Champions League & Europa League Draw

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Real Madrid v Juventus the stand out tie and the rest of Europe will be glad that these two teams drew each other as have been the two best teams in the champions league the last few years.

The repeat of the last champions league final and both teams are getting into form. Incidentally, the only team to knock Real Madrid out in the last 4 years has been Juventus.

21 minutes ago, McLovin said:

Real Madrid v Juventus the stand out tie and the rest of Europe will be glad that these two teams drew each other as have been the two best teams in the champions league the last few years.

The repeat of the last champions league final and both teams are getting into form. Incidentally, the only team to knock Real Madrid out in the last 4 years has been Juventus.

Know what you mean, I just don't think it will have the same excitement as Liverpool City over two legs.

28 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

I think Juve v Real Madrid will actually be one of the worst matches of the round in terms of entertainment for a neutral. Madrid are hardly firing, and even when they are it isn't what I would call exciting football. We all know what to expect from Juve so I think it will be a bit of a bust for the viewers.

Disagree, all of the Real Madrid v juve games recently have been really entertaining. Last year’s final entertaining and there are always goals in the games that they play against each other. The 2-2 between the sides was one of the best games I’ve seen in the champions league.

I think the best four teams in the competition have all been separated. I went for a Barca, Bayern, Madrid and City/Liverpool seni-final and I’ll be surprised it it isn’t exactly that.

I don’t lnow what it is about Juve, but I just don’t really rate them. Barca beat them comfortably enough in the group stages earlier, Madrid battered them in the final last season and Spurs were by far the better team over the two lega in the last 16.

I think Madrid will breeze past them. Could ve wrong though. Juve beat them in 2015.

City vs Liverpool is the standout tie for neutrals. They’re probably the most evenly-matched of the four ties, and they both have an abundance of goals in them.

I think Liverpool playing at home first benefits them. They must beat City, getting ahead and playing on the counter will be to their benefit. Fail to beat them at Anfield and City will go through.

I predict a 2-2 draw at Anfield, and City to win at the Etihad 3-1 or something.

People keeping telling me what a great team this Man City team are but I’m not convinced. On paper, not many of their players would get into the other top teams in Europe. Guardiola had a much better team at Bayern yet failed to win the champions league with them so I have no idea why they are favourites. I actually think Liverpool will knock them out(just like I predicted that they would end Man City’s unbeaten league run).

4 minutes ago, McLovin said:

People keeping telling me what a great team this Man City team are but I’m not convinced. On paper, not many of their players would get into the other top teams in Europe. Guardiola had a much better team at Bayern yet failed to win the champions league with them so I have no idea why they are favourites. I actually think Liverpool will knock them out(just like I predicted that they would end Man City’s unbeaten league run).

Man City are a fantastic team. The important part is ‘team’. They play as a unit, don’t rely on individual players and they all know what they’re doing.

Right now they’re playing the best football in Europe, and are dominating.

I’m not surprised they are favourites, like Bayern were under Pep, but it’s a cup competition and anything can happen.

Also which of the other top team’s players would get into City’s side? It’s easy to create a team on paper, but they have to fit in perfectly into a system.

I can’t think of a many current Barca players who’d fit in to City’s system. Busquets instead of Fernandinho, Alba at LB and Messi out wide right?

It’s all about systems. City play in a way they can get the most out of Sane, Silva, De Bruyne etc.

Right now which Madrid players would get in City’s side? I can’t think of too many... Ronaldo instead of Aguero? Isco is off form, Casemiro isn’t any better than Fernandinho, the fullbacks are off form, Modric and Kroos? Nah I’d rather have De Bruyne and Silva right now. Who’d replace Sane? Bale? Nah... I’d take Edison as GK all day long. Kompany can be just as influential as Ramos, and Varane has spent much of the season injured. Otamendi has been great.

1 hour ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

Atletico really should be winning the Europa League. By miles the best team left in it.

IMO Leipzig is pretty darn good. Certainly underrated.

Disgusting to see two red bull teams still in.

33 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

Man City are a fantastic team. The important part is ‘team’. They play as a unit, don’t rely on individual players and they all know what they’re doing.

Right now they’re playing the best football in Europe, and are dominating.

I’m not surprised they are favourites, like Bayern were under Pep, but it’s a cup competition and anything can happen.

Also which of the other top team’s players would get into City’s side? It’s easy to create a team on paper, but they have to fit in perfectly into a system.

I can’t think of a many current Barca players who’d fit in to City’s system. Busquets instead of Fernandinho, Alba at LB and Messi out wide right?

It’s all about systems. City play in a way they can get the most out of Sane, Silva, De Bruyne etc.

Right now which Madrid players would get in City’s side? I can’t think of too many... Ronaldo instead of Aguero? Isco is off form, Casemiro isn’t any better than Fernandinho, the fullbacks are off form, Modric and Kroos? Nah I’d rather have De Bruyne and Silva right now. Who’d replace Sane? Bale? Nah... I’d take Edison as GK all day long. Kompany can be just as influential as Ramos, and Varane has spent much of the season injured. Otamendi has been great.

Suarez would fit in fine. Dembele would probably be an upgrade on Sterling too.

8 minutes ago, ViewsFromTheMiddle said:

Suarez would fit in fine. Dembele would probably be an upgrade on Sterling too.

Dembele is one for the future, but right now he doesn’t look like a top player. He looks massively uncomfortable at Barca as he doesn’t possess the right sort of attributes to combine with Messi.

I really don’t rate Sterling, but he’s in much better form than Dembele. Bernardo Silva is a better footballer than both.

I also think Suarez has lost a yard of pace. Doesn’t look anything like the Liverpool/Barca player of two seasons ago. Age does that. He’s 31, probably only got another two seasons at that level. I can’t see him being like Ronaldo at 33. I’d take Aguero right now.

2 hours ago, McLovin said:

Juve don't look good this year. Extremely fortunate to have even been in the draw for this round, they were comprehensively outplayed over two legs. 

You're also wrong. Bayern knocked out Juve in 2016. 

Such a shame City and Liverpool drew each other, both lovely to watch and great footballing side. Bayern and Barca have got the free pass this round. I think next round will be City, Madrid, Barca and Bayern. Hopefully we then get a classico semi final.

Archived