Johnny Russell in the MLS

Cam the Ram

• Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wasn't great reading, hopefully an interview that could put to bed the talk of him wanting to leave because of a) Rowett's tactics or b) Seeing his mates leave. 

Also we didn't replace him, true, but clearly the correct decision to let him leave. Probably should have left a couple of years ago given the way he felt.

I would love to see a new policy in place, after the final game of the season hands up who doesn't want to be here? We then try and find these players a new home. Even if it means key players leaving. 

I want to see players that want to be here, not walking off the pitch thinking that **** for that, another game over with. 

6 minutes ago, Zag zig said:

Bit surprised at Johnny t.b.h. A lot of fans showed him a heck of a lot of love and loyalty here as a favourite. May have fallen out with Managers but to say he never felt wanted, bit harsh on us.

I don't think he's necessarily referring to the fans although there are more than a few who sadly would've shipped him off without a second thought.

Every manager since Mac1 has tried to replace him/get rid of him. Clement bought Weimann and Blackman. Pearson bought Anya. Rowett bought Lawrence and preferred Weimann. Not surprised he would feel unloved by the hierarchy of the club.

The behind the scenes workings at the club matter more than people think. He didn't enjoy going into training. Who was taking training? The managers who were trying to replace/get rid of him.

Just now, PodgeyRam said:

I don't think he's necessarily referring to the fans although there are more than a few who sadly would've shipped him off without a second thought.

Every manager since Mac1 has tried to replace him/get rid of him. Clement bought Weimann and Blackman. Pearson bought Anya. Rowett bought Lawrence and preferred Weimann. Not surprised he would feel unloved by the hierarchy of the club.

The behind the scenes workings at the club matter more than people think. He didn't enjoy going into training. Who was taking training? The managers who were trying to replace/get rid of him.

Neither do I to be honest but it comes across a bit anti-Derby. In truth I’m sorry he sees it that way, might explain his erratic form odd times.

Still like the bloke, as clearly he’s a character in the dressing room. Also gave us some good memories, laughs at his miss hits and above all else I do hope he does well and he’s happy there. Must be hard for him as part of the what could have been team, at least this new chapter can give him more good times.

Just now, Zag zig said:

Neither do I to be honest but it comes across a bit anti-Derby. In truth I’m sorry he sees it that way, might explain his erratic form odd times.

Still like the bloke, as clearly he’s a character in the dressing room. Also gave us some good memories, laughs at his miss hits and above all else I do hope he does well and he’s happy there. Must be hard for him as part of the what could have been team, at least this new chapter can give him more good times.

The more I think about it, the more I think the way the team was managed post-McClaren is what took it out of him.

If you watch Kansas City  play, there are a lot of similarities to how Derby played under McClaren - the same obsessiveness with passing it out from the back, drawing the opposition giving the front three space to work, having a big target man who draws opposition defenders to him leaving the other attackers with room to manoeuvre etc.

Once McClaren left we went more defensive and Russell was forced into more of a classic wide midfielders role where he had to get back and defend (which he did better than any of our other wingers).

That's not what he enjoys. He used to be a striker, so why would he enjoy having to track back and tackle players on the edge of his on 18-yard box? He wouldn't. It's easy to see why he might have become disillusioned. However, he always put a shift in despite it.

I remember him being interviewed after the Hull play off and he was in tears. I think that was probably the end of that team.

Then we brought in "toughen them up" Pearson and that went well....so it became a job, a grind, he's only human. And like David said, ever since that first season, there's been replacement after replacement for him signed, and he's repeatedly proved them no better.

Again not sure if you can blame it on the style of football, wouldn't he have said that rather than.... 

“a little stabbed in the back and betrayed a little bit,”

Think this is the key line here, sounds more of an issue with the managers or even a fallout with team mates than the defensive tactics. He did sign a new contract under Clement which helps to rule that one out. 

2 years ago was under Pearson and McClaren for 85% of the season, to be fair you can't really blame anyone for wanting to quit under Pearson. 2 play off heart breaks to be heading towards League 1 be a head wobbler for any player.

Worrying really, if the most visually bothered player on the pitch had thoughts like this then what did the rest of them think?!

Could never knock JR's effort and desire. If he felt like that then fair enough but he put a shift in for the majority of his Derby County appearances. That's all we ask as fans as a minimum, he delivered. Had short comings in certain area's of his game but overall a very good servant to DCFC. 

Sad to read, always liked Johnny as most did. Not surprised though.

There will be players in a similar state at most clubs, there will have been others at Derby in the past - there are probably some at Derby now, and there will be some at Derby in the future.

Football is a job to them, and everyone works better when they're happy - but no-ones always happy where they work. 

The term "betrayed" is a bit of an embellishment; "under-appreciated" is likely a more accurate phrase.

2 hours ago, Andicis said:

My opinion of Johnny has dropped a little bit upon reading that, really not exactly a glowing endorsement of a club he spent 5 years at. 

Let's be honest though, there's not been much to write a glowing endorsement about since McClaren was sacked the first time.

Fans all over the place criticise the way the club does things. Why shouldn't a player be able to criticise too after he's left? He's arguably better placed than any of us to do so.

Seriously disappointed with this if accurate .  Players aren't in some kind of prison -  if your not happy request a transfer in the transfer window or summer . oh,  Sorry ,this would mean giving up a potential transfer signing on fee- better to keep turning out when your not interested .  Far to much of this now - perhaps we did a Ya Ya Toure on him and forgot to get him a birthday cake .

That is a sorry read. Absolutely damning criticism of the way our club has been run since the playoff final, dismantling that feel-good factor, and a little insight into the state of the squad’s attitude last few years. No wonder we’re serial bottlers when we have players feeling unappreciated that no longer want to play for the shirt. Russell won’t be the only one, I’d be willing to bet. 

Surely if he was that unhappy two years ago he would have said/done something? These kind of stories make it difficult to be a fan sometimes. I don't think I'd be wrong in saying JR was a fans favourite, even when he struggled his effort didn't go unnoticed. Unfortunately getting stick from the fans is all part of the game, he'll get it in the US much worse if the goals dry up 

Always thought JR was a decent buy but lacked coolness under pressure - never seen a player miss so many one-on-ones with the keeper. Wasn't fussed when he decided he wanted to jump ship, glad he's had a good start in the MLS but not sorry he's gone - for a poster to link our poor form since January to his departure is totally idiotic.

Archived