Serie A title race

Jourdan

Anyone following Serie A this season - on BT Sport, perhaps?

I'm living in Naples at the moment. Now this is a city that is passionate about football! 

The atmosphere at San Paolo is incredible and naturally there is a massive feel-good factor and sense of togetherness around the city with the club battling for the rarest of Scudetto triumphs - the last one being 28 years ago!

The title race is really close and hard to call and the mood in the city reflects that.

There is huge excitement but also tension over whether Napoli will unseat Juve, with twists and turns happening every weekend. The whole city is dreaming, believing more and more with every win and mourning like they have lost a great love after every dropped point.

For those who were in any doubt, I can confirm Napoli are very much a thrilling side to watch and far more entertaining and unpredictable to watch than Manchester City. There were 15 goals in the three games I went to recently.

And certainly their players will be high in demand come the summer. Jorginho being a prime example. He is an exquisite footballer. It'd be interesting to see how he'd fare in the Premier League. He reminds me of Iniesta in the way he passes the ball, creates time and space for himself, always looks calm and composed and shows a great first touch and vision. He's superb technically - he would slot in perfectly alongside Dembele or Wanyama for Spurs, as an example.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Used to love Serie A back in the Channel 4 days. And loved the Milan dream team a bit later. Nesta, Maldini, Pirlo, Gattuso, Ambrosini, Kaka, Shevchenko, Seedorf, Inzaghi, Cafu... :wub::wub:

Still watch the odd bit but not enough.

Hope Napoli do win it as I don't like Allegri's style. It's attack, score and then sit on it. Unless it's someone they can bully. 

They're a world class version of Derby under Nigel Clough. 

Last time I saw them was against Atalanta. They were great up until they were dull as a Mourinho side parking the bus. 

Allegri was similar at Milan too. 

People seem to look past it though. Maybe it's because he's a foreign object and when he comes to the PL then people will drop out his bum. 

Like Arsenal with Aubameyang. The goal scoring legend that's way better than the simple PL donkey. Looks pretty human now doesn't he?

Still have a real soft spot for Serie a . As @Alpha mentioned I grew up watching it on Channel 4 as a kid and watched it religiously. 

Never really liked Juventus , AC Milan were my team but think it will be a while before we see them win another scudetto.

I had the chance to go to the Milan Derby a few years back and stupidly turned it down , I'll make the trip over and attend s Serie a game one day. 

I follow it to the extent that I continually hope that the disgraceful cheating bribing pustulent boil that is Juventus get their come-uppance and get wiped off the face of the Earth like smallpox and polio.

Sith Happens
3 minutes ago, eddie said:

I follow it to the extent that I continually hope that the disgraceful cheating bribing pustulent boil that is Juventus get their come-uppance and get wiped off the face of the Earth like smallpox and polio.

Don't beat about the bush, say what you really mean.:D

Serie A is full of big names who are generally average.

In Napoli, Juve, Inter, Milan, Lazio and Roma there is potential for that league to be one of best in Europe.

Unfortunately though, those top clubs aren’t even as good as Arsenal whicj shows how poor the standard is.

Juve are decent, Napoli are probably just a little better than Arsenal’s current level. City battered them, and Shakthar were better than them.

Their games are more exciting that City because they’re nowhere near as good. They press really well, play attacking football against rubbish opponents yet still concede goals so I can definitely see the attraction with lots of goals and open football.

City just dominate and cruise to wins. For the neutral, I can see why that would be boring.

1 hour ago, Bris Vegas said:

In Napoli, Juve, Inter, Milan, Lazio and Roma there is potential for that league to be one of best in Europe.

Unfortunately though, those top clubs aren’t even as good as Arsenal whicj shows how poor the standard is.

Juve are decent, Napoli are probably just a little better than Arsenal’s current level. City battered them, and Shakthar were better than them.

Their games are more exciting that City because they’re nowhere near as good. They press really well, play attacking football against rubbish opponents yet still concede goals so I can definitely see the attraction with lots of goals and open football.

City just dominate and cruise to wins. For the neutral, I can see why that would be boring.

And people wonder why fans of Derby lose all perspective and criticize a lot of the time. All those teams are flippin good. As are most of the sides in the premiership and quite a few in the championship and various other teams around the world. Just because football has allowed obscene wealth allow a few clubs to produce freak teams doesn't mean all the others are "poor". They just are below the standard of the artificial elite. Get some perspective for goodness sake. Does my head in it really does!! UTR

34 minutes ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

And people wonder why fans of Derby lose all perspective and criticize a lot of the time. All those teams are flippin good. As are most of the sides in the premiership and quite a few in the championship and various other teams around the world. Just because football has allowed obscene wealth allow a few clubs to produce freak teams doesn't mean all the others are "poor". They just are below the standard of the artificial elite. Get some perspective for goodness sake. Does my head in it really does!! UTR

The Premier League is crap. Even one of the biggest teams in the countries, and a regular top-six side, play crap football. 

On the flip side, I think Fulham for instance play great football and have a quality team. I think a lot of it isn't just based on what you see, but based on howmuch potential a team has and how good they ultimately 'should' be.

I know the likes of Roma, Lazio, Juve, Napoli, Inter and Milan are good. Undoubtedly, they're miles better than say Ipswich Town. Bit considering the size of those clubs, they should be much better. Don't you remember the 90s? Or the Milan side under Ancelotti? That Milan side would wipe the floor with Milan's current side.

And for the money the Premier League clubs spend, they should be miles better and far more entertaining. How can United play such crap football when they've spent about half a billion in the past few seasons on that squad.

I have perspective. I praise clubs who play great football in relation to their resources, and I blast others who play crap football compared to their resources or potential.

Italy and Germany both have a host of really top clubs, with fabulous stadiums and so much potential. But so many are massively underperforming and I largely blame the Premier League for it. All the top players go to England for the money, yet 75% of the PL play crap football. It's a real turn off.

11 hours ago, RiddingsRam said:

Still have a real soft spot for Serie a . As @Alpha mentioned I grew up watching it on Channel 4 as a kid and watched it religiously. 

Never really liked Juventus , AC Milan were my team but think it will be a while before we see them win another scudetto.

I had the chance to go to the Milan Derby a few years back and stupidly turned it down , I'll make the trip over and attend s Serie a game one day. 

I hope if you do go you have a much better experience of it than I did.

It had been on my sporting bucket list for a long while.

Nothing prepared me for the pure nasty atmosphere,  I couldn't understand how they allowed the seating arrangement the way they did with the Milan supporters sitting underneath the Inter ultras who were on the second tier.

Grown men standing over the barrier and peeing on fans below, spit raining down to the extent it was sickening, bottles thrown ax if it were the most natural thing in the world.

I've never been so afraid in my whole life.

A horrible experience and one I wouldn't wish on anyone.

I'd suggest if you do go you buy one of the cheaper seats in the heavens, the view is a little bit like our see on a computer game but at least you're relatively out of the way.

It's quite a lot less controlled than England that's for sure. Had friends be told to "Leave the Ultras section or things will get very bad for you" at Lazio this year by some pretty threatening blokes, purely for being English.

When we went Stadio Olimpico a couple of years back it was a bit of an eye opener. Monkey chants, glass bottles thrown at stewards throughout the game around the pitch, flares, no stewards or police in the stands, smoking and drinking in the stands... some good things, some bad. The whole thing is just so much less polished than English football, which is a large part of the charm but also highlights why a lot of the grounds sometimes barely reach 2/3rds capacity.

As for the league, can't look past Atalanta at the moment for my favourite side. Great job for such a comparitively small club to make the Europa, playing some great stuff and then nearly knocking Dortmund out.

And yes, I miss Football Italia, James Richardson, newspaper reviews in some piazza whilst supping an Espresso, Peter Brackley, Kenneth Wolstenholme, Gazza's diaries, San Siro fog, Elvis Costello making a guest appearance at half time of the Genovese derby, Vialli, Zola, Del Piero, Totti... best football show ever.

2 hours ago, ronnieronalde said:

I hope if you do go you have a much better experience of it than I did.

It had been on my sporting bucket list for a long while.

Nothing prepared me for the pure nasty atmosphere,  I couldn't understand how they allowed the seating arrangement the way they did with the Milan supporters sitting underneath the Inter ultras who were on the second tier.

Grown men standing over the barrier and peeing on fans below, spit raining down to the extent it was sickening, bottles thrown ax if it were the most natural thing in the world.

I've never been so afraid in my whole life.

A horrible experience and one I wouldn't wish on anyone.

I'd suggest if you do go you buy one of the cheaper seats in the heavens, the view is a little bit like our see on a computer game but at least you're relatively out of the way.

Ronnie, 

I'm sorry you had such a horrible experience. Although I haven't experienced anything to that extent, I tend to agree there is a sense that the fans govern themselves once inside the stadium. And certainly it might have a lawless and unsafe feel if you are a tourist, or a family with young children. To their credit, Napoli have a family area in the stadium with discounted tickets but the overall atmosphere is a fine line between passionate and hostile, for sure. Certainly there are times when it feels unsavoury.

It's interesting that you mentioned the interaction between rival fans. For Napoli v Roma, away fans or fans from the Lazio region were unable to buy tickets. When away fans are allowed to attend, they are placed in a small corner of the lower bowl and literally caged in.

The spectator experience is not in any way comparable to the more sterile matchday experience we see in England nowadays. 

In the San Paolo for example, fans not only stand but stand on seats, fans congregate in the gangways, the ultras have designated parts of the stadium where they are led by a 'conductor' with a megaphone and there is very much a 'code of conduct' in these areas, vendors snake between the fans selling refreshments, there are flags, banners, flares and visual displays galore. With the Italians, this is what is normal for them. So they can take it in their stride rather unflinchingly, I suppose.

It's certainly a colourful and enjoyable experience and you can't help get drawn by it. Certainly though, there are times where you begin to miss the comforts you get in English football, because many of the stadiums are owned by the local municipalities and and as such have very archaic facilities which are behind the times.

What I will say is that I don't think the stadiums are half full because of the spectator experience. Naples is not a very affluent city and Italians generally don't have a lot of disposable income. Coming from England, the ticket prices will seem very cheap but to a local, far from it.

On top of that, the city has a very insufficient public transport network meaning that most people depend on their cars to get from A to B. On a matchday, the traffic is horrendous and parking is at a premium which could be a further deterrent.

There is also the sheer number of televised games, which means fans always have the option to watch the match from home or in a nearby bar. It's often considerably cheaper, especially if you watch with a group of friends. This is because in the majority of bars, if you buy an aperitif for 5-6 euros, it is served with a snack platter. And at home, you can get a fresh pizza delivered and some beers for under 10 euros.

8 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

While I agree that some of these clubs - Inter and Milan in particular - are not at the level they once were, I think you are doing Italian football a disservice.

Considering the huge disparity in resources, Italian teams compete well on the European stage. Juventus have reached two European finals in three years for starters and right now, Italy have the same number of teams left in European competitions as England do. In direct competition this season, the record between Italian and English clubs is an even 4-2-4.

Napoli remind me of Liverpool under Klopp. On their day, they would beat every team in England's top six. They just play with an intensity, a freedom, an openness, arguably a naivety that is endearing. They are not going to manage games like United under Mourinho and they are not going to dominate like City do under Pep. Both teams are a work in progress and both teams are still trying to establish a level of consistency at the top table. 

Juventus stylistically are not very appealing, but they are experienced, streetwise and used to winning. At the moment, they are arguably better than all of the top six in England - because they have dominated their domestic league for so long and they have come closer to winning the Champions League than any of our teams in recent years.

The challenge for Italian football is to get more investment and for the clubs to be managed cleverly, otherwise they will be left behind by English and Spanish clubs. This is arguably already happening. 

Take Napoli - how are they expected to compete with top English clubs? Was it really a surprise that City had too much for them? They are very green in European terms. They have no pedigree on the European stage, sans a UEFA Cup win just under 30 years ago. They are very much a work in progress and moving forward, they will probably adopt the Dortmund model. The traditionally big clubs like Milan and Inter are still in recovery mode.

I don't think it's the standard of football that is the issue. It's the lack of marketability, it's the lack of sustainable investment, it's the years of financial mismanagement, it's the air of corruption that plagues the Italian game.

Most top players are not drawn to Serie A these days and until the likes of Milan and Inter rise again, that won't change.

It’s just so different to the modern day matchday experience in England, RiddingsRam. Like Joe said, both in good ways and bad ways.

Even getting a ticket is not straightforward.

You have to buy tickets at licensed vendors and present your passport to buy a ticket and enter the ground. You need a membership card as a minimum to travel to away games.

What I found most interesting is the network of touts around San Paolo openly preying on people who don’t know fully how it works.

I once went down to the stadium on the day of the game expecting there to be a nearby sales point and instead was directed to tout after tout.

There was a funny moment where one particular tout was so determined to sell me a ticket that he was negotiating with me in the middle of the street, trying to take my money and run.

€70 for Napoli v Verona and being turned away, no thanks!

4 hours ago, RamNut said:

How come you live in Naples?

whats that like?. 

Ramnut, I teach English here - in different parts of the city and the wider metropolitan area in and around Mount Vesuvius.

I’ve only been here since September. Before I was in St. Petersburg.

It has been a mixed experience so far - good times and bad times - but definitely a worthwhile one.

I have heard many people say Naples is dangerous but I haven’t felt that. I think if you are sensible, you will be fine.

Aesthetically, it’s not a typically beautiful city like Florence, for example. In many parts, it’s dirty and rough but that reflects the fact that it’s a working class city. 

But if you can look beyond that, you will see that the people make the city with their energy, their passion, their spirit and their craft. They are obsessed with food and football. They are very protective of their language, food and traditions and it can sometimes feel like they operate in closed circles but Neapolitan people are good people on the whole.

It’s definitely a place that thrives in the summer, especially being on the doorstep of the Amalfi Coast.

There's a good Podcast that James Richardson does with Gabriele Marcotti and James Horncastle called Golazzo - The Totally Italian Football Show that might be of interest to fans of Serie A. Recalls some of the highlights of the 90's glory days, some in depth stuff on Buffon, Maldini, Maradona etc as well as current news.

Newest episode recalls Lazio of the 70's who were basically the original Crazy Gang; massive split in the dressing room between fascists and commies, got promoted, manager died of cancer, a player got shot dead in a jewellery store robbery, had a shooting range and full arsenal at their training ground, won Serie A, then got relegated in a match fixing scandal within 6 years.

Worth a listen for half hour.

Archived