Jorge Mendes

David

The Football League has been urged by Championship clubs to investigate the influence of Jorge Mendes, the Portuguese agent, at Wolverhampton Wanderers, and a promotion rival plans to write to the authorities.

Mendes, whose clients include Jose Mourinho and Cristiano Ronaldo, has close links with Wolves and there is growing unease among clubs in the division over how far his influence extends.

The Telegraph has seen a draft letter from a rival club, which will be addressed to League chief executive, Shaun Harvey, and the Football Association, outlining those concerns and there is understood to be a growing clamour from others to launch an inquiry.

Leeds United, Aston Villa and Derby County are thought to be three of the teams who have voiced dissatisfaction in the past to the Football League.

Full Story: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2018/03/05/rivals-call-inquiry-jorge-mendes-role-wolves/

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is it actually breaking the rules with what they are doing effectively having an agent run there club if they stay within ffp ? No sarcasm genuinely asking a question. 

I don't really like what there doing but it doesn't bother me , I'd rather it be them than us because it won't be sustainable.

It's just jealousy, no more or less.

No doubt he has had influence, but isn't that his job? He was employed to act as an agent for Wolves, which you could argue he has done successfully. He's now also doing something similar for Swansea, I believe. I guess the argument is that he's influenced Wolves to sign players too good for this division. How bloody dare he?!?! 

The audacity of the three teams mentioned to claim is laughable. If it was Barnsley, Burton..etc then I'd have a little more sympathy. 

Similarly to Watford, Wolves have simply found a loophole to acquire players too good for this league.

They haven’t done anything illegal, but in terms of fairness, the Football League should prevent it from happening again.

They’ve basically employed an agent to work on behalf of a number of top youngsters across Europe to play for Wolves.

What must be intereting is how much influence he really has. Where else is the logic of say Atletico Madrid sending a €25m player to the Championship on loan? 

I know we got Bueno and Mascarell from Real Madrid, but they don’t compare in terms of talent.

Diego Jota was a regular on loan at Porto last season. Why would he drop to the Championship unless there was some other great motivation... For his development, surely Atletico should send him to Espanyol or Real Sociedad, not Wolves!

Same can be said of all their other foreign additions.

I bet if Gary Rowett phoned up Atleti asking for a €25m player they’d tell him to politely do one.

1 hour ago, Bris Vegas said:

Similarly to Watford, Wolves have simply found a loophole to acquire players too good for this league.

They haven’t done anything illegal, but in terms of fairness, the Football League should prevent it from happening again.

They’ve basically employed an agent to work on behalf of a number of top youngsters across Europe to play for Wolves.

What must be intereting is how much influence he really has. Where else is the logic of say Atletico Madrid sending a €25m player to the Championship on loan? 

I know we got Bueno and Mascarell from Real Madrid, but they don’t compare in terms of talent.

Diego Jota was a regular on loan at Porto last season. Why would he drop to the Championship unless there was some other great motivation... For his development, surely Atletico should send him to Espanyol or Real Sociedad, not Wolves!

Same can be said of all their other foreign additions.

I bet if Gary Rowett phoned up Atleti asking for a €25m player they’d tell him to politely do one.

Hit the nail on the head with this one. I'm sure the football league won't be able to do anything about it, but it doesn't stop it from being immoral and a bit unfair. Not a chance Jota goes to Wolves if it wasn't for Mendes' influence, and having one man with so much influence over a club can't be healthy.

18 minutes ago, coneheadjohn said:

Sour grapes.

Not sour grapes or jealousy at all. Can anyone tell me what the point of having rules is if they are broken or bent so much that the competition is made into an unfair one? 

I also find it really annoying that the prem have more stringent tests. So the EFL is less important and clubs can basically **** all over other clubs and it’s ok? Try telling me that at 5 o’clock on a Saturday, that DCFC are less important than Prem clubs. To me that’s not right but if it’s ok with some fans who want to dismiss it as sour grapes that’s fine. If the EFL did the same I think there may be different opinions of it. 

21 minutes ago, Ewe Ram said:

Not sour grapes or jealousy at all. Can anyone tell me what the point of having rules is if they are broken or bent so much that the competition is made into an unfair one? 

I also find it really annoying that the prem have more stringent tests. So the EFL is less important and clubs can basically **** all over other clubs and it’s ok? Try telling me that at 5 o’clock on a Saturday, that DCFC are less important than Prem clubs. To me that’s not right but if it’s ok with some fans who want to dismiss it as sour grapes that’s fine. If the EFL did the same I think there may be different opinions of it. 

I will wait for the rest of the teams in the division to complain likewise then I will review the evidence.

In the meantime I would rather we focus on ourselves.

12 minutes ago, coneheadjohn said:

I will wait for the rest of the teams in the division to complain likewise then I will review the evidence.

In the meantime I would rather we focus on ourselves.

So if the article is true and Derby are one of the clubs thought to be behind the complaint, we are aware of possible foul play we should just ignore it and get on with it?

The article does also suggest there is more of than the 3 clubs listed involved. 

I don’t see how you can call sour grapes without seeing evidence, but happy to wait for evidence before calling Wolves out.

Innocent until proven guilty for one side but not the other doesn’t seem very fair.

If they have broken the rules they should be punished, and heavily for a change

If they have not broken the rules they shouldn't be punished and whoever leaked the story should pay the penalty

If the rules are inefficient they should be changed forthwith

Just look at the parliamentary committee have done to British cycling, no rules broken but stepped over the ethical line whatever that is.  Subjective assessments are useless and are at the mercy of quangos with other agendas.

1 hour ago, David said:

So if the article is true and Derby are one of the clubs thought to be behind the complaint, we are aware of possible foul play we should just ignore it and get on with it?

The article does also suggest there is more of than the 3 clubs listed involved. 

I don’t see how you can call sour grapes without seeing evidence, but happy to wait for evidence before calling Wolves out.

Innocent until proven guilty for one side but not the other doesn’t seem very fair.

Just a case of priorities for me,

Concentrate on the football.

The problem with the rules is that even if they have broken them it is basically irrelevant because they will get promoted. We are in a crazy position where teams can massively take the piss in the transfer window and get away with it provided they get promoted. 

If they have found a way to operate within the rules and take on players of the quality they have then fair play to them.

21 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

The problem with the rules is that even if they have broken them it is basically irrelevant because they will get promoted. We are in a crazy position where teams can massively take the piss in the transfer window and get away with it provided they get promoted. 

If they have found a way to operate within the rules and take on players of the quality they have then fair play to them.

Surprised we haven't seen more of it tbh - in a way its genius, makes the club millions.. The money they are spending now will look like nothing soon.

Shouldn't all the clubs voiced their concerns at the start of the season?  It was pretty blatant what they were doing, so why not say anything then?  Could it be that they assumed the experiment would fall flat on it's face once all these exotic signings were faced with a rainy Tuesday in Barnsley?   As others have stated, smacks of jealousy, and annoyance that it's actually worked out in Wolves' favour.  Fair play for exploiting the rules.  We'd be over the moon if it was us...

30 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

Let's face it, we tried it two seasons ago when Mel barreled into the place and started spunking millions around.  But instead of bringing in the likes of Neves, Jota & Cavaleiro, we bought in The Smiling Assassin Jacob Butterfield...

Archived