Johnny Russell in the MLS

Cam the Ram

Well if he was glad when the final whistle went, it explains why he often looked to accept a pass whilst hid behind an opposing player.

I often thought he didn’t look interested a couple of seasons ago, seemed to pick up once his MLS move was in the pipeline.

I would think other players salaries maybe effected individual players attitudes after the play off defeat.

• Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can totally understand how he feels......

Change after change, the bloke decided to finally up sticks. Fair play to him..... totally shows the real reason he’s gone, fed up of how it’s gone at the club since play off final.

I think the club needs to seriously look at the way they have run themselves over the last 2/3 years...... take stock, and put in to plan a vision, a identity, above all else make Derby an attractive and positI’ve proposition to anyone signing.

We are seeing signs of stability..... with Gary being left in his post for longer than a year. That’s a start..... let’s hope whatever happens in next few weeks, be it promotion or not..... that Derby County start to reconnect with fans, what it means to be here to a player..... and show energy into making Derby successful again instead of fighting battles off the field publicly.

To coin a Trump phrase..... MDGA!!!!

1 hour ago, RamLad1884 said:

Surely if he was that unhappy two years ago he would have said/done something? These kind of stories make it difficult to be a fan sometimes. I don't think I'd be wrong in saying JR was a fans favourite, even when he struggled his effort didn't go unnoticed. Unfortunately getting stick from the fans is all part of the game, he'll get it in the US much worse if the goals dry up 

He very likely did say something: to his manager(s), not to the fans. He still worked hard as you say and played like he cared, and my respect for him actually has gone up a notch reading this.

Oh and one little aside, for those who don't know: Sporting Kansas City isn't based in Kansas. It's based in Kansas City, Missouri. The stadium is in Kansas City, Kansas. It's not one city that sprawls into two states though - it's two separate cities. I wonder if Johnny's worked this out yet.

9 hours ago, PodgeyRam said:

Let's be honest though, there's not been much to write a glowing endorsement about since McClaren was sacked the first time.

Fans all over the place criticise the way the club does things. Why shouldn't a player be able to criticise too after he's left? He's arguably better placed than any of us to do so.

Oh he is perfectly welcome to criticise the club don't get me wrong, but it doesn't mean what he says won't change my opinion of him

15 hours ago, David said:

Wasn't great reading, hopefully an interview that could put to bed the talk of him wanting to leave because of a) Rowett's tactics or b) Seeing his mates leave. 

Also we didn't replace him, true, but clearly the correct decision to let him leave. Probably should have left a couple of years ago given the way he felt.

I would love to see a new policy in place, after the final game of the season hands up who doesn't want to be here? We then try and find these players a new home. Even if it means key players leaving. 

I want to see players that want to be here, not walking off the pitch thinking that **** for that, another game over with. 

But for them to walk off the pitch thinking they are enjoying it, they need to be enojoying their football.  Players who like playing the ball on the floor are going to be the ones that want to leave, not the ones that are happy picking up a large wage packet and are quite happy siting there with little other ambition. 

It was the right call to let him go for him, not for Derby and if he had been here for 18 months unhappy then 6 more wouldn’t have made a difference, I wouldn’t be surprised if that 2 years was over egged slightly, let’s face it GR had over a year to convince him to stay, we let you go Jonny and you don’t say anything about the current manager ?

16 minutes ago, Ramitupper said:

Shocked to read this - Johnny says he hated his last 2 years at Derby and was "stabbed in the back" from within the club. Anyone got any ideas what he's referring too?

https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/johnny-russell-derby-sporting-kansas-1511003

Yeah I bet he wanted to give it up along with his pay check too.

22 minutes ago, Ramitupper said:

Shocked to read this - Johnny says he hated his last 2 years at Derby and was "stabbed in the back" from within the club. Anyone got any ideas what he's referring too?

https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/johnny-russell-derby-sporting-kansas-1511003

He's missing Chris Martin ?

3 minutes ago, Mckram said:

Don’t think he had the mentality to deal with the pressure of what was expected here.

He’s much better playing in a low quality league working on his tan. 

Johnny always gave his all, an honest hard working team player.  i for one applaud that kind of mentality in a player, but to each his own.

He was underappreciated by some fans IMO and perhaps by the club too

16 minutes ago, RiddingsRam said:

I'm a bit disappointed in Johnny Russell , whatever happened within the club , happened  we will never no. But he was a fans a favourite and he never once came out and said thanks to the fans , he was both my kids favourite player. 

5b555edf0219daf9948e2db04f52a396.png

Really tired of 'He gave it his all'. Every player should be trying their hardest and giving it their all. I am one of the few who couldn't stand him due to being a very frustrating player to watch and over rated. He is in the MLS. I lived in Toronto for years and i follow TFC who have Jozy Altidore who scores a goal every other game. As much as I love Toronto FC, the standards are very different to even the Championship.

I am glad Russell has found level he is good at but this interview annoyed me because prior to Rowett arriving, all those managers we had NEVER dropped him even when he was performing badly. So I am not sure how he fell out of love a couple of years ago. He was not a player who was banished to the reserves or treated harshly. I am just glad drama king is gone to be honest. Bracing myself for the posters in here who talk about him like he is Bale or Ronaldo

Archived