Autism

McRainy

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cold logic rules with Oliver (my grandson).

Oliver's mum: "How many times do you have to tickle an octopus in order to make it laugh?"

Oliver: "I wasn't aware that an octopus could laugh."

Oliver's mum: "The answer is tentacles"

Oliver: "Shouldn't that be eightacles? Tentacles would be for a squid"

I have BPD/EUPD which shares a lot of challenges with ASCs.

I have a couple of autistic friends and we tend to have the most rewarding conversations with each other.

PistoldPete2
On 9 May 2018 at 09:51, Lambchop said:

I thought they had only recently moved to this.. Ie Asperger's syndrome is now just part of the autism spectrum rather than its own syndrome. Or maybe that's just because Asperger was a nAzi so best forgotten about. 

34 minutes ago, PistoldPete2 said:

maybe that's just because Asperger was a nAzi so best forgotten about. 

I get the impression it’s partly that, although the article does seem to spell out pros and cons either way.

Umbrella terms are generalisations, by definition, so I can see that it is useful to be able to speak of certain profiles more specifically, particularly as the newer ones like PDA are still being ratified. 

I think the main thing is to avoid judgemental terms like high and low functioning, although some people at different ends of the spectrum might not like being lumped together. 

PistoldPete2
3 hours ago, Lambchop said:

I get the impression it’s partly that, although the article does seem to spell out pros and cons either way.

Umbrella terms are generalisations, by definition, so I can see that it is useful to be able to speak of certain profiles more specifically, particularly as the newer ones like PDA are still being ratified. 

I think the main thing is to avoid judgemental terms like high and low functioning, although some people at different ends of the spectrum might not like being lumped together. 

I never understood what high functioning etc meant. One person I know who is described as high functioning is really not functioning very well at all as I see it although that is due I think to mental health issues as well as autism .

24 minutes ago, PistoldPete2 said:

I never understood what high functioning etc meant. One person I know who is described as high functioning is really not functioning very well at all as I see it although that is due I think to mental health issues as well as autism .

I think it just means without learning difficulties, so average intelligence or above. Don’t think it refers to how well you cope emotionally or socially. 

35 minutes ago, PistoldPete2 said:

"high-functioning" changes its meaning depending on the condition it prefixes. 

High-functioning autism is related to IQ, most autism sufferers have lower IQs

It is most commonly used when sufferers of a condition have the ability to mask their condition, so they appear 'normal'. Examples being a high-functioning sociopath, high-functioning depression, high-functioning alcoholism.

It can in some cases be more literal, being a sufferer that is of high status - such as a doctor or politician. This is most commonly used for psychopaths. 

PistoldPete2
1 hour ago, Lambchop said:

I think it just means without learning difficulties, so average intelligence or above. Don’t think it refers to how well you cope emotionally or socially. 

Well why mention it ? What relevance is someone's iq to the fact that they are autistic? 

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎29‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 06:43, Angry Ram said:

My wife works with autistic kids, loves it, very rewarding... However she is showing traits herself now. 

She has a routine for everything. Getting up, going to bed, washing her hair the lot. If I turn a light out before she has opened her kindle she can’t cope. I do it just to pee her off :lol:

Mine does too.  She's the Professional Lead for Autism and Learning Disabilities across two English counties. She's also a finalist in the Learning Disability Nurse of the Year Awards next month so I'm a bit chuffed for her. Autism is always on the agenda in our house not something to be hidden away. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
On ‎29‎/‎05‎/‎2018 at 14:17, admira said:

Mine does too.  She's the Professional Lead for Autism and Learning Disabilities across two English counties. She's also a finalist in the Learning Disability Nurse of the Year Awards next month so I'm a bit chuffed for her. Autism is always on the agenda in our house not something to be hidden away. 

She only went and won it too! Dead proud.

http://www.nsft.nhs.uk/Pages/Sue-is-the-best-learning-disability-nurse-in-England.aspx

Archived