Derby Snow - Game called off

Day

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Tamworthram said:

I'm not even convinced it's anything to do with their schedule (pretty much the same as ours except they will have a run of three away games). 

Warnock is upset because they couldn't take advantage of our misfortune of having so many injuries. 

I think from a Derby perspective the whole thing stinks of Cardiff covering up a lot of their own faults by blaming us

The Supporters Group should be the ones keeping up to date with the weather and warning fans about likely conditions and potential of postponements. I dare say it’s up to them to maintain a dialogue with a rep from Cardiff and even from Derby leading up to it (also to advise fans not to set off at 5am, as this was being discussed Saturday night it was common knowledge that some were planning to do so). If that did that they would have got an indication why the match could potentially be called off.

The Chief Exec now is trying to look the good guy but again, if you open dialogue early with Derby and your own fans then you might not be enbarrsssing yourself now

Warnock is constantly for his own agenda and nothing else, most realise this and with it has made a rod for his own back. But again open dialogue would allow Cardiff reps in Derby over night to day there was a chance of postponement which should be passed on to Supporters Groups etc

But somehow it’s still our fault?

19 minutes ago, duncanjwitham said:

I don't think there's really any blundering going on, or any "ever-changing story" that the Cardiff fans seem so obsessed with.  Barring a major catastrophe, it was always our decision to make as to whether the game went ahead, not the police or council or anyone else.  So we were discussing things with the police, the council, the SAG etc in the buildup to the game. Ultimately we made a judgement call to call it off, and then informed the relevant parties when the decision had been made. Those parties agreed and supported our decision, so we informed everyone else (Cardiff, the EFL, Sky etc). None of the statements from the Police, the council etc dispute that version of events, unless you wilfully misread what has been said.

...quite so but there are ambiguities, unintended or otherwise:

1. First of all the Derbyshire Constabulary issued a statement on Sunday to say it was the "Club's decision", "as if" they {Derbyshire Constabulary} were distancing themselves from the responsibility {of having shared in the decision-making}. So not helpful.

2. Ditto Derby City Council.

When will Derbyshire learn to work "in partnership" with Derby County Football Club?; the Club does so much for the area and the City. I suspect that MM will be gathering together various civic leaders  for a meeting "without coffee or pastries" to say "Look Derbyshire, we all have to stick together when our integrity is questioned...one for all and all for one and all that, n'est ce pas?".

:mellow:

8 minutes ago, TuffLuff said:

I think from a Derby perspective the whole thing stinks of Cardiff covering up a lot of their own faults by blaming us

The Supporters Group should be the ones keeping up to date with the weather and warning fans about likely conditions and potential of postponements. I dare say it’s up to them to maintain a dialogue with a rep from Cardiff and even from Derby leading up to it (also to advise fans not to set off at 5am, as this was being discussed Saturday night it was common knowledge that some were planning to do so). If that did that they would have got an indication why the match could potentially be called off.

The Chief Exec now is trying to look the good guy but again, if you open dialogue early with Derby and your own fans then you might not be enbarrsssing yourself now

Warnock is constantly for his own agenda and nothing else, most realise this and with it has made a rod for his own back. But again open dialogue would allow Cardiff reps in Derby over night to day there was a chance of postponement which should be passed on to Supporters Groups etc

But somehow it’s still our fault?

Exactly. A wee bit of thought and use of a mobile phone; not rocket science. 

7 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

...quite so but there are ambiguities, unintended or otherwise:

Which are probably down to it being pretty early on a Sunday morning, with information being rushed out as social media posts.  They could have probably have waited an hour or two, got the PR guys in to draft a proper statement, and got someone to go on Radio Derby etc and explain, and it all would have been a lot clearer. But that's no use for the people who are setting off early to get to the game.

There also seems to be a lot of people who don't actually know how this all works, what the procedures are for calling off a game etc. The Cardiff fans seem genuinely shocked that we can call a game off without the police ordering us to.  But ultimately, it's us that are staging the event, and us that are responsible for the safety of the fans attending, so it has to be us that ultimately make the decision to call it off.

12 minutes ago, duncanjwitham said:

Which are probably down to it being pretty early on a Sunday morning, with information being rushed out as social media posts.  They could have probably have waited an hour or two, got the PR guys in to draft a proper statement, and got someone to go on Radio Derby etc and explain, and it all would have been a lot clearer. But that's no use for the people who are setting off early to get to the game.

There also seems to be a lot of people who don't actually know how this all works, what the procedures are for calling off a game etc. The Cardiff fans seem genuinely shocked that we can call a game off without the police ordering us to.  But ultimately, it's us that are staging the event, and us that are responsible for the safety of the fans attending, so it has to be us that ultimately make the decision to call it off.

Exactly. What's needed is a Fans' Charter entry to set out what fans might expect in such circumstances. No system will ever be perfect because it's a judgement call and one that will always be criticised by somebody somewhere.... It's not great for the Cardiff fans that they spent money and time in what was eventually a futile journey but clearly there was a risk to them setting out at 7:30 am when it was clearly snowing in Derby...

I myself was driving down the M1 towards Derby at 09:30 am when the chap on Radio Derby just happened to mention " of course we've no football now so there's a slight change to the schedule...". :mellow:

1 minute ago, Ellafella said:

Exactly. What's needed is a Fans' Charter entry to set out what fans might expect in such circumstances. No system will ever be perfect because it's a judgement call and one that will always be criticised by somebody somewhere.... It's not great for the Cardiff fans that they spent money and time in what was eventually a futile journey but clearly there was a risk to them setting out at 7:30 am when it was clearly snowing in Derby...

I myself was driving down the M1 towards Derby at 09:30 am when the chap on Radio Derby just happened to mention " of course we've no football now so there's a slight change to the schedule...". :mellow:

The irony being, I have seen Cardiff fans arguing that we should have left the decision as late as we could, so that there was more chance of the game being on. And I have seen Cardiff fans saying we should have called the game off earlier, so they wouldn't have had to set out at all.  There's literally no way we could have kept everybody happy.

Sith Happens
1 minute ago, duncanjwitham said:

The irony being, I have seen Cardiff fans arguing that we should have left the decision as late as we could, so that there was more chance of the game being on. And I have seen Cardiff fans saying we should have called the game off earlier, so they wouldn't have had to set out at all.  There's literally no way we could have kept everybody happy.

The ideal situation might have been for Derby and Cardiff to approach the league and sky the day before and say 'in view if the forecast can we set the kick off time to 2pm, in order that a timely assessment of the conditions can be made in order to notify fans of both teams in a timely manner if the game is to go ahead or not'.

Of course the league and sky would have replied 'cough'.

5 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

The ideal situation might have been for Derby and Cardiff to approach the league and sky the day before and say 'in view if the forecast can we set the kick off time to 2pm, in order that a timely assessment of the conditions can be made in order to notify fans of both teams in a timely manner if the game is to go ahead or not'.

Of course the league and sky would have replied 'cough'.

Touché

1 minute ago, JDCFC75 said:

Hopefully Nigel has a full on rageo rant about how many professional football players Cardiff have on the books and demands an EFL investigation into colin's proposed delay, which would affect Burton's relegation battle.

Let them return the tickets and re issue them but like last year they will only need 300 and that way not too many will be disappointed if things go against thier perfect world wishes ( we did restrict Swindon to 400 a long time ago)

Archived