Craig Forsyth

Richard246

I think he and Huddlestone were the 2 players who looked 100% sharp in both halves yesterday. 

he interchanged with Holmes on several occasions sometimes getting the ball in a forward position ahead of Holmes, sometimes in field of him and sometimes in a covering slot. One thing for sure, he always, as the cliche goes “wanted the ball” 

I thought he played brilliantly yesterday although I agree in part that he holds back at times and plays too safe a ball. In our current form I think he could be a touch braver. 

Well played Fozzie

it might be a rare thing to gasp at his skill but he really is getting back to his best and showing great form. 

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

I’ve never doubted Fozzie and for me he’s better than Malone. He’s a great pro; came back from 2 serious knee ligament tears. I remember when he first came on loan from Watford and played left-mid and I remarked on another board that he looked like a potential left-back who could “make the position his own for many seasons to come”. Yes he makes the odd loose pass but makes up for it with assists. When he puts in that trade-mark Mr Whippy he slices defenders in two and a goal often results.

He is playing very, very well at the moment no doubt about it, but in his 5 years as a Derby player he has provided 16 assists. So to suggest a goal “often” follows when he whips a ball in is stretching the reality somewhat. I do expect this to end up as his highest season ever by far though, even if he shares game time with malone 

1 minute ago, Doodle said:

He is playing very, very well at the moment no doubt about it, but in his 5 years as a Derby player he has provided 16 assists. So to suggest a goal “often” follows when he whips a ball in is stretching the reality somewhat. I do expect this to end up as his highest season ever by far though, even if he shares game time with malone 

What I actually said Sir is “When he puts in that trade mark Mr Whippy, ....”. Not everyone of his balls into the oppo box is a Mr Whippy...it’s only a Mr Whippy when he puts it into that corridor of uncertainty that catches defenders rocking off-balance between going backwards and standing-still; sort of rocking on their heals if you like as in the classic Mr Whippy he put in for the deft Will Hughes ankle flick v Brighton and yesterday for Mason to poke home. When he puts in a Mr Whippy, a goal often results @Doodle Sir. 

4 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

What I actually said Sir is “When he puts in that trade mark Mr Whippy, ....”. Not everyone of his balls into the oppo box is a Mr Whippy...it’s only a Mr Whippy when he puts it into that corridor of uncertainty that catches defenders rocking off-balance between going backwards and standing-still; sort of rocking on their heals if you like as in the classic Mr Whippy he put in for the deft Will Hughes ankle flick v Brighton and yesterday for Mason to poke home. When he puts in a Mr Whippy, a goal often results @Doodle Sir. 

Makes me wonder why he doesn’t use this mr whippy tactic more often if it’s often resulted in a massive 2 goals in 5 years. I think we just disagree over the subjective term “ often “. I would just add I don’t think he’s ever played better for us than this season and expect him to assist goals more often than any other season 

2 minutes ago, Doodle said:

Makes me wonder why he doesn’t use this mr whippy tactic more often if it’s often resulted in a massive 2 goals in 5 years. I think we just disagree over the subjective term “ often “. I would just add I don’t think he’s ever played better for us than this season and expect him to assist goals more often than any other season 

Yes...I suspect he tries to do it every time he crosses but often it doesn’t quite come off...I think it works when the ball is played back to him and he doesn’t think about it and hits it first time. it’s all about body shape, timing and the angle of delivery and somebody getting on the end of it. It’s beautiful when it happens to perfection which it does...now and again. 

I like fozzy he’s a traditional hardworking pro. He’s worked incredibly hard to be back playing first team footy after two serious knee injuries which would have broken some other players!

He has his failings, mainly his passing and his concentration but all players at this level have things they aren’t good at that’s why he plays for DCFC not man city. I think our fan base expects to see Marcelo and Alba sharing the LB slot sometimes.

This formation puts a lot of demand upon LB’s and we are lucky to have two good ones at this level. 

37 minutes ago, Doodle said:

So in 146 games he has 16 assists. Not bad for a full back.

How many from Wisdom? 

3 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

Yes...I suspect he tries to do it every time he crosses but often it doesn’t quite come off...I think it works when the ball is played back to him and he doesn’t think about it and hits it first time. it’s all about body shape, timing and the angle of delivery and somebody getting on the end of it. It’s beautiful when it happens to perfection which it does...now and again. 

There have been too many times under previous management set ups when he hasn’t been encouraged to try it or probably even discouraged. He’s now playing  in a system and team who are encouraged and expected to show what they can do rather than worry about what they can’t do. 

34 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

Most are two ball screwballs.

I think Fozzy's biggest fault is his fragile self-confidence. His defending is usually sound, but it's in his attacking play where his self-belief often deserts him, which is ironic given he started out as left-sided midfielder. Hopefully Frank and Jody will work on him and make him a more consistently good player.

The fitter Fozzy is, the better he is.

The bloke has come back back from some horrible injuries and his career could've been ruined by others trying to rush him back too soon, but he has knuckled down and fought his way back and is showing us what we have been missing for the last couple of seasons.

He might not be the quickest over the first 5 yards, but he makes up for that over the next 5 yards or more and did very well yesterday when winning a ball the Brum defender was trying to shepard out for a goal kick. He would always be my 1st choice leftback but probably gets a rest so as not to risk serious injury again.

33 minutes ago, KCG said:

I think Fozzy's biggest fault is his fragile self-confidence. His defending is usually sound, but it's in his attacking play where his self-belief often deserts him, which is ironic given he started out as left-sided midfielder. Hopefully Frank and Jody will work on him and make him a more consistently good player.

Definitely this, (and coincidentally a trait I’m guilty of), when he just plays without thinking he’s great, when he starts thinking about what could go wrong is when it does go wrong! 

46 minutes ago, sage said:

How many from Wisdom? 

146 games........you forget how long he’s been around sometimes!

must be doing something right to have been picked that many times under various managers!

2 hours ago, samtheram83 said:

I thought exactly this when he switched with Holmes and burst through the middle for the Marriott assist.

Some managers must be wondering how to take us on now as getting blown away is on the cards for some team soon. The interpassing is looking more instinctive and wow am excited. Rams players are expending nearly twice as much energy per game than last year. Keogh looks to be suffering the pace of it while some of the young lads look like they have been out for a stroll by comparison. Let us hope that it does not lead to injuries in the upcoming cold weather. COYR

3 hours ago, Mr Tibbs said:

I think the bold bit is the key here, agree completely. No surprise his best ever showings were when he had Wardy, Dawkins, Hughes, Thorne and Hendrick etc offering themselves at every opportunity. It's exactly the same now. He's got options, space and good passers around him. 

His left peg is great, even if some do end up in row Z at times... beauty of the Championship I guess. I thought he looked two yards off it all last year but it seems he just needed that season to get back to grips with his fitness and form because he's been good so far this year. Long may it continue. 

Great Post Mr T. ?

2 hours ago, Doodle said:

He's had very nearly two years out through injury or recovering match fitness.

1 hour ago, sage said:

How many from Wisdom? 

So that's an assist every nine and a quarter games. Personally I don't think that's bad for a full back.

1 hour ago, KCG said:

I think more than any other regular member the squad, he's a confidence player so those who are quick to moan, groan and even boo him when he misplaces a pass just think you're really not helping the lad. Never met him but judging by how he interviews he seems a quiet, almost shy individual so criticism from his own supporters may get to him more- delighted that FL recognises his qualities more than some fans do.

4 hours ago, The Key Club King said:

This thread brilliantly reflects fans' opinions of him from one game to the next.

Can I just say that he is neither great nor awful? Just sort of alright. You know, fine. He'll do.

To paraphrase Rab C Nesbit to his dolled-up wife - "you look better than alright. You look - not bad".

Nah - in the context of this league and based on current form, Fozzy is far more attractive than Rab's missus.

3 hours ago, Doodle said:

Past performance is no indicator, blah blah.... Given he's spent the thick end of 3 years out I'm amazed he's even still playing. Not many return to absolute peak form from a single cruciate, let alone 2. This season he is getting regular games in an attacking side where he has outlets for his passing. His confidence is at a good level and he is fitter than I think I've ever seen him. He also seems to be enjoying his football more. For these reasons I'd rather assess him on current form than what's gone before. I'd not be surprised to see an assist figure this season of 7-8 because when he's good, he's really good.

1 hour ago, 86 points said:

Nah - in the context of this league and based on current form, Fozzy is far more attractive than Rab's missus.

Past performance is no indicator, blah blah.... Given he's spent the thick end of 3 years out I'm amazed he's even still playing. Not many return to absolute peak form from a single cruciate, let alone 2. This season he is getting regular games in an attacking side where he has outlets for his passing. His confidence is at a good level and he is fitter than I think I've ever seen him. He also seems to be enjoying his football more. For these reasons I'd rather assess him on current form than what's gone before. I'd not be surprised to see an assist figure this season of 7-8 because when he's good, he's really good.

Well said, options going forward and encouragement to try things makes the world of difference 

Archived