Reading sack Stam, hire Clement

Day

Our left side was Warnock, Shackell, Russell and Bradley Johnson. That was the preferred left half of a footballing Clement team. 

I think they once passed the halfway line but I can't be sure which game it was

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The biggest issue in the Clement era was adaptation.

He couldn't adapt to the Championship, and Championship players couldn't adapt to him.

I'm convinced he would be a quality manager at a top club. Basically, it was he who trained Real Madrid, and he applied the same set-up here at Derby and that is where he and we came up short.

He organized the defence, the shape of the team was very good, and the ideals were great. The biggest issue, though, is we had Championship players and not Champions League players.

Clement at Madrid set them up to be typically like a rock out of possession, and when on the ball, it's easy to train world class players to create space, apply quick one-touch passing and move through the thirds. Oh, it's also handy when you've Cristiano Ronaldo, Karim Benzema and Gareth Bale as a front three too, as each can win you the game with a piece of individual brilliance.

We never had that at Derby, obviously... Therefore the passing was so much slower, the movement was so much slower and predictable, and we had nobody (and I include Ince and Martin in this) who could regularly produce individual match-winning moments.

It's why we generally looked solid that season, well up until January. We beat Hull away 2-0, drew with Sheff Wed 0-0 without them creating anything. I think we lost just once in 18 games or something. But it was turgid, because we didn't have the players to play the way Clement wanted.

We were a decent Championship side, we could dominate possession and have a good shape. But it was all too slow, we didn't have a Modric or Isco to play killer passes, we had Jacob Butterfield who was happy to make 10-yard sideways passes and Jeff Hendrick who was a pressure midfielder.

The players also recognised they were uncapable of doing what Clement asked, and there was obvious frustration from both sides. Clement so used to working with world class players probably got infuriated when Bradley Johnson couldn't make simply 10-yard passes.

Likewise, Championship players are used to being trained a certain way. I mean how can you train Cristiano Ronaldo, he basically trains himself. As a coach you can't improve his technique, he will do that himself. But Johnny Russell for instance. I mean, it's not like you just train your team to then give the ball to Russell in the final third and expect him to produce magic.

It was all wrong. So Naive.

11 hours ago, theroyal said:

Thing is, that might be what we need. Our defence has been shocking this season. The way I see it, our owners are trying not to abandon the possession-based system that worked so well last season but are trying to shore us up at the back.

Stam got sussed out tactically, and we couldn't handle it when teams pressed us up high, or sat in deep. I think the only times we've won this season have been when the opposition did neither of those things and we've actually looked really impressive. We absolutely took Villa apart in August. It's been a strange season...

Clement seems odds-on now, to be honest, I don't mind who we get at this point as long as they come in and get us clear of the drop. I'll worry about the rest in the summer. 

Think we're more of a "puff around slowly in the centre circle" kind of side.

No wonder you've done so well against us this season :lol:

23 hours ago, MuespachRam said:

Good luck with him if that's who you get he was absolutely turgid here...the most boring manager and worst football we have played in years and years......Give it 2 months and you will be saying just the same as we do..........he is just an over paid PE teacher.

Has Pearson been shut away in a dark corner of your mind, then?

1 hour ago, cannable said:

Clement spent over £25,000,000 on the best Derby side in 15 years and made it worse 

Trying to add up in my head 6m Bradley 4m butters 3m Blackman 2m weimann?

Who have I forgotten?

arguably Bradley and butters only arrived as a result of more appalling luck with injuries and there’s no evidence that Clement was banging on the table to sign them had those injuries not happened.

6 minutes ago, HantsRam said:

Who have I forgotten?

arguably Bradley and butters only arrived as a result of more appalling luck with injuries and there’s no evidence that Clement was banging on the table to sign them had those injuries not happened.

Butters has since been revealed to be £5,000,000 rising to £6,000,000, BJ has been revealed to be £7,000,000, Camara £1,500,000, Ince £4,750,000, Shackell £2,500,000, Olson £500,000, Carson £250,000 and the aforementioned Blackman and Weimann

39 minutes ago, HantsRam said:

Who have I forgotten?

Camara, Ince, Shackell and Ollson

5 hours ago, Gypsy Ram said:

If people thought Clement was bad, I wonder what they think of Gary Rowet?

That he’s achieved just as much, with not really a worse style of play, while making a profit rather than a 25 million pound loss? Clement is basically the anti Rowett, never passes forward rather than looking to pass forward even when it’s not on, but ultimately they achieve they same thing- but one requires a huge amount of money. I know who’s been better for the future of derby county..

Archived