Champions League & Europa League Draw

Hmm fair enough but I’m still not convinced that Man City have the players who can mentally compete to win the champions league but if they do then I’ll admit that I was wrong. Many of their players are mentally fragile, no amount of coaching from Guardiola will be able to change that. 

You just have to see Man City when they played Real Madrid in 2016 the likes of De Bruyne, Silva and Aguero were mentally overcome by the magnitude of the occasion at the bernabeu and went into a shell. Fernandinho is also mentally weak as seen in the Brazil v Germany game as is kompany after all of his injuries. 

Real Madrid have shown that to win the champions league, you need players who are mentally strong, big characters and can adapt to play in different situations. Ramos, Ronaldo, Kroos, Casemiro, Kroos, Marcelo were massive characters in that Real Madrid to win the champions league. They didn’t always play well but they could ‘fight’ in games when they needed to as seen against PSG in the last round.

On the Aguero v Suarez debate, Id still have Suarez over Aguero because he has a ‘killer mentality’ whereas Aguero tends to bottle it when his teams need him in the most in big champions league games where there is pressure. That’s one of the reasons he doesn’t start for Argentina.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Juve don't look good this year. Extremely fortunate to have even been in the draw for this round, they were comprehensively outplayed over two legs. 

You're also wrong. Bayern knocked out Juve in 2016. 

Such a shame City and Liverpool drew each other, both lovely to watch and great footballing side. Bayern and Barca have got the free pass this round. I think next round will be City, Madrid, Barca and Bayern. Hopefully we then get a classico semi final.

Read again, I said the only team to knock out Real Madrid were Juventus, not the other way around. Juve didn’t look great against Spurs, but in the league they are picking up momentum and dybala has been of fire recently. To win a competition like the champions league, you can’t always play well but when you don’t, you must find a way to win which is what Juve did against Spurs.

Teams like Man City and PSG are brilliant to watch when they are playing well but the issue comes when they aren’t playing well. It cost PSG against Real Madrid and I will be interested to see if the same happens to Man City when against the big boys.

Just now, McLovin said:

Read again, I said the only team to knock out Real Madrid were Juventus, not the other way around. Juve didn’t look great against Spurs, but in the league they are picking up momentum and dybala has been of fire recently. To win a competition like the champions league, you can’t always play well but when you don’t, you must find a way to win which is what Juve did against Spurs.

Teams like Man City and PSG are brilliant to watch when they are playing well but the issue comes when they aren’t playing well. It cost PSG against Real Madrid and I will be interested to see if the same happens to Man City when against the big boys.

Ah. My mistake. Juve benefited from a large slice of fortune, and are going out due to all the suspensions they picked up from their cynical football. PSG were missing their star man against Real to be fair. City or Liverpool were both a good chance to win the thing, so I think it's a shame they drew each other. 

2 minutes ago, McLovin said:

I actually think Juve suffer in the same way United did under SAF. They see the domestic league as more important, and the CL as a bonus.

You can see they are embroiled in a fight for Serie A, I think they will have more focus on being number one in Italy rather than going all out for the CL.

That’s a difference with Madrid. They on the flip side only see the CL as the number one trophy. They want to be known as the greatest club in the world, and winning the CL confirms that in their eyes. It’s why they were so obsessed with ‘La decima’ and then the 11th and 12th.

How can a team be so up for it against a PSG or Bayern yet play so terribly against Leganes or Betis. After they lose domestic games, they have a look of not caring. It’s weird, but it’s what makes them so successful in Europe.

And of course avoiding Barca. 

3 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Ah. My mistake. Juve benefited from a large slice of fortune, and are going out due to all the suspensions they picked up from their cynical football. PSG were missing their star man against Real to be fair. City or Liverpool were both a good chance to win the thing, so I think it's a shame they drew each other. 

Obviously it's impossible to say either way, but I think even if Neymar had been playing they'd have struggled to overturn the first leg deficit.

Just now, ViewsFromTheMiddle said:

Obviously it's impossible to say either way, but I think even if Neymar had been playing they'd have struggled to overturn the first leg deficit.

Problem is it's impossible to know. If PSG and Neymar had got an early goal in the second leg, it could have been totally different. But we'll never know.

11 minutes ago, ViewsFromTheMiddle said:

The turning point in that tie was Cavani’s miss at 0-1 in the first-leg.

The 3-1 scoreline was really unjust on the balance of play. Poor refereeing decisions and a lack of prolificacy in the final third cost PSG.

It should have been them winning 3-1, and killing the tie in Spain.

2 hours ago, Dimmu said:

IMO Leipzig is pretty darn good. Certainly underrated.

Disgusting to see two red bull teams still in.

Meh.

We question then just because they’re so blatantly an energy drink manufacturers play-thing and yet Man City’s owners effectively use them as propraganda for Qatar

9 hours ago, cannable said:

Meh.

We question then just because they’re so blatantly an energy drink manufacturers play-thing and yet Man City’s owners effectively use them as propraganda for Qatar

I'll give you city.

and psg is easily the worst.

horrible times to be a football fan.

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Andicis said:

Liverpool have been extraordinarily jammy this whole campaign. The only good team they've played in the tournament so far is Man City. I don't know how they've managed to dodge every single top team in all the rounds. 

Totally agree. Even in the Man City tie they were extremely lucky because Man City were disallowed a clear goal. Man City would have been 2-0 up at half time at that stage and then it’s a totally different game altogether.

I shudder to think that a team with Jordan Henderson as their captain may end up winning the champions league.

Archived