$500,000 a month playing video games

David

23 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

I don't understand why people look at streamers, youtubers and other such people with so much disdain at times.

These are predominantly young people that have found a way of becoming successful by utilising the technology available to them. It's a lot of work recording, editing and marketing enough material to build and then capitalise on their fan base.

I think they should be applauded. 

Its probably a generation thing.  My kids both love watching youtubers/streamers etc, personally I'd much rather be playing the game myself instead of watching someone else play the game.

I've uploaded a few videos to youtube myself and streamed a few times - a lot of work goes into both (and you get nothing back for years - even popular youtubers all say it took several years until their channel started to take off) so fair play to them. 

Maybe if I found a streamer targeted at my age group rather than the hyperactive twitch kiddies my kids seem to enjoy watching I'd be more inclined to watch but I still only have so much free time each week and would much rather be playing a game I enjoy than watching someone else play it instead so probably not :p

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 hours ago, Boycie said:

I played Fifi18 and live streamed it.

I managed to have Vydra and Palmer in my team and we beat Forest 0-10 away.

Wheres my money at?

FIFI 18 ? That sounds a bit dodgy to me. :ph34r:

Twitch takes a lot of effort to get up and running. As does Youtube.

With Youtube though, production value matters and thats a lot of unseen hours. Twitch relies on a lot of uptime, so your audience doesn't find someone else - allowing it to grow.

I use twitch for what the vast majority of people use twitch for, to allow a group of friends to watch me play (usually to determine if they're interested in the game, but sometimes because they just want to have something on in the background and watching their friends play something competitive is more interesting than some dude doing it, on average).

People who've made it big on Twitch are usually right place, right time folks. With some kind of draw. Often, they're really really good - sometimes they're just mediocre but really entertaining, and sometimes they were one of the few people streaming a particular game when it exploded in popularity and people wanted to see more - which is what I *think* happened with Ninja playing Fortnite, but I could be mistaken.

A "top" streamer is usually streaming for at least 8 hours a day though, often more, with about 10,000 - 50,000 people watching them consistently. Sadly, a lot of streamers who aren't earning much do the same - and that's really rough. But then that's true of many entertainment industries. And that is all they are, entertainers.

"Pro gamers" (gamers who compete to win money and are paid by sponsors to win, not just to entertain) tend not to stream as much, and usually don't earn as much - unless they're dominant - as the top streamers. But it's a relatively simple avenue to become a top streamer if you're an ex-pro (you dont get many 'veteran' pro players - they're almost all under 25, most are under 21) who gathered a following doing that; and that tends to be the preferred avenue of income for gaming as there's a lot more freedom in streaming than there is in pro gaming.

18 hours ago, Boycie said:

I played Fifi18 and live streamed it.

I managed to have Vydra and Palmer in my team and we beat Forest 0-10 away.

Wheres my money at?

17 minutes ago, jono said:

FIFI 18 ? That sounds a bit dodgy to me. :ph34r:

FIFI 15 would get Yewtree interested I guess

On 19/03/2018 at 23:44, David said:

Very small percentage, but if you can crack it, probably earn more than the average footballer.

They are joining in the party as well with David Meyler at Hull has started on YouTube playing FIFA.

It’s not as easy as I made it sound, not a guaranteed earner, you have to be above average gamer with the ability to jump on to the latest and greatest games and have the personality to entertain, sat there in silence playing games won’t be you far.

Oh, you need to gain a following outside Twitch first as well, be it social media or wherever. Thousands will be on Twitch playing now with less than 5 people watching, over 9000 playing Fortnite alone. If you just jumped on now with no following you’d be at the bottom of the pile hoping for a miracle 

I reckon you'e more chance of making it as a professional footballer. Plus there's likely more correlation between talent and success. To be a top youtuber you need to be very talented and very lucky. 

On 19/03/2018 at 20:46, TigerTedd said:

it’s not steaming computer games with my kids, it’s watching other kids unwrap presents and play with toys. Annoyingly, it’s not even toys we couldn’t possibly afford, it’s usually toys that we actually own, that they haven’t touched in months!

Argh mate, mine watch videos of kids opening eggs and stuff that costs about £2.

I feel like calling social services on myself. 

And something called toyfreaks. It's what used to be known as idiots role-playing with masks. 

I watched Joker from Batman cry because Elsa from Frozen took his dummy.

You scroll down and see how many subscribers to this and you honestly can't see a future for yourself. People are nuts

On 3/19/2018 at 23:44, David said:

Very small percentage, but if you can crack it, probably earn more than the average footballer.

They are joining in the party as well with David Meyler at Hull has started on YouTube playing FIFA.

It’s not as easy as I made it sound, not a guaranteed earner, you have to be above average gamer with the ability to jump on to the latest and greatest games and have the personality to entertain, sat there in silence playing games won’t be you far.

Oh, you need to gain a following outside Twitch first as well, be it social media or wherever. Thousands will be on Twitch playing now with less than 5 people watching, over 9000 playing Fortnite alone. If you just jumped on now with no following you’d be at the bottom of the pile hoping for a miracle 

Judging by the stuff my lad watches, all you a need to do is shout as loud as you possibly can, when the game beats you, whilst trying not to swear...  TBF I'd really f******* struggle with the last c****** bit!!!

On 21/03/2018 at 16:23, ramsbottom said:

Judging by the stuff my lad watches, all you a need to do is shout as loud as you possibly can, when the game beats you, whilst trying not to swear...  TBF I'd really f******* struggle with the last c****** bit!!!

The Yanks!!

All I hear is’WTF man’ repeatedly whilst doing A Fortnight dance...eh??

On 19/03/2018 at 18:00, maxjam said:

I've watched a few streamers myself but don't get where the fun is in watching someone play a game you could be playing if you weren't watching them play the game instead!  

Watching normal sports is exactly the same - you could be playing yourself, but you are instead watching someone else playing instead.

My favourite thing to rant about!

Saying the phrases "Hi Guys! It's *Ubernerd 179* here" and "Remember to like, subscribe and comment" should carry the death penalty.

So much good stuff out there, classic Derby County matches, previously unreleased footage of Jimi Hendrix at Woodstock,  Christopher Hitchens lectures... but the stuff that gets put on the front page of Youtube is some of the most puerile, uninteresting, dumbed-down crap on the Internet.

"See how x reacts to y".

"We spent £5000 on FIFA Ultimate Team packs, you won't believe what happened".

"Trailer for upcoming rubbish film".

"Pro Wrestler versus Bear".

"Top 19 things you've been doing wrong all your life".

"Newscaster hilariously swears on LIVE TV!!!".

"I spent £308 in Primark - I can't even"*.

* That last one is a genuine title - 1 million views currently. I weep for humanity.

Youtube has gone vastly downhill since the glory days of Fat woman falls down hole, Sneezing panda and the star rating system.

32 minutes ago, JoetheRam said:

Youtube has gone vastly downhill since the glory days of Fat woman falls down hole, Sneezing panda and the star rating system.

Just because you do enjoy it doesn't mean others don't. I think content, whilst more click baitey, is certainly better to watch and would hate YouTube if it was the old content it was before. I don't know why it bothers you, if you don't like it just don't watch it.

24 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Just because you do enjoy it doesn't mean others don't. I think content, whilst more click baitey, is certainly better to watch and would hate YouTube if it was the old content it was before. I don't know why it bothers you, if you don't like it just don't watch it.

It bothers me because I think everyone should like exactly what I like, and anyone that is different is an idiot.

Obviously.

1 hour ago, GenBr said:

Watching normal sports is exactly the same - you could be playing yourself, but you are instead watching someone else playing instead.

I guess, and I used to play football when I still had two fully functioning knees!  But watching professional football or following a team is imo different to watching Joe Public play a computer game in his bedroom.

At a push you could argue for watching professional gamers or the new Overwatch league for example but I don't follow gaming/gamers like I follow football. I play games for personal enjoyment whereas I watch football for personal enjoyment.

Its a grey area and one that will become more blurred as time passes and gaming becomes more mainstream (and inevitably becomes an Olympic sport!)

Archived