Would missing out on the play offs

toddy

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, toddy said:

Would missing out on the play offs be should a bad thing?

I think we have been punching above our weight all season are now probably getting close to where we should be results wise.

GR could use this season as a bench mark on which positions need to be improved and bring players in for a real promotion push next season?

I think we have to be realistic, we have had a good season so far but are a bit short in quality to take us up. And to be very honest if we got up via the play offs we would need a 98% squad change just to be able to fight for survival in the premiership, [really don't need a 2008 repeat]

So maybe GR uses this season as experience and pushes on for next season?

What do others think?

The problem is we havent been punching above our weight since xmas.

2 hours ago, brady1993 said:

Also I don't see how Rowett can justifiably keep his job. Other managers have been sacked for less and I think all faith in him from the fanbase will be largely gone. 

If Rowett is sacked before October/November then I think the opposite; all faith in Mel from the fanbase will be largely gone. I certainly wouldn't support yet another managerial change

11 minutes ago, Ramchop said:

If Rowett is sacked before October/November then I think the opposite; all faith in Mel from the fanbase will be largely gone. I certainly wouldn't support yet another managerial change.

There's two strands to this whether I (or any other fan) would want Rowett sacked in the summer in this situation and whether I think MM will sack Rowett if that situation unfolds.

Personally I'd probably lean towards saying, if we crashed out of the playoffs from where we were and given all the bold decisions Rowett has made, its time to look elsewhere for a manager. But I definately think it's debatable and can certainly see both sides to it. 

However I'm pretty confident MM would sack him if this situation unfolds. He has sacked managers with better records  (I'm saying Rowett's record at the end of the season where we finish out of the playoffs).

10 minutes ago, brady1993 said:

However I'm pretty confident MM would sack him if this situation unfolds. He has sacked managers with better records  (I'm saying Rowett's record at the end of the season where we finish out of the playoffs).

Not 100% sure about Mel still having an itchy trigger finger, things have changed slightly behind the scenes and GR really is *his* man.

19 minutes ago, brady1993 said:

There's two strands to this whether I (or any other fan) would want Rowett sacked in the summer in this situation and whether I think MM will sack Rowett if that situation unfolds.

Personally I'd probably lean towards saying, if we crashed out of the playoffs from where we were and given all the bold decisions Rowett has made, its time to look elsewhere for a manager. But I definately think it's debatable and can certainly see both sides to it. 

If we hadn't had the purple patch in the middle of the season and barely missed the playoffs, would you say the same thing?

Rowett got a new contract. To sack him now would make our financial situation worse. And would show that Mel has no idea what he's doing

1 hour ago, RoyMac5 said:

Not 100% sure about Mel still having an itchy trigger finger, things have changed slightly behind the scenes and GR really is *his* man.

Think so too.

Plus - he has had some bad luck having made some ballsy decisions.....

Winnall.....bad luck

Thorne.....his come back has completely stalled. Looked great at Ipswich I think and thought he was improving but he has gone backwards since those early return appearances.

Fozzy.....similar to Thorne. Performances are getting worse the more minutes he gets.

Lookman.....I'll put this down as bad luck but really there is an element of poor contingency planning in there.

I would think Mel would be giving him another window, but probably setting a clear expectation that the majority of any new faces next season have got to come from within. He might even stipulate sales and not reinvest the cash.

1 minute ago, HantsRam said:

I would think Mel would be giving him another window, but probably setting a clear expectation that the majority of any new faces next season have got to come from within. He might even stipulate sales and not reinvest the cash.

Thing is when you know that he was trying to sign Jerome this summer then the light goes out just a little bit more...

13 hours ago, toddy said:

I think we have been punching above our weight all season are now probably getting close to where we should be results wise.

GR could use this season as a bench mark on which positions need to be improved and bring players in for a real promotion push next season?

I think we have to be realistic, we have had a good season so far but are a bit short in quality to take us up. And to be very honest if we got up via the play offs we would need a 98% squad change just to be able to fight for survival in the premiership, [really don't need a 2008 repeat]

What do others think?

I think you've been fraped mate - far too reasonable to be the 'real you'.

I would like to know who suggested a move for Cameron Jerome to help push on our promotion push. He has been out of form and certainly not looking likely to score all season at Norwich....when he has played. City were happy to take the money. He is a trier but the light has gone out.

17 hours ago, Ramchop said:

If we hadn't had the purple patch in the middle of the season and barely missed the playoffs, would you say the same thing?

Rowett got a new contract. To sack him now would make our financial situation worse. And would show that Mel has no idea what he's doing

Hmm on the first part I'm not sure. I certainly think that there would be a debate to have over his position and that itd be far from secure, as ostensibly he would have failed in the objective to challenge for promotion and arguably wouldn't have progressed from last season. 

I agree on the financial aspect and I think there would be a debate to be had on MM was doing but on the front if Rowett has been given a full season and had has demonstrated little sign of improvement (I.e. not finishing in the playoffs) then personally I don't think I could begrudge Mel Morris on that front. 

Disclaimer: I'm adamantly against sacking Rowett before the end of the season and if he finishes in the playoffs I'd be firmly for him still being in charge going into next season. 

On 07/03/2018 at 06:47, toddy said:

What do others think?

Yes we need the money 

On 07/03/2018 at 08:51, RamNut said:

Where we finish is becoming irrelevant because I fear that this is turning into a major rebuild.

carson - good

wisdom - "dont talk to me about wisdom" mrs ram

fozzy - 33% pass accuracy

baird - 36

olsson - short 

anya - shorter

keogh - keogh

pearce - slow

davies - ok 

shackell - on his way

huddlestone - long ball

ledley - short term

george - damaged

hanson - irrelevant

butterfield - not wanted

bradley - the wheels have come off

elsnik - the great white hope

weimann - depends on the system

lawrence - not feeling the love

nuge - knackered

vydra - the next big fee earner

jerome - more stationary than WHSmiths

Martin - cold shouldered

bryson - see above 

blackman - can't we just pretend it never happened

So.......

whats our recruitment like?

If it wasn’t so true it would be highly funny ! 

I can’t see Rowett being changed this or next season and we need stability but what I don’t like is watching games with little attacking intent - I do like good defending don’t get me wrong but our whole game plan is about being attacked and trying to counter attack and nick a goal or two and defend the lead which can work out as we have seen but you need other teams to help you and if they don’t we have no method of opening them up - hence plenty of draws 

to counter attack you need four very quick goal scorers and we now only have Vydra and wieman who come close to that and finances being what they are one decent bid for Vydra and I suspect we would sell

18 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

Yeah you might be right on this front but Its something that's hard to say until it comes down to decision making time. After all Clement was supposed to be "Our Alex Ferguson", and he got the sack. 

16 hours ago, MikeS said:

I would like to know who suggested a move for Cameron Jerome to help push on our promotion push. He has been out of form and certainly not looking likely to score all season at Norwich....when he has played. City were happy to take the money. He is a trier but the light has gone out.

Well considering the subsequent injury to Winnall, he's hardly torn down any trees (maybe on Sunday? hopefully literally) but a sensible investment in regards to the squad.

Yes - it would be bad for morale

Yes - it would lead to more questions about our manager/squad - I think we need some stability

Yes - it means we would not have the chance of going up - no one wants another 2008 but if we can just stay up (or not) think of all the extra money for re-building

Yes - even if it is a real QPR kinda deflating day - it is a great day

Yes - defeated playoff final teams have that bitter memory to spur them on to go for the auto's next time

Yes - I think we are a premiership club with a premiership ground - it galls me to see the likes of burnley, bournemouth, leicester, brighton, stoke, huddersfield, Swansea, Palace, WBA, and watford up there above us - it will take four years to relegate that lot - a really good time to be up there rebuilding. (note some of those teams I quite like, but even they still gall me)

If I left anyone in doubt - I think it would be a bad thing

Archived