Autism

McRainy

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not sure if this has been posted before but very useful

https://psychology-tools.com/autism-spectrum-quotient

I scored 35 which didnt come as much of a surprise.

Unfortunately i didnt get the good stuff like being good at maths or counting cards

I have OCD which can get bad at times and im a bit of a loner, i find social situations uncomfortable, i dont like it when loads of people are talking it just becomes a noise, i cant make out what people are saying ,i prefer peace and quiet.

PistoldPete2
On 19/07/2018 at 12:38, Bwash_Ram said:

Not sure if this has been posted before but very useful

https://psychology-tools.com/autism-spectrum-quotient

I scored 35 which didnt come as much of a surprise.

Unfortunately i didnt get the good stuff like being good at maths or counting cards

I have OCD which can get bad at times and im a bit of a loner, i find social situations uncomfortable, i dont like it when loads of people are talking it just becomes a noise, i cant make out what people are saying ,i prefer peace and quiet.

I scored 27 which makes me borderline Aspergers which I would have guessed too. I think we all have done autism in us especially blokes ... and especially blokes who spend ages on internet forumsInternet forums

PistoldPete2
13 hours ago, sage said:

Scored 8.

Lightweight. TBH, my score would have been higher  if they'd asked the questions a bit differently. I like social occasions, but find them very tiring and hard work, not a natural.  And I am not obsessed by numbers but I do like a bit of algebra. 

PistoldPete2
On 21/07/2018 at 09:26, Lambchop said:

Whatever very fair concerns there are for the health and even lives of autistic people I actually think that is a very poor article. You don’t have to be a mathematician autistic or otherwise to realise those stats are complete rubbish. 

No real reasons were offered for why such a low age at death could arise . Murder by the carers ? I mean it happens I’m sure especially in America but not in enough numbers to affect the mortality rates. She mentions 500 murders ilof disabled people. That’s a small percentage and most autistic people wouldn’t count as disabled.

and she objects to carers getting lower sentences . Really? Surely say a carer for someone with Alzheimer’s would be under intolerable stress and  and that has to be a mitigating factor. 

All round a really bad article . I would like to see a proper article on the health impact of autistic conditions but this isn’t it.

9 minutes ago, PistoldPete2 said:

All round a really bad article . I would like to see a proper article on the health impact of autistic conditions but this isn’t it.

Fair enough. I posted it because it highlights some of the difficulties that you live with if you are 'high functioning' enough to appear 'normal', which is something that resonates with me personally. 

The scariest stat was the nine times more likely to die by suicide, presumably as a result of the greatly increased anxiety levels, and the sheer exhaustion involved in constantly masking your traits. 

I've seen a number of articles by autistic people recently, of varying quality, but worth listening to nonetheless, because autistic people speaking for themselves can only lead to greater understanding, and a breakdown of the usual stereotypes. 

On 21/07/2018 at 09:26, Lambchop said:

Absolute rubbish.

Most of my experience with autism is with people who are considered 'low functioning'. I think the youngest is 31 and the oldest is 73.

I support around 10 adult men at the moment, all with co-morbid conditions such as epilepsy, bi-polar and schizophrenia. Diabetes too.

It's extremely difficult to encourage somebody who's life is extremely affected by their autism to follow a healthy diet, yet the 73 year old with diabetes, schizophrenia and other life threatening ailments such as a pulmonary embolism and asthma is still going strong. 

39 minutes ago, blackNwhites said:

Most of my experience with autism is with people who are considered 'low functioning'. I think the youngest is 31 and the oldest is 73.

As mentioned above, it's a particular person's viewpoint.

Your experience may be different, but that doesn't mean someone else's is 'absolute rubbish'. 

PistoldPete2
1 hour ago, Lambchop said:

Fair enough. I posted it because it highlights some of the difficulties that you live with if you are 'high functioning' enough to appear 'normal', which is something that resonates with me personally. 

The scariest stat was the nine times more likely to die by suicide, presumably as a result of the greatly increased anxiety levels, and the sheer exhaustion involved in constantly masking your traits. 

I've seen a number of articles by autistic people recently, of varying quality, but worth listening to nonetheless, because autistic people speaking for themselves can only lead to greater understanding, and a breakdown of the usual stereotypes. 

Yes I think suicide would be the most likely contributor to premature death , and the complex interaction between autism and anxiety and depression. 

• 2 months later...

Archived