Serie A title race

Jourdan

6 hours ago, MuespachRam said:

Thanks for trying Napoli...now let the big boys walk away with the league again. 

City, Barca, Munich, Juve, Celtic Paris

now who would have predicted that at the start of the season......?

And then throw in Real,Barca,City and Bayern being in the semi of the chumpions league.... who said money can’t buy you trophies.....?

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I went to my fourth Napoli game at the weekend. On my birthday no less.

Napoli were box office yet again - creating tens of chances, missing a penalty, hitting the woodwork twice, coaxing save after save from the keeper.

Napoli 0-1 Chievo and with 10 minutes left, many Napoli fans decided to head for the exits with the title dream up in smoke.

2 goals in the final four minutes and the dream is still alive. Look up reactions to Diawara’s last minute goal on YouTube. The atmosphere was incredible.

And oh look, Roma - a mere 4th in Serie A - knocking out Barcelona over two legs.

Italian football really isn’t as bad as the experts would have you believe. :ph34r:

Napoli play Udinese at San Paolo in midweek next week - adult ticket prices start at €8!

One standard Margherita pizza at a typical cafe or restaurant in the city is €4.

A 2 on the MPI index.

I wonder how other European clubs - particularly those clubs Napoli were expected to compete with in the Champions League or the Europa League - compare based on their cheapest matchday ticket prices.

Against Chievo, prices started at €10 and this was met with high demand, but €8 for a night of top flight Italian football seems one step better - an excellent price, considering that the club could have hiked prices given that these games are at the business end of the season and the Scudetto is at stake.

I’ll be at work, so I won’t be able to go, but such sensible pricing will mean so many others will and that’s great. 

12 hours ago, Jourdan said:

I went to my fourth Napoli game at the weekend. On my birthday no less.

Napoli were box office yet again - creating tens of chances, missing a penalty, hitting the woodwork twice, coaxing save after save from the keeper.

Napoli 0-1 Chievo and with 10 minutes left, many Napoli fans decided to head for the exits with the title dream up in smoke.

2 goals in the final four minutes and the dream is still alive. Look up reactions to Diawara’s last minute goal on YouTube. The atmosphere was incredible.

And oh look, Roma - a mere 4th in Serie A - knocking out Barcelona over two legs.

Italian football really isn’t as bad as the experts would have you believe. :ph34r:

Firstly. Happy birthday...! It was officially the coolest weekend in the calendar to have a birthday Last weekend....!! 

Was lucky enough to go to Napoli’s stadium a couple of times, it is great...looks like a good gust of wind will knock it over but it is just great.  

They won’t win the league this year but it is always nice to see one of the other Serie A teams giving it a go. 

On 11/04/2018 at 11:45, MuespachRam said:

Firstly. Happy birthday...! It was officially the coolest weekend in the calendar to have a birthday Last weekend....!! 

Was lucky enough to go to Napoli’s stadium a couple of times, it is great...looks like a good gust of wind will knock it over but it is just great.  

They won’t win the league this year but it is always nice to see one of the other Serie A teams giving it a go. 

Thanks for the best wishes, Muespach.

After today’s results, it seems that you are right. Juve now have a 6 point lead with just 6 games to go. There is still time for a miraculous twist but it will likely require Napoli to win all six and Juve to drop points at least three times, with Inter and Roma most likely to lend a helping hand.

The trouble is Juve look hard to stop right now - they have been freakishly consistent in winning 15 of their last 16 league games and dropping just 2 points out of a possible 48.

People will say Napoli ‘bottled it’ but I disagree. You’ll notice their form in the last 16 games is identical to the form of their first 16 - so in truth they have been consistently very good but they have simply been unable to find another gear like Juventus have - the kind of gear you can find when you have a strong, deep, experienced squad - the majority of which are used to winning and some of which have won six titles in a row.

I think the big turning point in the season was Roma at home. Napoli were enjoying a 10-match winning run and matching Juve stride for stride, but that defeat was such a damaging one because they haven’t looked the same since. They have played with fear.

It will be interesting to see what happens over the summer and whether they are able to build on such a good campaign. I think it will be very difficult because 4-5 of their regular first XI and even the coach could leave and some of them will be extremely hard to replace.

Oh well, maybe next year...

Don’t get me wrong, I’d absolutely love it with Napoli won the league because they play the best football, arguably in Europe alongside Man City but it is in their recent history to fall when the pressure is on. They are the Italian arsenal/spurs in that respect. They don’t have many leaders in their team, arguably the only player with a winning mentality is Hamsik and even he hasn’t been at his best for some time. 

Archived