Jorge Mendes

David

Intresting one this and it sounds like a conflict of interest situation for example Aston Villa - can we sign Jota for £12 million and pay him £40,000 a week please mr Mendes, response no I told him he is going to wolves on loan and be on £8,000 a week - just a small example of possible situations 

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Even if they have broken the rules, any punishment won't amount to anything more than a slap on the wrist - and there would no doubt be appeals (as per FFP) so Wolves will get promoted, we won't, and the world will carry on pretty much as before....

8 hours ago, Mr Giggles said:

Surprised we haven't seen more of it tbh - in a way its genius, makes the club millions.. The money they are spending now will look like nothing soon.

What’s more frustrating is they’ve largely loaned in all of the players, so I guess they haven’t actually spent that much in terms of transfer fees.

I think it’s unethical what they’ve done. I can’t imagine any other club could attract such quality players any other way, yet Wolves have been allowed to bring in five or six.

Reading Leeds owners comments on Twitter, I had no idea that the Fosun Group (who own Wolves) have shares in Jorge Mendes’s football agency. That does sound very fishy to me. I don’t have an issue with Wolves’s signings, but you’re not allowed to own two football clubs in the EFL, so why should you be able to own a football club, and an agency firm who represent and influence players who play in the EFL? 

I don’t see any repercussions for Wolves, but I do see a change in legislation at the end of the season, similar to how the whole Pozzo and Watford issue was resolved.  

If Wolves are "bending" the rules to gain an unfair advantage, they;ll find it harder to get away with anything in the Premier League where everything is under the microscope 24 hours a day.

What gets me is that some of these players are far too good for the Championship, so why are they not being snapped up by Premier clubs? Teams like West Ham, Leicester and Palace would pay them more than Wolves.

Some Wolves fans think they'll break into the Top Four and be playing in the Champions League in 2/3 years.

Can't see it myself - they'll be similar to Watford (no team spirit)....10th/17th.;)

4 hours ago, Grantona said:

If Wolves are "bending" the rules to gain an unfair advantage, they;ll find it harder to get away with anything in the Premier League where everything is under the microscope 24 hours a day.

What gets me is that some of these players are far too good for the Championship, so why are they not being snapped up by Premier clubs? Teams like West Ham, Leicester and Palace would pay them more than Wolves.

Some Wolves fans think they'll break into the Top Four and be playing in the Champions League in 2/3 years.

Can't see it myself - they'll be similar to Watford (no team spirit)....10th/17th.;)

These players probably have some sort of deal where it’s: play 1 season for these guys, enjoy being a big fish in a little pond, then I’ll get you your dream move the following season. 

What Wolves are doing doesn't surprise me at all. Football is often about who you know rather than what you know.

How often does a player join a club to play with former teammates or to work under a former manager? Very often. How often do agents influence where a player might be headed next? Very often.

They've taken a gamble because playing in the top divisions in Spain and Portugal is a world away from the Championship and many probably thought Wolves would have a soft centre or a divided squad or that their strategy would be unsustainable. No-one was complaining in 2016-17 when Wolves were also-rans.

What they have done is very risky but also very clever because the three or four marquee players they have brought in - Ruben Neves, Diogo Jota, Ivan Cavaleiro and Helder Costa - are not proven players looking for one final flourish but players at a good age with room to improve and players who the club can be built around. If the players adjust to Premier League football it presents the possibility of them being sold for a handsome profit. So the £40 million they have spent to procure these players could look like chicken feed if they make the step up in the Premier League.

Compare that to Villa or ourselves for example - both clubs have squads full of players that are very much top Championship players or Premier League players in the twilight of their careers. In truth, very few would be earmarked as players to build a Premier League squad around moving forward. At the end of the day, we haven't got a leg to stand on with the way we have been operating in recent years - there are tens of clubs who would kill for the resources Villa and Derby have. 

With Wolves, you take out their key players and it's not an outstanding squad for this level but what they've really benefited from is having a top manager that has proven himself far too good for this level in being able to mould, unite and lift a squad that looks like a bag of Bassett's Allsorts in truth.

4 hours ago, Jourdan said:

What Wolves are doing doesn't surprise me at all. Football is often about who you know rather than what you know.

How often does a player join a club to play with former teammates or to work under a former manager? Very often. How often do agents influence where a player might be headed next? Very often.

They've taken a gamble because playing in the top divisions in Spain and Portugal is a world away from the Championship and many probably thought Wolves would have a soft centre or a divided squad or that their strategy would be unsustainable. No-one was complaining in 2016-17 when Wolves were also-rans.

What they have done is very risky but also very clever because the three or four marquee players they have brought in - Ruben Neves, Diogo Jota, Ivan Cavaleiro and Helder Costa - are not proven players looking for one final flourish but players at a good age with room to improve and players who the club can be built around. If the players adjust to Premier League football it presents the possibility of them being sold for a handsome profit. So the £40 million they have spent to procure these players could look like chicken feed if they make the step up in the Premier League.

You say that, but I think that only applies when there is one player. Considering they have Nuno as manager, and as many eight Portuguese or Spanish players in their first-team squad (plus the likes of N'Diaye, and Willy Boly,) it's for the rest of the Championship basically playing a top team from abroad.

If Derby or any other Championship team played Benfica, I'd fully expect us to get outplayed, regardless of whether we play them in England or Portugal. 

The only thing which may cause a difficulty for them is the English weather and pitch conditions, but considering the Championship is mainly full of decent grounds with top facilities, it's not really a problem for them.

The Championship gets bigged up with difficult games like playing a Mick McCarthy side away. Sure an individual like Bueno may get bullied or roughed up if he was in a mediocre side. But if you have a team with nine or ten or so top class footballers, you're going to just play them off the park, like Wolves did.

11 hours ago, Jourdan said:

With Wolves, you take out their key players and it's not an outstanding squad for this level but what they've really benefited from is having a top manager that has proven himself far too good for this level in being able to mould, unite and lift a squad that looks like a bag of Bassett's Allsorts in truth.

Hey,that Wimbledon side wasn't that bad.:p

17 hours ago, Jourdan said:

Compare that to Villa or ourselves for example - both clubs have squads full of players that are very much top Championship players or Premier League players in the twilight of their careers. In truth, very few would be earmarked as players to build a Premier League squad around moving forward. At the end of the day, we haven't got a leg to stand on with the way we have been operating in recent years - there are tens of clubs who would kill for the resources Villa and Derby have.

Where the comparison falls down is that while we've spent a lot of money (and unfortunately rather poorly) the player's we've bought have all been available to an open market.

Even bringing the whole Wasserman thing into the argument, none of the players signed would have been unavailable to other Championship clubs. If other clubs had the financial means to pay the transfer fees and wages then there would be nothing stopping them (aside from common sense) spunking £6m on Bradley Johnson.

We're an upper-mid Championship level club who have signed players of (supposed) upper-mid Championship ability . Yes we've spent more than others but it's all been (just about) within our means, and if we do break FFP we'll be punished for it.

Meanwhile, no other team in this league would have been allowed to sign the players Wolves have signed, nor would these players have even considered signing for a Championship club under any other circumstances. Wolves are buying/loaning/whatever from a closed shop, and that's why it's an issue that needs looking at.

9 hours ago, Andicis said:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-5507193/The-attacks-Wolves-vendetta-fuelled-jealousy.html

Apparently, according to a Dailymail ''journalist'' we're all just jealous of Wolves. 

I’m not sure what I make of the article,always going to be the perception.

That was my initial thought but I’m waiting till I see more evidence.

Archived