Player / Fan connection

HorsforthRam

With regards to the atmosphere at PP. I think the a few of the players should “gee” up the crowd. Ask for support when it’s flat. I remember a fella called Joey Jones who used to play for Chelsea. Used to come out during the warmup and properly get the away Chelsea fans going before kick off. 

I’m not advocating cheerleading or anything but just during the game, after a hard tackle, corner etc., to give the crowd the sign to get going. I feel it gives the message that we’re in this together and that’s what both the fans and players need. We need more “fan favourites” and it might not be just about how they play but also how they communicate with the crowd. It was noticeable at the weekend how many Rams fans were loving the fighting spirit Gary Rowett showed on the touchline. Can you imagine Lawerence geeing up the East Stand after a successful run? (Don’t bother with the obvious ‘humour’)

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

David Nugent is very good at this. I've also seen THudd and George Thorne do it. Keogh also. It's a very good point though @HorsforthRam and has the usual effect of making a hero out of the player who does it {in the fans' eyes}.

I think it would be good to get a player along to a future Fans' Forum. Whilst I appreciate that the Club may want to protect the players from potential open criticism, I think if handled in the correct way with some Chatham House rules in advance {No negative stuff personalised to a player, no biting, scratching, that sort of thing...} it could work really well. Obvious candidates are:

Rich Keogh, Curtis Davies, David Nugent, THudd, ...

I think Curtis would be really excellent...he has a very cool head and is very articulate. It could be done to address specific topics like the PP atmosphere...a real dialogue between fans and players. Players could say, "when we are up against it, it really helps when the fans do the following..."

I think this is unexplored territory, but over a period of time would really drive fans and players closer and lead to more bespoke support that the players would respond to etc. It's just about understanding better the "science" of player-fan interaction, and mutual support. 

23 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

I think it would be good to get a player along to a future Fans' Forum. Whilst I appreciate that the Club may want to protect the players from potential open criticism, I think if handled in the correct way with some Chatham House rules in advance {No negative stuff personalised to a player, no biting, scratching, that sort of thing...} it could work really well. Obvious candidates are:

I think Curtis would be really excellent...he has a very cool head and is very articulate. It could be done to address specific topics like the PP atmosphere...a real dialogue between fans and players. Players could say, "when we are up against it, it really helps when the fans do the following..."

I think this is unexplored territory, but over a period of time would really drive fans and players closer and lead to more bespoke support that the players would respond to etc. It's just about understanding better the "science" of player-fan interaction, and mutual support. 

Love this idea, and agree that Curt would be an excellent choice.

17 minutes ago, Saul Pimpson said:

Love this idea, and agree that Curt would be an excellent choice.

12 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

Davies would be my pick to attend something like that, as for Keogh I love the bloke but there is only so many times I can here the phrase 'Like I said' before I would have to drink an entire bottle of gin.

Curtis and hudds attended an event like this at The yard a couple of week ago. Think it went well.

Should be like one of those charities where you adopt a Snow Leopard.  For £50 a year you get a cuddly toy representation of the player and monthly updates on his progress.  Of course you don;t know which snow leopard you will get so their will be no favs with 80% of the following.  You could get anybody but you get that connection feeling with no booing/moaning.

@Ellafella touched on a point in his post, mentioned Nuge. In any group there are those that have a certain personality that draws a crowd to him. One of those that loves an audience and the audience love him back. You can't make that, it's in your nature and Nuge  has it (and the skill to go with it) . It's players like these that really can lift a crowd. It speaks of self confidence and camaraderie. ... Cantona puffing his chest out and strutting is a prime example. "Love me" ... And they did 

i think it is something we could do with more of. ... Daft thing is Ince and Hughes had the skill to be like that but it wasn't  in their nature. You are or you aren't and I am not sure we can create it artificially 

1 hour ago, Ellafella said:

David Nugent is very good at this. I've also seen THudd and George Thorne do it. Keogh also. It's a very good point though @HorsforthRam and has the usual effect of making a hero out of the player who does it {in the fans' eyes}.

Thorne would be good ,even he couldn't get injured being a cheerleader,could he?

1 hour ago, Edtheram said:

I agree. If i was a footballer i would be in the crowd after every goal and also be giving my shirt to a lucky fan fan every game too. I think the players should interact with the fans more on and off the pitch?

Several of the players gave their shirts to young fans after the Forest match on Sunday and it was much appreciated.  Tom Lawrence was one of those, Casey Palmer, Curtis Davies not sure who else.

There are some games where I think the players would feel uncomfortable approaching their own fans given the reaction of some of them recently! 

Archived