First pubs visited

Hollybush

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Baseball Hotel - upstairs room. Bottles of pop and packets of Monster Munch for my two little ones, couple of pints for me. Then into the Key Club at the ground for pasties and bovril.

At the BBG me and my mate (both about 14-15) used to get served at the little beer kiosk at the back of the popside. The pubs near the ground always used to be heaving and a bit scary for us young lads.

First pub i ever got served in was the Cliff Inn in crich age 13 (them were the days) and from then on regularly at the west hallam white hart, through my school years, didnt really go there much after 16 or 17.

When older we used to regularly frequent your namesake the holly bush in makeney, back in the eighties it was awesome, amazing pint of ruddles county served from a metal jug.

When I was much younger (way before the kids came along), a bunch of us from Donington always used to get an early bus into Derby before heading up to the Sitwell Arms on Sacheverel Street for a game of pool and a few pints.

One of the first and still best pubs I have  been too is The Castle Restaurant & Pub in Natchez,Mississippi; went there first about ten years ago while on a trip with my dad and have been a few times since while on various trips/work stuff. Always outstanding beer selection and incredible food.

2 hours ago, eddie said:

When I was much younger (way before the kids came along), a bunch of us from Donington always used to get an early bus into Derby before heading up to the Sitwell Arms on Sacheverel Street for a game of pool and a few pints.

Probably the only pub mentioned in the thread so far that's still open.

Me and my mate used to have a lift into Derby by our dads on alternate home matches and parked up near litchurch St. The closest pub was the litchurch arms,( if I remember that name correctly), right dive, hardly anyone ever there but a really good pint. This would be around '77- 79ish

Can't remember the first pub I had my first pint in. The first pub where I bought my own first pint was in Dolgellau, North Wales, while on a school camping holiday at the age of fifteen.

As for the pre match pint that use to be The Sherwood on St Thomas Road. Drink till closing time, run down to the BBG and then up the stairs at the back of the popside, just as the Rams ran onto the pitch. Happy days, great memories.

9 hours ago, Gritters said:

I used to go to one on Crew Street. I think it may have been the Crew Arms.

I lived on Crew Street in the 80s. Used to go in the Old Spa, but preferred the Seven Stars, Dolphin, Exeter, Silk Mill. 

First pint was on a walking holiday somewhere in Yorkshire with my cousin’s church youth group. He was the vicar and we’d stopped at a pub with a big garden for sandwiches. When he asked what we all wanted to drink, I said a pint of beer, so he got me one, bless him. I was thirteen. 

First pint I bought myself was in the beer tent at Cambridge regatta about a year later. All the boys in fancy blazers were getting served, so I queued up. It was Abbott Ale and cost 50p. 

12 hours ago, Cisse said:

I used to hide near pointy room before the games. As Boycie can verify.

Still unsure as to why they would subject a tourist to that establishment, not all pubs are like that in this country, you'll have to take my word for it.

Archived