Fans Forum 13th March

Message added by David

4 hours ago, Ewe Ram said:

Then you are part of the problem. If you believe that results happen from simple things then you’re wrong. There’s dozens of things that occur or don’t occur to bring about a result. The fans are a cog in the machine and the negativity is palpable in the ground most games. How do you enjoy performing your work in that kind of environment? Fans need to stop this stupid attitude and start supporting, encouraging and giving the team a push. 

well said ,but as iv'e said in the past if you keep on talking common sense you will go well above the whingers heads 

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 hours ago, David said:

Right but we're talking about situations where it's hundreds of fans in a players mentions after a game calling them bottlers, the media running stories that history is repeating itself, the February wheels are falling off.

Amazing how many want to stay in denial that this can have a negative impact on a players mental state, I could probably go pull quotes from numerous managers on this that work with the players day in day out but no, fans won't have it that young footballers might take comments to heart and start to believe they are not good enough.

Sky had a nice montage on this before the Forest game <_<

2 hours ago, Smyth_18 said:

These players should be given psychological help or swiftly moved on.

The crowd feels tense because we've been here so many times and it hurts that no matter what we do we just can't seem to make it.

The players train for their jobs all week and know what to do. It's in their own mindset whether they can or can't do it. The best out there believe they are in control of their own destiny and make it happen.

Spot on if a player can't take it they are in the wrong profession  To get out of this division you need every player wanting it in every match You will see that on Sunday that's why they are going up and we are not  Nothing at all to do with crowd reaction that's usually a managers excuse for a poor display 

3 hours ago, rynny said:

And as GR said last night that you have to give them a run of games to see if they are good enough. When have Hanson or Bennett had a decent run of games? Doesn't stop people declaring they aren't good enough for league 1/2 nevermind a team looking to get into the top 6 and promoted to the championship. And that is the point Mel and GR were making, either we give the youth players a run of games and give them some slack if we lose a couple of games or do we carry on the as we are, loaning our better youth players out to get some game time? They opened it up to the floor but no one said what they would prefer.

Did you watch the event? If not I recommend that you do. 

I would happily give them some slack if it meant giving the younger players a try. I'd love to see 2 or 3 of our young prospects getting regular game time next season. Timi Max Elsnik and Luke Thomas are 2 players that come to mind.

18 minutes ago, Mistaram said:

Spot on if a player can't take it they are in the wrong profession  To get out of this division you need every player wanting it in every match You will see that on Sunday that's why they are going up and we are not  Nothing at all to do with crowd reaction that's usually a managers excuse for a poor display 

Sounds as though they are pussies off the pitch as well as on it! decent tactics[instead of this jack Russell chasing the ball rubbish] and decent performances at home would soon turn the tide. Morris and rowett would not accept ***** in a restaurant.Why should the fans accept it at pride park.

10 minutes ago, SecretDave said:

I would happily give them some slack if it meant giving the younger players a try. I'd love to see 2 or 3 of our young prospects getting regular game time next season. Timi Max Elsnik and Luke Thomas are 2 players that come to mind.

Agreed, would love the spine of the team to be academy players, and would be happy to give them to time to grow as a team. It is one thing that I have said about the England team in the past.

56 minutes ago, SecretDave said:

I would too. Moaning fans will moan irrespective of who is playing though. It's the way of the world unfortunately. Does nobody any good - except the opposition.

It does look like the time has come to review the way ahead though. I think/hope all decent fans would give the younger members of the team some time to develop. Can't be sure of that though.

Put your hands up if you'd rather have Luke thomas playing instead of Anya. Bogle On the bench in stead of Baird. 

They are hopefully the future, so why not give them the chance? We will never know unless they get to play for a good 5-6 games.

i don't want to see 36 year old players that are either out of contract or not in the managers plans for next season taking up space in the match day 18. Be courageous Gary and give them that chance, see if they take it.

2 minutes ago, EnigmaRam said:

Put your hands up if you'd rather have Luke thomas playing instead of Anya. Bogle On the bench in stead of Baird...

i don't want to see 36 year old players that are either out of contract or not in the managers plans for next season taking up space in the match day 18. Be courageous Gary and give them that chance, see if they take it.

See that's what surprised me again, I though Rowett wanted hungry, young players, but ours can't even get on the bench. Do we have to buy some in then?

3 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

See that's what surprised me again, I though Rowett wanted hungry, young players, but ours can't even get on the bench. Do we have to buy some in then?

If we didn't, people would slag off Mel and GR for lacking ambition.

5 hours ago, Mistaram said:

I just wonder why we expect footballers to be any different to any other section of society and workplace just because they can kick a bag of wind around better than most of the population.

If you play for a football team at any level, or a cricket or hockey team come to that, there will be some who are good, some who are good but lazy, some who aren't very good but try hard, some who give up when they drop a catch or go one down, some who are mouthy and gee their own side up, some who never say a word, some who moan at the ref, some that get on with it.

And so it is at every place of work. Some walked 10 miles through snow and some went sledging; some never have a day off sick, some are off with a sniffle; some are good at what they're paid to do, some are not; some will get to the top of their profession and others won't.

And so it will be at football clubs including ours. Some will not 'want it' as much as others. Just not in their nature, wherever they go.

But over 30 years of managing teams and people in lots of different organisations tells me that the vast majority of people perform better when they are encouraged and supported rather than having to 'take it' when they make a mistake. Which is the only point that Gaz and Mel were making, and which is something we actually can do, if we 'want it' enough.

If we have one of the best academy structures in the country then you would expect to see talent filtering through - and if they are good enough they should play (even if it starts off as regular sub with the odd cameo 15-20 minutes).

You have to wonder whether the management has faith in these players to give them a go.

As for the social media points - seriously struggling to believe that players would be surprised at online fan criticism when the team has picked up 8 points in 8 games at a critical stage when one of our main rivals have picked up 22 !!  Surely they can understand the frustration of fans when they have to watch poor performances at a similar (critical) time every season.

I do strongly agree though that the stadium atmosphere has to improve. I actually believe in blind faith supporting my team on match day because why would I ever want to give the opposition an edge when they see the home fans booing players and berating players?

Much smaller clubs than us put our home fans to shame at times - look at Crystal Palace as an example - win, lose draw they sing and chant from minute one to minute 90 - even when they are taking a pasting they carry on singing - because why would they want to boost the opposing team?

I dont advocate blind faith in many situations but match day it should be the law :)

12 minutes ago, Yani P said:

If we have one of the best academy structures in the country then you would expect to see talent filtering through - and if they are good enough they should play (even if it starts off as regular sub with the odd cameo 15-20 minutes).

You have to wonder whether the management has faith in these players to give them a go.

As for the social media points - seriously struggling to believe that players would be surprised at online fan criticism when the team has picked up 8 points in 8 games at a critical stage when one of our main rivals have picked up 22 !!  Surely they can understand the frustration of fans when they have to watch poor performances at a similar (critical) time every season.

I do strongly agree though that the stadium atmosphere has to improve. I actually believe in blind faith supporting my team on match day because why would I ever want to give the opposition an edge when they see the home fans booing players and berating players?

Much smaller clubs than us put our home fans to shame at times - look at Crystal Palace as an example - win, lose draw they sing and chant from minute one to minute 90 - even when they are taking a pasting they carry on singing - because why would they want to boost the opposing team?

I dont advocate blind faith in many situations but match day it should be the law :)

That Palace thing is a bit of a myth though.. It’s only a few hundred Eastern Europeans in that corner of the Holmsdale End. 

Moany as the rest of us otherwise.

3 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

Roy I don't know if you have seen these under23 players because the ones who are presently with us and not on loan are nowhere near ready for Championship football  Thomas is skilled but still physically weak that's because he's still maturing Bogle is a very good attacking full back but defensively still a bit naive  No good people blaming Rowett for not playing them you have to be extremely careful with youngster to early and you can ruin a career Can't remember Mclaren giving to many youngsters their debuts 

7 hours ago, Seaside Sam said:

well said ,but as iv'e said in the past if you keep on talking common sense you will go well above the whingers heads 

Where's the common sense?

to accuse someone who never boos, never slags them off on social media etc etc as being part of the problem? 

I feel that the academy is moving on in that Rowett has started to insist they go out on loan for their development this season - with record numbers out there.

Yes, it leaves us short in an injury crisis but it should improve us next season when some of those returning players will hopefully get their chance. If they don't,  I will be disappointed. 

I'm always amused by snowflake fans who as soon as any kind of "might help if we were supported and not have you all screaming how **** we are every match" get all indignant about the feedback, and, it's their fault for not being as good as they're supposed to be, or, even funnier the "I'm offended!" When the person recieving the mass constructive criticism bites back and reacts in some way...Chris Baird flipped the bird at someone who'd been given him dogs abuse...the I'm offended reaction was pretty sad.

Archived