Mea Culpa, I was wrong.

RoyMac5

2 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

I was wrong about Rowett. I really believed he would do as he talked. I was looking forward to seeing a tight knit squad with some young hungry talented players fighting for promotion.

I no longer believe all the guff that came out of Rowetts mouth. He sounded great, gonna play different ways depending on the opposition, want young hungry players, etc etc

I realised he's ALL talk. That is why he has to go, not that he's got rid of Hughes, Ince, Martin and Bryson.

I was wrong to believe him. :( 

Now come on Roy derby didn’t win ,,, where’s the smiley face imogi?

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Bwash_Ram said:

With hindsight we should have never gotten rid of Cloughie, if he'd had the kind of money available, that the last few managers have had, we'd be in europe now, not scrattling around in the championship.

If Clough had money we’d of had 11 Sammons. He found better talent with less money.

15 minutes ago, metalsheep02 said:

Could you expand a little more? I am thinking that this didn't happen under Mac 1 or Clement (or I don't think it did).

in context you asked (my response has nothing to do with Mac & Cheese)

For whatever reason I have never known the views on a manager divide the fanbase to such an extent. I would love to understand why that is the case

We have lost 3 in 18 one of those to Man Utd.

We have every chance of this still being our most successful season since the WBA play-off season.

Back to the OP, really you were wrong - again - and this is worthy of a new thread because......

7 minutes ago, DC-1975 said:

These players were both willing to move to Derby were they?

Haven’t Cardiff sent Bogle out on loan to League One!

Blimey - I meant Ollie Watkins, not Bogle.

No idea whether either would move to Derby, would you expect me too?

10 minutes ago, Dethorn said:

Back to the OP, really you were wrong - again - and this is worthy of a new thread because......

Because there were comments being made that suggested I didn't want Rowett to succeed. Is this the Rowett he promises was my point. Not, is my answer.

Worth talking about how others feel about the gap between what Rowett says and what Rowett does.

If we miss out on the play-offs this season, then would anybody be surprised if Rowett was sacked?  It won't be the entertaining free-flowing football that saves him, will it?  If GR's year's work consists having little use for our most talented player in Hughes and not trying to prevent him from leaving the club, playing dull uninspiring football effectively until a post Christmas implosion causes us to miss out on the play-offs, could anyone really consider the season to be a step in the right direction?

However, I do think we will still sneak into the play-offs and that will be enough to save his job.  

7 minutes ago, DC-1975 said:

That’s the point, how can anyone slate a manager for not signing players when they have no idea if that player would even consider the move.

A caller to Radio Derby said that he’d written to Mel Morris to tell him to sign Cairney and was upset that he’d not done it and hadn’t replied to him. 

Many on here wanted us to blow the budget on Jota last summer. That’s Jota who struggles to get in the Birmingham team now.

Well what is the point asking the question then. You could just have posted 'how can anyone slate a manager for not signing players when they have no idea if that player would even consider the move' and stopped the discussion there.

My personal view is that both Mcburnie and Watkins would have been realistic for us but maybe they didn't want to come, maybe they didn't fancy the style of football.

2 hours ago, David said:

2 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

So more than 60% of fans expected Top 6. Not low then.

Well, expectations were certainly lower than you seem to think, if 5th should be considered to be a failure. By that poll, if we stay in the play-offs, only 8.1% of voters will be justfied to feel disappointed.

Stop beating GR with the "well he said we're aiming at top 2" thing. Of course he's going to say that. The question wasn't what is the minimum measure of sucess?. Maybe it should have been but that's not GR's fault.

12 minutes ago, DC-1975 said:

A caller to Radio Derby said that he’d written to Mel Morris to tell him to sign Cairney and was upset that he’d not done it and hadn’t replied to him. 

Seriously? I have no words. ?

2 minutes ago, Wolfie said:

Stop beating GR with the "well he said we're aiming at top 2" thing. Of course he's going to say that. The question wasn't what is the minimum measure of sucess?. Maybe it should have been but that's not GR's fault.

Perhaps Gary should have kept our expectations in check slightly by not mentioning Top 2? That's GRs fault. But that isn't the main issue, the who is the real Gary Rowett is.

43 minutes ago, DC-1975 said:

Who would you have signed in the transfer window?

Bit of a daft question tbh, for one whoever I put you would reply “and they would come to Derby” or “cost to much” etc etc.  Secondly I haven’t got a scooby about other players outside of what I see at PP, and lastly your question doesn’t take into account that if I was signing players, had scouts working for me and the access to budgets and agents etc.. I wouldn’t be playing the same style as GR so there the question becomes irrelevant.

What I can say based on what I have seen, is I would have kept JR, even half committed is better than nothing, wouldn’t have signed C.J, would have not signed Palmer (if that was the only money available), and finally if I was in charge of the purse strings, drove GR to stoke.

17 minutes ago, DC-1975 said:

That’s the point, how can anyone slate a manager for not signing players when they have no idea if that player would even consider the move.

Many on here wanted us to blow the budget on Jota last summer. That’s Jota who struggles to get in the Birmingham team now.

Jerome struggled to get in the Norwich team....just saying

5 minutes ago, Wolfie said:

Well, expectations were certainly lower than you seem to think, if 5th should be considered to be a failure. By that poll, if we stay in the play-offs, only 8.1% of voters will be justfied to feel disappointed.

No he isn't bound to say that. He probably wishes he hadn't said it but he could have been much vaguer in his response and I have mentioned how Billy Davies (I know!) handled such questions much better in another thread.

It is an unfortunate truth that Rowett said what he did, can't just say 'stop mentioning that, he had no choice'. 

Having said all that he still may deliver, atm the moment we are top 6 and I took his comments as more being in top 6 than being top 2 so fingers crossed.

2 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

Roy, you've literally slagged Rowett off, consistently, from day one. 

NOT true. I believed what he said about his plans for Derby, although was nervous after the end of season displays.

I agree with @RoyMac5 that Rowetts words and actions don't always correlate. However I think it would be folly to pull the trigger on him at this stage. I'm not his biggest fan by a long way but he'd go up in my estimation if he can pull us out of this slump. This is a big test of how good/bad a manager he is. If he's banking on our luck changing to turn things around then that's a risky strategy. I want to see him being proactive but fear he is stubborn and set in his ways. The Forest game has extra pressure added to it now. Lose that and Mels finger may get very twitchy. 

33 minutes ago, Highgate said:

If we miss out on the play-offs this season, then would anybody be surprised if Rowett was sacked?  It won't be the entertaining free-flowing football that saves him, will it?  If GR's year's work consists having little use for our most talented player in Hughes and not trying to prevent him from leaving the club, playing dull uninspiring football effectively until a post Christmas implosion causes us to miss out on the play-offs, could anyone really consider the season to be a step in the right direction?

However, I do think we will still sneak into the play-offs and that will be enough to save his job.  

I would be very surprised if he's sacked, even if we somehow ended up finishing down near mid table. I get the impression that after all the managerial changes in recent years and still not much/any improvement, he'll try a different approach of sticking by the current one. I just hope that he reminds Rowett we were supposed to be trying to sign younger players who's value will increase, not putting together a team of pensioners

31 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Perhaps Gary should have kept our expectations in check slightly by not mentioning Top 2? That's GRs fault. But that isn't the main issue, the who is the real Gary Rowett is.

OK, so if he'd stuck to saying playoffs as the aim, you wouldn't have criticised him for lacking ambtition?.

Of course you would

Archived