First pubs visited

Hollybush

Pre-match we used to go to the Sherwood Foresters - then the Chestnut for a few years and eventually switched to the Pear Tree Tavern. First regular 'boozer' was the Crest Hotel in Littleover - as a 16 year-old there was never a problem getting served and the BrewXI (ugh!) was 40p a pint....

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
46 minutes ago, David said:

Still unsure as to why they would subject a tourist to that establishment, not all pubs are like that in this country, you'll have to take my word for it.

40 minutes ago, Boycie said:

Hark at the beerhunter.

23 minutes ago, David said:

Do not insult me like that. Lagerhunter. Those that mock can't handle the bubbles, straight to their head. 

Another thread turns into a lovers tiff

I never went in a pub before a game at the BBG. Started going with my Dad and older brothers as a 5 yr old so was never part of the routine. 

First pint I bought before a game was at the Fox Inn at Kirton on the way to watch us at Lincoln.

Brunny or Alex now. 

5 hours ago, David said:

Still unsure as to why they would subject a tourist to that establishment, not all pubs are like that in this country, you'll have to take my word for it.

Yes, I did notice that. When I went to see Wolves vs Aston Villa there was a 300 lb bloke at the door who wanted to check my backpack for any weapons.

If we are talking first pubs and not just around the ground ,then the New Inn ,the Tiger ,Fishermans Rest and Railway along with Turks Head in Long Eaton  was the places you could get served underage back in the day .

Drinks were fabulous, Double Diamond ,Watney's Red  Shipo's [great laxative], Hardy Hansons etc .Joking of course one thing that wasn't better in the good old days was the beer.

18 hours ago, Seaside Sam said:

Wagon and horse's  Ashbourne road used to spend my school dinner money there closely followed by the Yeoman ,travellers,swan and salmon ,gallant hussar ,brick and tile garrick and the greyhound,not for the faint hearted,no wonder i'm a ruined man.

The Derby Mile.....comletely wasted by the time you hit town.

On 3/10/2018 at 17:38, Zag zig said:

Not so much a pub but W.M.C on Elton Road (dad and uncle drank there for years), was drinking shandy’s in there from the age of 6 :lol:

The O.P.T.A (Osmaston park tenants association club) was a place we went into many times. My dad was a member and we used to go on annual club trips to places like Alton towers when we were kids. I managed to get barred for life as a 14 year old in 1977 for nicking the Union Jack off the roof :whistle: and then got barred for life again when I was 19 when one of the committee members pushed the balls down the pockets 2 minutes after last orders were called and he ended up with a sore nose.

The Osmaston Park hotel was my first regular pub when former footballer Dougie Taft ran it.

4 hours ago, ossieram said:

The O.P.T.A (Osmaston park tenants association club) was a place we went into many times. My dad was a member and we used to go on annual club trips to places like Alton towers when we were kids. I managed to get barred for life as a 14 year old in 1977 for nicking the Union Jack off the roof :whistle: and then got barred for life again when I was 19 when one of the committee members pushed the balls down the pockets 2 minutes after last orders were called and he ended up with a sore nose.

The Osmaston Park hotel was my first regular pub when former footballer Dougie Taft ran it.

Ha, you’re right. That’s the place, only went matchdays but my Uncle worked down the road at Royce’s, so it was a bit of an after workplace pint for him. Could never park in the club, got there too late, so we used to park in Royce’s car park down the road for years, the old security guy on the gates knew him and always saved us a space when it was jammed like sardines. Then we would walk up to the club before sprinting back, over the bridge, through the estates to get in with a few minutes spare.

Funny, just remembered the old man used to try and get in the Football Tavern odd times, we used to park behind it, again a Royce’s one, opposite the away coaches. Walked up many a time with away fans and back down that corrugated alleyway. The cops always used to let him and my uncle through because of us kids, those were the behind the Ossie end days.

Number of times we used to hear all the abuse of rival fans, it was like a cattle herd going down that alley with big away followings; totally lost my fear of crowds and probably explains why it never bothers me sitting with home fans when we play away :lol:

Archived