Favourite Derby shirts

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 09/03/2018 at 15:47, irobinson said:

5aa2f2a824c8a_51ofMpxjeL.jpg.7c4d6de282097f7eda3ddef058041170.jpgCG.jpg.8a6c2431a408794f1d18a65556c26eea.jpg

s.jpeg

s.jpeg

My old man helped put on Roy Mac's testimonial. By way of thanks Roy gave him the shirt (same as the one in this pic) that he wore in the Charity Shield. It even said Charity Shield on it.

Guess what I did with it?

I $*&^%$ lost it moving home for the first time :'-(

2 minutes ago, Pearl Ram said:

@loweman2 Can you disclose why Willie Carling had refused to sign the shirt for you ? If it breaches a confidentiality, no worries. 

I wrote to him a polite letter few weeks ago and asked if I could pop for him to sign it, I didn’t get a call or email etc so I thought I would have a drive round, I knocked and once again being aware that he was elderly very respectfully introduced myself to which he just “no thank you” and literally shut the door in my face.

so I then came up with a plan B, with all of the players I always buy them something as a little thank you, it’s normally an excellent book called “ Derby County - The Clough Years” so I bought a copy for Willie and persuaded the good lady wife to go round and knock and to ask if Willie would sign it.

i normally wouldn’t pursue it but Willie Carlin was a massive cog that when Clough and Taylor inserted him into the team the good times were well and truly kicked off ! So on a shirt that represents the starting point I really needed him on it.

so, much against her wishes but with the promise of a new handbag the wife set off on her mission, I was hid in the car and watched from the window, she went into a proper head to head battle with Mrs Carlin who was less keen than Willie for him to sign it but then the book was produced and Mrs Carlin could see that she was genuine so she said that he would sign it, so a victory for the ladies !

he doesn’t like signing much so I was quite pleased, I did then have to admit that I had my fingers crossed behind my back when I promised the handbag ! ? 

Thanks loweman, I remember watching him warm up, running up and down in front of the paddock, (I watched from the boy’s end) while all the other players knocked a ball about between them, ahead of his time Willie, he knew about warming up before it became the norm.

And you are quite correct, he was an invaluable cog in C&T’s vision for the club. 

10 minutes ago, Smyth_18 said:

One of my favourites. Queued up for this on the release day. Am i right in thinking only 2000 were made?

yes I think so, this one is even rarer as it is a player issue / worn shirt !

On 23/04/2018 at 15:11, loweman2 said:

picked up this today, the rarely used 1979/80 third shirt, its a silvery sky blue / silver silk like player issued shirt, they certainly don't make them like they used to, really nice shirt to add to my collection, they never made replicas of these.

IMG_2292.jpg

IMG_2293.jpg

IMG_2294.jpg

IMG_2295.jpg

IMG_2296.jpg

IMG_2297.jpg

IMG_2298.jpg

IMG_2299.jpg

Who played number 2 then was it Langan?

I *think* those two yellow 3rd shirts are from different seasons, the v-neck being from our first two seasons in the First Division under Arthur. though I only seem to remember us wearing it against Sheffield Wednesday and QPR those years as we had the (rather excellent) blue chequerboard change kit. The collared version being brought in the following season, which wasn't worn against QPR as we had the grey and black change shirt then and not sure what we wore against Wednesday.

Of course these were the perfect days when you'd wear a combination of kits solely to avoid clashes and not as a marketing exercise (spot the grumpy old man) As such I don't think the 3rd shirt was every available to buy commercially and if I remember correctly the 'beach ball kit' (copyright Graham Richards) which debuted away at Sunderland was only made available after pressure from fans.

B4O35N5.jpg

I took the opportunity of having Franny Lee sign my 1974/75 signature shirt over the weekend, just got to get Bruce Rioch to come out of his hidey hole in Cornwall !  Looks great though and ready to be re framed, just a couple more on the 1968/71 shirt then that will be three brilliant shirts that capture our time in the sunshine as the greatest team in England ! Maybe just maybe the greatest team in the world at that time ? ! ?

6F227156-842C-4FA8-B31F-9F998B439195.jpeg

A5FC68C5-FC76-4FEC-B358-EBCF934835B3.jpeg

E7DF91EF-427E-43FE-86EE-C11F9E9FF541.jpeg

Archived