Sign in to follow this  
toddy

Would missing out on the play offs

i don't want us to go up, we're not close to being ready, but i will take us making the playoffs and getting into the final for the extra cash

9 hours ago, toddy said:

Would missing out on the play offs be should a bad thing?

I think we have been punching above our weight all season are now probably getting close to where we should be results wise.

GR could use this season as a bench mark on which positions need to be improved and bring players in for a real promotion push next season?

I think we have to be realistic, we have had a good season so far but are a bit short in quality to take us up. And to be very honest if we got up via the play offs we would need a 98% squad change just to be able to fight for survival in the premiership, [really don't need a 2008 repeat]

So maybe GR uses this season as experience and pushes on for next season?

What do others think?

The problem is we havent been punching above our weight since xmas.

2 hours ago, brady1993 said:

Also I don't see how Rowett can justifiably keep his job. Other managers have been sacked for less and I think all faith in him from the fanbase will be largely gone. 

If Rowett is sacked before October/November then I think the opposite; all faith in Mel from the fanbase will be largely gone. I certainly wouldn't support yet another managerial change

11 minutes ago, Ramchop said:

If Rowett is sacked before October/November then I think the opposite; all faith in Mel from the fanbase will be largely gone. I certainly wouldn't support yet another managerial change.

There's two strands to this whether I (or any other fan) would want Rowett sacked in the summer in this situation and whether I think MM will sack Rowett if that situation unfolds.

Personally I'd probably lean towards saying, if we crashed out of the playoffs from where we were and given all the bold decisions Rowett has made, its time to look elsewhere for a manager. But I definately think it's debatable and can certainly see both sides to it. 

However I'm pretty confident MM would sack him if this situation unfolds. He has sacked managers with better records  (I'm saying Rowett's record at the end of the season where we finish out of the playoffs).

10 minutes ago, brady1993 said:

However I'm pretty confident MM would sack him if this situation unfolds. He has sacked managers with better records  (I'm saying Rowett's record at the end of the season where we finish out of the playoffs).

Not 100% sure about Mel still having an itchy trigger finger, things have changed slightly behind the scenes and GR really is *his* man.

19 minutes ago, brady1993 said:

There's two strands to this whether I (or any other fan) would want Rowett sacked in the summer in this situation and whether I think MM will sack Rowett if that situation unfolds.

Personally I'd probably lean towards saying, if we crashed out of the playoffs from where we were and given all the bold decisions Rowett has made, its time to look elsewhere for a manager. But I definately think it's debatable and can certainly see both sides to it. 

If we hadn't had the purple patch in the middle of the season and barely missed the playoffs, would you say the same thing?

Rowett got a new contract. To sack him now would make our financial situation worse. And would show that Mel has no idea what he's doing

1 hour ago, RoyMac5 said:

Not 100% sure about Mel still having an itchy trigger finger, things have changed slightly behind the scenes and GR really is *his* man.

Think so too.

Plus - he has had some bad luck having made some ballsy decisions.....

Winnall.....bad luck

Thorne.....his come back has completely stalled. Looked great at Ipswich I think and thought he was improving but he has gone backwards since those early return appearances.

Fozzy.....similar to Thorne. Performances are getting worse the more minutes he gets.

Lookman.....I'll put this down as bad luck but really there is an element of poor contingency planning in there.

I would think Mel would be giving him another window, but probably setting a clear expectation that the majority of any new faces next season have got to come from within. He might even stipulate sales and not reinvest the cash.

1 minute ago, HantsRam said:

I would think Mel would be giving him another window, but probably setting a clear expectation that the majority of any new faces next season have got to come from within. He might even stipulate sales and not reinvest the cash.

Thing is when you know that he was trying to sign Jerome this summer then the light goes out just a little bit more...

Don’t sit on the sidelines, let your voice be heard!

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.