Spurs

Sith Happens

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

How can it be right they get to play at home in the FA Cup semi final? 

Intriguing question but there is an easy counter arguement.

One is that it won’t be a home game with a 50-50 split in terms of supporters.

And the second is nobody complained before the season began when Spurs’ Wembley record was awful. In fact, I bet almost every team in the league would prefer to play Spurs at Wembley rather than White Hart Lane where they won 18 games last season!

Sith Happens
8 hours ago, Andicis said:

At the start of the season, Spurs were being mocked for 38 games away and Wembley hoodoo, and now it's an advantage?

Not by me, always thought it was wrong they should get Wembley to play their home games.

1 hour ago, Paul71 said:

Not by me, always thought it was wrong they should get Wembley to play their home games.

I share your sentiments @Paul71 it’s diluted the special occasion that is felt by getting to Wembley through qualification.  Now that every side in the Premier League has played there at least once this season, the shine has been taken from the experience (even for the Spurs fans) they’ve reached the FA Cup semi-final an achievement in itself!

Should’ve been made to play at the ‘London’ stadium and not the ‘National’ stadium. 

Sith Happens
11 minutes ago, Ted McMinn Football Genius said:

I share your sentiments @Paul71 it’s diluted the special occasion that is felt by getting to Wembley through qualification.  Now that every side in the Premier League has played there at least once this season, the shine has been taken from the experience (even for the Spurs fans) they’ve reached the FA Cup semi-final an achievement in itself!

Should’ve been made to play at the ‘London’ stadium and not the ‘National’ stadium. 

Exactly,  I wasn't even happy when we had a chance to play there in the league cup.

And I know it's 50/50 fans but it's a stadium and surface spurs will be more used to.

Poor poor by the FA and Pl allowing it to happen.

Like you said make them ground share with someone like others have done. 

8 minutes ago, JoetheRam said:

Hope they lose to Utd and end yet another season trophyless. Maybe then we'll stop hearing constantly how great their team is and how great a manager Pochettino is, when they've done nowt.

Interesting view, can’t help but feel the exact opposite. I hope they win it because it’ll be a travesty if a team as good as that one doesn’t win anything. What Pochettino has done there is such a breath of fresh air imo, got a club with less past success competing up with the big boys on a (While not insignificant) much smaller budget. A large percentage of English players as well, honestly think Pochettino has done more for the future of England than any England managers themselves imo!

Its wonderful to watch them play at their best, not tippy tappy possession football but not percentage hoofball either. Just a group of young players, including some brilliant individuals, playing as a united team, creating tons of chances and defending efficiently too. As much as all this stadium **** ain’t right, they deserve to win something but poch inevitably departs to real or somewhere, and he will, because he is that good.

5 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Interesting view, can’t help but feel the exact opposite. I hope they win it because it’ll be a travesty if a team as good as that one doesn’t win anything. What Pochettino has done there is such a breath of fresh air imo, got a club with less past success competing up with the big boys on a (While not insignificant) much smaller budget. A large percentage of English players as well, honestly think Pochettino has done more for the future of England than any England managers themselves imo!

Its wonderful to watch them play at their best, not tippy tappy possession football but not percentage hoofball either. Just a group of young players, including some brilliant individuals, playing as a united team, creating tons of chances and defending efficiently too. As much as all this stadium **** ain’t right, they deserve to win something but poch inevitably departs to real or somewhere, and he will, because he is that good.

Fair post, but I can't agree. Most of, if not all, the time in football, you win what you deserve. Spurs haven't been good enough, often enough or over a long enough period of time - particularly without Kane in the side. Threw it away against Juve through lack of street-smarts and you always sense a bad result to crop them up somewhere it shouldn't.

They play some good stuff but wouldn't call their style breathtaking or particularly pretty.

Just think they are overhyped and give it two years when Kane, Eriksson, Son, Dembele and Alderweireld leave they'll be back to battling it out with Everton for 6th and 7th.

5 minutes ago, JoetheRam said:

Fair post, but I can't agree. Most of, if not all, the time in football, you win what you deserve. Spurs haven't been good enough, often enough or over a long enough period of time - particularly without Kane in the side. Threw it away against Juve through lack of street-smarts and you always sense a bad result to crop them up somewhere it shouldn't.

They play some good stuff but wouldn't call their style breathtaking or particularly pretty.

Just think they are overhyped and give it two years when Kane, Eriksson, Son, Dembele and Alderweireld leave they'll be back to battling it out with Everton for 6th and 7th.

Tbf I think you’re right in pretty much everything you’ve said there, just sometimes I guess I feel sorry for teams who play so well for a season but just can’t see it through (ala us 13/14). They certainly do lack that extra mental edge that allows them to be beaten by teams like juve who didn’t have the best of the game, but were just more efficient. Can’t say they’re overhyped myself, but I’m sure you’re last point is the key one spurs fans will be aware of- they simply won’t hold onto this team if they don’t win something. Makes that game against United massive or I’m sure they’ll lose at least Kane and Eriksson in the summer.

51 minutes ago, JoetheRam said:

Hope they lose to Utd and end yet another season trophyless. Maybe then we'll stop hearing constantly how great their team is and how great a manager Pochettino is, when they've done nowt.

So you want the young progressive side to lose to the cynical shithouse Mourinho side? This is why people criticise the Premier League. Spurs, City and Liverpool are infinitely more exciting than Man Utd and Chelsea.

21 minutes ago, Andicis said:

So you want the young progressive side to lose to the cynical shithouse Mourinho side? This is why people criticise the Premier League. Spurs, City and Liverpool are infinitely more exciting than Man Utd and Chelsea.

I can't help but admire the ability of Mourinho to  continue to play so negatively in the face of everyone wanting all football to be played the same way i.e short, quick, passes on the floor. I'm sure he's at the point where he's just trolling everyone and I love it when all the tika-taka & possession disciples lose their minds when a team playing 'dirty' football beats a team like Liverpool/Barca. It's a nice reminder that football is about winning first, entertaining second.

In any case, some things have to be ugly for the beautiful to stand out.

15 minutes ago, JoetheRam said:

I can't help but admire the ability of Mourinho to  continue to play so negatively in the face of everyone wanting all football to be played the same way i.e short, quick, passes on the floor. I'm sure he's at the point where he's just trolling everyone and I love it when all the tika-taka & possession disciples lose their minds when a team playing 'dirty' football beats a team like Liverpool/Barca. It's a nice reminder that football is about winning first, entertaining second.

In any case, some things have to be ugly for the beautiful to stand out.

I'm not so sure his stubbornness is to be admired. These days, it isn't exactly a winning formula. Mourinho has spent 50x what Pocchetino has spent, yes his side is worse to watch and will not win anything this year. At least City spent the money to play nice football. Teams like Chelsea, Man Utd and Juve play some turgid football. So much so, as a neutral in their games I always find myself willing them to lose. Whereas, I watch Spurs, and Liverpool, and I find them distinctly likeable. I like to see them press quickly, I like to see them open teams up with incisive passing. I'd love to see Spurs win the FA cup. 

10 minutes ago, David said:

Really? Only Man City have won more games this season. 20 wins from 30 games, what exactly is that?

Okay, you have me there. But what is to say with United, if they spent exactly the same amount of money, but on players for a more progressive style they couldn't have won more games? United is still the biggest club in England. At the current rate, they could have a trophy less season. I'm not so sure that with that outcome it's a ''winning style'' because 2nd place isn't winning anything. Also, look at the Champions League, when was the last time a defensive side won it? Chelsea in 2012? 

14 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Okay, you have me there. But what is to say with United, if they spent exactly the same amount of money, but on players for a more progressive style they couldn't have won more games? United is still the biggest club in England. At the current rate, they could have a trophy less season. I'm not so sure that with that outcome it's a ''winning style'' because 2nd place isn't winning anything. Also, look at the Champions League, when was the last time a defensive side won it? Chelsea in 2012? 

What did Man City win last year after spending a Middle East shed load? Diddly squat.

Man Utd won the League Cup.

Theres only 3 domestic trophies up for grabs, with Man Utd, Man City, Chelsea, Arsenal, Liverpool and Spurs chasing and 2 in Europe. Doesn’t matter what style of football you play, some of those clubs will end the season empty handed. 

Alright praising Spurs for this pretty football but one trophy in 10 years, maybe if they played a bit more defensive in games they would have won a couple more?

Archived