Johnny Russell in the MLS

Cam the Ram

Same old isn’t it, players in the team are bang average, those on the sidelines are better until they are in the team and bang average again.

When they leave they are no longer bang average and we actually miss them.

We’re like kids, always wanting the toys the other kids have, and when we get our hands on them we break them or chuck them in the corner after 5 minutes.

One day we might actually appreciate what we have, not look at highlight shows with envy as matches are edited to show the best bits, demanding signings we saw on Saturday night waltz past 4 defenders but didn’t see the 89 minutes of nothing else.

Understand the flaws our players have are because they are Championship players, the league which we are in, you repair their flaws, add some extra pace, better finishing, crossing, consistency you have turned them into a £50m signing for Guardiola.

In the summer fans thought we were getting 90 minutes of Lawrence best bits on YouTube, the must have signing, show some ambition Mel. When it turns out he’s incapable of replicating it over 90 minutes, what have you done Rowett, why have you signed him. Ipswich fans would have told you all this, but no, YouTube says he does that.

We will chase Lawrence out as well, declare him a donkey, send him to Cleethorpes beach and be ignorant to his ability which is being suffocated by a lack of confidence which a bit of fan support will help. The cup of the ear showed frustration yesterday, how sad is it our own players feel that way, he’s not the first and won’t be the last to cup his ear, show a finger as we all remain ignorant to our own failings.

• Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply
27 minutes ago, David said:

Same old isn’t it, players in the team are bang average, those on the sidelines are better until they are in the team and bang average again.

We’re like kids, always wanting the toys the other kids have, and when we get our hands on them we break them or chuck them in the corner after 5 minutes.

One day we might actually appreciate what we have, not look at highlight shows with envy as matches are edited to show the best bits, demanding signings we saw on Saturday night waltz past 4 defenders but didn’t see the 89 minutes of nothing else.

Understand the flaws our players have are because they are Championship players, the league which we are in, you repair their flaws, add some extra pace, better finishing, crossing, consistency you have turned them into a £50m signing for Guardiola.

In the summer fans thought we were getting 90 minutes of Lawrence best bits on YouTube, the must have signing, show some ambition Mel. When it turns out he’s incapable of replicating it over 90 minutes, what have you done Rowett, why have you signed him. Ipswich fans would have told you all this, but no, YouTube says he does that.

We will chase Lawrence out as well, declare him a donkey, send him to Cleethorpes beach and be ignorant to his ability which is being suffocated by a lack of confidence which a bit of fan support will help. The cup of the ear showed frustration yesterday, how sad is it our own players feel that way, he’s not the first and won’t be the last to cup his ear, show a finger as we all remain ignorant to our own failings.

No I think you’ll find Lawrence has absolutely no right to do that because he cost £14m and the keeper should’ve saved his free kick and all he did yesterday was  get fouled a few times. We can give him all the stick we want but a bit back is completely out of order and his problem not ours.

I liked JR but I feel the lamenting his absence just emphasises one of our main weaknesses - a proper winger with pace. Some fans moaned about him earlier in the season, often justified on occasions but like a lot of things in life, you don't miss it until it's gone.

Was he good enough to make the difference - doubtful, but he's not been replaced (by someone better) so our attacking threat is now less than it was.

I liked Johnny Russell but he wasn't my favourite.  However, he did well in a Derby shirt for several seasons so I will keep an eye on his progress over in the MLS and wish him well. 

I think we miss him at the moment but he's not irreplaceable.  Think his character was more important than his football at times - and we could certainly do with more of that! 

7 hours ago, Moist One said:

it's easy to say that, but if I challenged you to name 5 better in this league, you'd struggle.

I'd take any one from Snodgrass, Jota, Hoillett, Adomah, Grosicki, Sessegnon or McGeady, 

1 hour ago, angieram said:

Think his character was more important than his football at times - and we could certainly do with more of that! 

Curtis Davies and Weimann said as much on Wednesday. They said he provided a spark in the dressing room and that that hasn't been replaced, although Johnson has been trying (who was Johnny's partner in crime). 

13 minutes ago, rynny said:

Curtis Davies and Weimann said as much on Wednesday. They said he provided a spark in the dressing room and that that hasn't been replaced, although Johnson has been trying (who was Johnny's partner in crime). 

29 minutes ago, rynny said:

Interesting,  I  didn’t hear that. I would imagine Nugent is a bit of a character, too. 

11 hours ago, David said:

Or maybe he's just been rubbish for most of the season like most of our forwards?

He can cup the ear all he wants, but having seen him play this season I don't think he's been on the end of unjust criticism. Or if he has been, I am yet to see. 

Ince was someone who got unjust criticism. Richard Keogh get's unjust criticism. Tom Lawrence doesn't.

Anyway, back on topic, I don't think it's a coincidence that our downturn can be traced back to the exact moment Russell left. Whether it be his influence on the pitch or off it, he was clearly an important player for us.  

I miss his smile. 

9 hours ago, PodgeyRam said:

Or maybe he's just been rubbish for most of the season like most of our forwards?

He can cup the ear all he wants, but having seen him play this season I don't think he's been on the end of unjust criticism. Or if he has been, I am yet to see. 

Ince was someone who got unjust criticism. Richard Keogh get's unjust criticism. Tom Lawrence doesn't.

Anyway, back on topic, I don't think it's a coincidence that our downturn can be traced back to the exact moment Russell left. Whether it be his influence on the pitch or off it, he was clearly an important player for us.  

I miss his smile. 

Rubbish like most our forwards yet the 5th top scorers in the league and was praised for a good chunk of it for being clinical and effective in front of goal, has all of Vydra's goals been solo efforts?

Would have been nice to see a couple more stick a few more away themselves but rubbish? Ha.

Criticism like that which hasn't been fair all season and possibly why players are reacting to the crowd. Fair play to them, giving some back, why shouldn't they? Most of these fans giving them **** would be the first to ask for a selfie if they bumped into them in Tesco rather than tell them they are **** and leave the club.

Don't get me wrong, they could have done better this year, particularly in the second half of the season but it wasn't long ago we had the likes of Sammon, Tyson, Robinson, Maguire and co. Now they were rubbish.

Tuned in to the primetime MLS game here in the states.  SKC is on the road at LA Galaxy, and the commentators spent a solid 2 mins of airtime in the first half discussing Russell and his move.   

First of all, they made it a point to mention that Kansas City's manager Peter Vermes went out of his way to mention how respectful Derby were in the transfer process in letting him go with "minimal fuss", because Johnny "knew that he wanted wanted to go somewhere else" and knew by the winter that he wanted to go to Kansas City.

Then they were asking why MLS? and the sideline reporter chimed in that Johnny told her yesterday that it was from channel surfing late at night because he would have trouble falling asleep after games.  But she also added that coming over here and playing was always on his bucket list.

Just thought I would share!  And, of course, he scores a great goal as I was typing this--split two defenders in the box and poked it home.

2 minutes ago, TKWhy said:

Tuned in to the primetime MLS game here in the states.  SKC is on the road at LA Galaxy, and the commentators spent a solid 2 mins of airtime in the first half discussing Russell and his move.   

First of all, they made it a point to mention that Kansas City's manager Peter Vermes went out of his way to mention how respectful Derby were in the transfer process in letting him go with "minimal fuss", because Johnny "knew that he wanted wanted to go somewhere else" and knew by the winter that he wanted to go to Kansas City.

Then they were asking why MLS? and the sideline reporter chimed in that Johnny told her yesterday that it was from channel surfing late at night because he would have trouble falling asleep after games.  But she also added that coming over here and playing was always on his bucket list.

Just thought I would share!  And, of course, he scores a great goal as I was typing this--split two defenders in the box and poked it home.

It still hurts :(

Archived