Autism

McRainy

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
32 minutes ago, McLovin said:

Many autistic people are more intelligent than the average person. It’s not a disease but the stigma is very bad. Likewise with dyslexia. Einstein was dyslexic. Isaac Newton has autism. 

Regardless of level of functioning, in terms of mainstream society, everyone has the right to be themselves. 

• 4 months later...

More and more i seem to believe Billy may have autism. The wife is convinced and she is devastated by the thought of it.

In general it doesn't make a difference to me but i do worry for him, more in the sense of him being treated differently in the future.

My mind is all over the place to be honest!

2 hours ago, Smyth_18 said:

More and more i seem to believe Billy may have autism. The wife is convinced and she is devastated by the thought of it.

In general it doesn't make a difference to me but i do worry for him, more in the sense of him being treated differently in the future.

I take it Billy is your son, how old is he, and what has led you to think this?

All kids develop at different paces, so maybe you're fretting unnecessarily.

It must be worrying, have you seen your GP about it?

If you don't mind talking about it, what makes you think that mate? Genuinely interested in the signs that suggest it at such a young age.

Ok, so there's things that make me 50/50 on whether he is autistic or not. He has just turned 2.

Things that make us think he may be;

- Doesn't play with a lot of toys how they should be played with, he loves making piles.
- Very fussy eater, doesn't do a varied diet whatsoever. As well as this will only drink milk. Won't feed himself with a spoon etc.
- Very sensitive of noise. Hates when an aeroplane goes overhead.
- Language delay. Only says a few words.
- Repetitive play. Like repeatedly pressing a button on a toy.
- There are others this is just a quick run through.

On the other side;

- He Sleeps through the night.
- loves playing with other children (i.e chase games)
- Can follow 2 step instructions such as. 'get a nappy and go up to bed'.
- When reading books he interacts with the reader & points things out.
- finishes songs such as 'row, row' with a scream or roar.
- Eye contact is brilliant

26 minutes ago, McRamFan said:

@Smyth_18

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/autism/symptoms/

https://www.centreofexcellence.com/early-signs-of-autism/

A friend of mine has brought up a child that had autisic traits, there is no test, and the traits can vary so much.  Hopefully the two links will help.  Get him tested by the NHS.

Thank you. The thought of him failing the tickbox exercises would panic me big time and i am dreading his 2 year review.

The 2nd article has appeased me a little.

Ok, so there's things that make me 50/50 on whether he is autistic or not. He has just turned 2.

Things that make us think he may be;

- Doesn't play with a lot of toys how they should be played with, he loves making piles.
- Very fussy eater, doesn't do a varied diet whatsoever. As well as this will only drink milk. Won't feed himself with a spoon etc.
- Very sensitive of noise. Hates when an aeroplane goes overhead.
- Language delay. Only says a few words.
- Repetitive play. Like repeatedly pressing a button on a toy.
- There are others this is just a quick run through.

On the other side;

- He Sleeps through the night.
- loves playing with other children (i.e chase games)
- Can follow 2 step instructions such as. 'get a nappy and go up to bed'.
- When reading books he interacts with the reader & points things out.
- finishes songs such as 'row, row' with a scream or roar.
- Eye contact is brilliant

Generally these two would indicate there is no severe autism, but it is a spectrum, and some of the others could be indicators. Too early to say though. Once their language starts to come you will have a better idea. The more obvious ones that show strong autistic traits are lack of understanding of nuance/sarcasm/metaphor ie taking stuff literally, not getting jokes - but then also copying others behaviour to mask it. Having really strong special interests too that they obsess over for months, and then suddenly change and obsess over something else. Also lack of emotional bonding.

Delayed language, being a fussy git, disliking noise, repetitive play - these are all equally signs of normal baby twattery  ?

It's a tricky one. My youngest clearly has some very mild autistic traits (in fact a lot of the same ones you listed at that age), but probably no more than me and his mum. My niece on the other hand has some very strong ones, but the school haven't picked it up and none of us dare mention it to her parents. She is very good at disguising it (this is common  amongst young females with autism). I can't understand how her parents don't see it.

Bottom line is it's really difficult to generalise as everything we've both listed could just as easily be normal behaviour. If you're still worried about it by the time he's starting school you should chat to the doctor and get him professionally assessed. Even if they conclude there is some autism, it's not the end of the world. There is so much more help and awareness of it these days. And you shouldn't stress about it now. There is no ailment that you worrying about it will cure...just enjoy these years. They don't stay young very long ?

Archived