$500,000 a month playing video games

David

He doesn't actually say it, but he doesn't deny it. 

I have watched a couple of times out of interest, it's insane to see the number of people donating/subscribing to someone playing a game which is free to play yourself. He had something like 800k viewers watching him play live the other week.

Forget school/uni, get yourself a computer, camera, microphone and a personality and get online. Once you are rich, remember to send some my way for this advice.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

League of Legends LCS pros are making millions too. Esports, and video games in general is big business and making a lot of money these days.

https://www.rollingstone.com/glixel/news/meet-imaqtpie-the-worlds-best-league-streamer-w473364

Making $2 million a year streaming here. 

Twitch streaming is a full time job for those that get about 2000+ viewers a stream.

10 minutes ago, David said:

He doesn't actually say it, but he doesn't deny it. 

I have watched a couple of times out of interest, it's insane to see the number of people donating/subscribing to someone playing a game which is free to play yourself. He had something like 800k viewers watching him play live the other week.

Forget school/uni, get yourself a computer, camera, microphone and a personality and get online. Once you are rich, remember to send some my way for this advice.

Yeah me and the missus have :ph34r:

I keep telling my kids to get into streaming, they play games anyway so may as well make money from doing it!  You can make a living with 10k-20k subscribers, my eldest will be off to university in a couple of years if he can build up a following during that time he (not me :P) could pay for his education.

I've watched a few streamers myself but don't get where the fun is in watching someone play a game you could be playing if you weren't watching them play the game instead!  And I certainly don't get why people donate to them - maybe its an age thing :huh:  fair enough take a cut from advertising revenue etc but actually donating to someone already making a very good living playing games in his bedroom seems a bit silly to me.

20 minutes ago, maxjam said:

I've watched a few streamers myself but don't get where the fun is in watching someone play a game you could be playing if you weren't watching them play the game instead!

Communal thing I would say. Watching alongside the chat is a pretty good experience. That being said, I get that it is more a thing of my generation, however I do really enjoy twitch streams. People use donate to get the text to speech element on the screen, although I've never done that. I've seen a few donations of $1000 been made before.

2 hours ago, maxjam said:

I keep telling my kids to get into streaming, they play games anyway so may as well make money from doing it!  You can make a living with 10k-20k subscribers, my eldest will be off to university in a couple of years if he can build up a following during that time he (not me :P) could pay for his education.

I've watched a few streamers myself but don't get where the fun is in watching someone play a game you could be playing if you weren't watching them play the game instead!  And I certainly don't get why people donate to them - maybe its an age thing :huh:  fair enough take a cut from advertising revenue etc but actually donating to someone already making a very good living playing games in his bedroom seems a bit silly to me.

My daughter is 8 and already practicing her steaming. She’ll record herself on her iPad, and every time she ends a recording she’ll say, ‘and if you enjoyed this, don’t forget to like and subscribe using the links below!’

it’s not steaming computer games with my kids, it’s watching other kids unwrap presents and play with toys. Annoyingly, it’s not even toys we couldn’t possibly afford, it’s usually toys that we actually own, that they haven’t touched in months!

We should just invite a bunch of friends round to play with their toys, and just let them watch and not join in. Theoretically, they’d enjoy it. 

13 minutes ago, TigerTedd said:

My daughter is 8 and already practicing her steaming. She’ll record herself on her iPad, and every time she ends a recording she’ll say, ‘and if you enjoyed this, don’t forget to like and subscribe using the links below!’

it’s not steaming computer games with my kids, it’s watching other kids unwrap presents and play with toys. Annoyingly, it’s not even toys we couldn’t possibly afford, it’s usually toys that we actually own, that they haven’t touched in months!

We should just invite a bunch of friends round to play with their toys, and just let them watch and not join in. Theoretically, they’d enjoy it. 

You might want to edit steaming mate :thumbsup:

How many youtubers actually make enough money to make a viable living from it, and how many hours steaming (I like it and I'm keeping it, as it's a steaming pile of turd IMO) do they make? What's the effort input compare to the return? 

I wonder how many young people these days think that's a viable way to live - get a youtube account, play some xbox games all day, become a millionaire?

I'm sure I saw an article saying that the number of people making it is far, far smaller than you'd probably imagine.

Sith Happens

When I was a young lad it's a good job I didn't spend all day streaming my bedroom activities,  not sure I would have got 500k a month knocking one out over belinda Carlisle.

1 hour ago, Paul71 said:

When I was a young lad it's a good job I didn't spend all day streaming my bedroom activities,  not sure I would have got 500k a month knocking one out over belinda Carlisle.

500k a month would get you the real Belinda Carlisle!

2 hours ago, GboroRam said:

How many youtubers actually make enough money to make a viable living from it, and how many hours steaming (I like it and I'm keeping it, as it's a steaming pile of turd IMO) do they make? What's the effort input compare to the return? 

I wonder how many young people these days think that's a viable way to live - get a youtube account, play some xbox games all day, become a millionaire?

I'm sure I saw an article saying that the number of people making it is far, far smaller than you'd probably imagine.

Very small percentage, but if you can crack it, probably earn more than the average footballer.

They are joining in the party as well with David Meyler at Hull has started on YouTube playing FIFA.

It’s not as easy as I made it sound, not a guaranteed earner, you have to be above average gamer with the ability to jump on to the latest and greatest games and have the personality to entertain, sat there in silence playing games won’t be you far.

Oh, you need to gain a following outside Twitch first as well, be it social media or wherever. Thousands will be on Twitch playing now with less than 5 people watching, over 9000 playing Fortnite alone. If you just jumped on now with no following you’d be at the bottom of the pile hoping for a miracle 

3 hours ago, David said:

Oh, you need to gain a following outside Twitch first as well, be it social media or wherever.

This is actually to some degree false. One of the twitch record holders for most viewers, tyler1 was completely unknown before twitch. He built a following, and then broke the viewership record for one single person. If you do enough on twitch, you will get popular.

15 hours ago, Boycie said:

I played Fifi18 and live streamed it.

I managed to have Vydra and Palmer in my team and we beat Forest 0-10 away.

Wheres my money at?

Did you not see the bit about having a personality?

On 3/19/2018 at 20:46, TigerTedd said:

My seven year old does the same thing - it's funny and yet a bit depressing

On 3/19/2018 at 21:02, LesterRam said:

with my kids, it’s watching other kids unwrap presents and play with toys. Annoyingly, it’s not even toys we couldn’t possibly afford, it’s usually toys that we actually own, that they haven’t touched in months!

Again - the same. He watches this channel called Evantube. Some American guy who films his kid opening toys. He makes millions (on top of all the free toys). It's pretty clear his kid has no real idea that what he's doing is in anyway unusual or special

Yesterday we watched "Evan's new house" - they have basically bought a massive mansion with a huge pool and spent 30 minutes filming every room and feature. But, you wonder - are they happy? Do they ever wake up and think "i really can't be arsed to make another video of my kid today...and why when i look at my family are we all dead behind the eyes?"

I don't understand why people look at streamers, youtubers and other such people with so much disdain at times.

These are predominantly young people that have found a way of becoming successful by utilising the technology available to them. It's a lot of work recording, editing and marketing enough material to build and then capitalise on their fan base.

I think they should be applauded. 

6 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

I don't understand why people look at streamers, youtubers and other such people with so much disdain at times.

These are predominantly young people that have found a way of becoming successful by utilising the technology available to them. It's a lot of work recording, editing and marketing enough material to build and then capitalise on their fan base.

I think they should be applauded. 

Agreed - because it is consumed on a whim it's easy to think that it takes no effort. See my previous comment - It must be a huge amount of effort, and fair play to their commitment

Dan TDM for example has the ghostly palor of a man who looks like he never sees daylight and spends his whole life making videos in his mums spare room

5 minutes ago, StivePesley said:

Agreed - because it is consumed on a whim it's easy to think that it takes no effort. See my previous comment - It must be a huge amount of effort, and fair play to their commitment

Dan TDM for example has the ghostly palor of a man who looks like he never sees daylight and spends his whole life making videos in his mums spare room

My step-brother is a lighting engineer for stage productions, he has recently been working with Dan-TDM on a world tour. Australia, America, Asia, Europe. If that isn't putting the effort in I don't know what is, yet some folk still dismiss these guys as bedroom dwelling nerds!

Archived