Dolly Smith RIP

Ellafella

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OK. Tin helmet firmly in place and prepared to be described as an uncaring anti-christ but, sad as it is (condolences genuinely go out to her family) flags at half mast and a minutes applause for a person who only ever attended two games seems a little over the top to me.

I getcha Tammy but the club have obviously had a relationship with Dolly since her 100th birthday, so probably the reason for the special respect in this case.

Anyway... I'm more concerned about the claims of Ready Brek being the secret to a long life. As a recent convert to porridge and berrys, I thought I was doing all I could to promote longevity of my life. Complex and slow release carbs with high level antioxidants is surely enough to cancel out all the lager, ale, red wine, crisps, curry, cheese and pizza I shovel across me gob. And that's just tonight.

To be fair, I sometimes walk quickly back from the chippy so probably in credit health wise. 

On 16/03/2018 at 15:57, Tamworthram said:

OK. Tin helmet firmly in place and prepared to be described as an uncaring anti-christ but, sad as it is (condolences genuinely go out to her family) flags at half mast and a minutes applause for a person who only ever attended two games seems a little over the top to me.

I agree. For me, at football matches, moments of respect should be held for servants of the club and events like rememberance Sunday.

Minutes of applause for fans (who most people don’t know) dilute the value for club servants.  When a round of applause just occurs and you hear people asking “what are we clapping for this time?” makes me think it’s not the right forum for it.

Before people jump down my throat, I sympathise with anyone who has lost someone close to them and I never not observe a minute’s silence, but if we must observe something, I would personally suggest that a minute’s applause should be held once a season for fans who have been lost.

On 16/03/2018 at 15:57, Tamworthram said:

Once a Ram and all that!!!

8 hours ago, maydrakin said:

I agree. For me, at football matches, moments of respect should be held for servants of the club and events like rememberance Sunday.

Minutes of applause for fans (who most people don’t know) dilute the value for club servants.  When a round of applause just occurs and you hear people asking “what are we clapping for this time?” makes me think it’s not the right forum for it.

Before people jump down my throat, I sympathise with anyone who has lost someone close to them and I never not observe a minute’s silence, but if we must observe something, I would personally suggest that a minute’s applause should be held once a season for fans who have been lost.

Entirely agree. 

1 hour ago, B4ev6is said:

Highley disagree

I still not got over my grandma death and my mum sister I miss them both we should honer this women and help bring closure to her family and friends.

And 20,000 strangers clapping for a minute in the middle of a football game would help.....? 

If I die tonight I want it known that under no circumstance do I want anyone clapping during the game for me...what I would like though is that my family and friends go and have a couple of beers privately and maybe a portion of chips and gravy. 

5 hours ago, MuespachRam said:

And 20,000 strangers clapping for a minute in the middle of a football game would help.....? 

If I die tonight I want it known that under no circumstance do I want anyone clapping during the game for me...what I would like though is that my family and friends go and have a couple of beers privately and maybe a portion of chips and gravy. 

And you were doing so well until that last bit...:lol:

8 hours ago, B4ev6is said:

Highley disagree

I still not got over my grandma death and my mum sister I miss them both we should honer this women and help bring closure to her family and friends.

According to Google, approximately 150,000 people die every day. I hope you are not going to disrespect any of them by not applauding each and every one of them.

The point I am trying to make is that, for example, 150,000 people died yesterday and they will be personal tragedies to the families and friends of those involved. My guess is that you don’t know any of them and hadn’t given any a second thought.

I sincerely apologise if I have upset anyone, as this is not my intention.

1 hour ago, maydrakin said:

According to Google, approximately 150,000 people die every day. I hope you are not going to disrespect any of them by not applauding each and every one of them.

The point I am trying to make is that, for example, 150,000 people died yesterday and they will be personal tragedies to the families and friends of those involved. My guess is that you don’t know any of them and hadn’t given any a second thought.

I sincerely apologise if I have upset anyone, as this is not my intention.

I think B4 is saying that this lady was special due to her being a life-long fan and reaching over 100 years. The club connected with the family when they sent Roger & Mac round. What's the matter with some of you..............Does it hurt if it means a lot to the family? 

8 hours ago, MuespachRam said:

Can I have chips and peas @MuespachRam, as I don't like chips 'n gravy? :mellow:

6 hours ago, Ellafella said:

Can I have chips and peas @MuespachRam, as I don't like chips 'n gravy? :mellow:

Not mushy peas...nooooooo they are the food of satan....second only to cheese..... if you had beans then of course you could swap that out...

Whilst we are on the subject, if I meet my maker In a horrendous car accident I don't want anyone putting flowers up at the spot I die....they wouldn't if I collapsed at my desk so why would you if I got splattered by a car..?

On ‎3‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 07:33, Boycie said:

Its a subject that always divides opinions.

Oh no it doesn't.

Sorry, not really the thread for (my) frivolity. RIP Dolly

Archived