Xbox Help

David

Right, I've tried turning off and on again, hasn't helped.

I have 2 Xbox's, upstairs a Xbox One S, downstairs a Xbox One X.

The router is downstairs, same room, around 6ft away from the One X.

The Xbox One X has a latency of 154ms which is above the recommended 150.

The Xbox One S has a latency of 24ms

Needless to say, I have huge issues with connection lag downstairs yet runs smooth as butter upstairs.

Now the One S upstairs is on the 2.4Ghz network as it's further away, the X is on the quicker 5Ghz, I have switched the X to 2.4Ghz yet the same result with latency, but the download speed drops 20 meg below upstairs which is further away.

I've switched the Xbox's around to see if it's a location issue, exact same results. 

Thinking I have a faulty network card maybe, wondered if anyone else has an X with similar issues with latency, seen a few reporting similar on Reddit last year but nothing more recent. 

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, ThePrisoner said:

Ran the X over Ethernet?

Yeah, tried that the other day, ran without lag at all but created another issue with the controller disconnecting, too close to the router wasn’t playing nice with each other

28 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

Have you checked what channels your neighbours are using for wifi?

I haven’t, but don’t see how that could be the issue, Sky say the max speed I should be getting is 68meg, the second picture which is on the 5Ghz channel is slightly above this with 100% signal. The first picture is on the 2.4Ghz which gets the slower speeds, by switching to 5Ghz I can get 65meg upstairs. 

Both Xbox’s are on the same side of the house, almost aligned vertically, maybe 6/10ft apart. 

Will try a factory reset today, if that doesn’t fix it I’ll send it off to be looked at, possibly a faulty network card

Sith Happens
14 minutes ago, David said:

I haven’t, but don’t see how that could be the issue, Sky say the max speed I should be getting is 68meg, the second picture which is on the 5Ghz channel is slightly above this with 100% signal. The first picture is on the 2.4Ghz which gets the slower speeds, by switching to 5Ghz I can get 65meg upstairs. 

Both Xbox’s are on the same side of the house, almost aligned vertically, maybe 6/10ft apart. 

Will try a factory reset today, if that doesn’t fix it I’ll send it off to be looked at, possibly a faulty network card

I am not an expert by any means, but i was having issues with my laptop downstairs and did a channel scanner and I was using the same as others around me so i moved it and my wifi improved significantly.

44 minutes ago, McRamFan said:

Have you disconnected all WiFi devices and just ran the xbox?

Not tried that to be honest, not sure it would show anything as the S has no issues with latency with other devices on, why would the X not play nice with something. Will try though, might take a while to locate and kill everything with a wifi signal though!

1 hour ago, David said:

Not tried that to be honest, not sure it would show anything as the S has no issues with latency with other devices on, why would the X not play nice with something. Will try though, might take a while to locate and kill everything with a wifi signal though!

There’s a couple great Wifi analysis apps in the SetApp month trial if you’re a Mac user. Shows you all the WiFi networks in your area and what channels are most congested using easy to understand graphs. 

Slim chance it’ll fix your X but you never know with WiFi. Sounds like the WiFi card in it is knackered.  

8 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

Have you tried them both on the same 5g/2.4g connection?

Yes, the X strangely gets slower download on the 2.4 than the S. X gets slightly better on 5.

Just this latency issue. 

Tried designating a static IP to the Xbox, put that into DMZ mode. Also set up port forwarding for all Xbox ports.

Think it’s buggered basically

1 minute ago, David said:

Yes, the X strangely gets slower download on the 2.4 than the S. X gets slightly better on 5.

Just this latency issue. 

Tried designating a static IP to the Xbox, put that into DMZ mode. Also set up port forwarding for all Xbox ports.

Think it’s buggered basically

It is sounding like there's a fault.

Archived