We won't finish in the top 2

Sexydadbod

I've said this for a while that our form earlier on in the season was not sustainable. People will say that there are many games left but we simply aren't good enough to get promoted automatically as there are too many flaws in the team. I think that us as fans, the players and the manager should be preparing mentally for the play offs.

Do I see this as a bad thing? Not necessarily. I think it's better for us to slowly accept that we will not finish in the top 2 now so we can experiment with players and the formation to help us to be in the best shape mentally and physically for the play offs and so none of us feel as upset when we experience games like today. For me, it's all about getting the players into the best form as possible for the play offs. This worked effectively for Huddersfield last season as they could rest players in the league campaign knowing that they would not finish top 2 and guess what, they got promoted via the play offs. 

This may seem pessimistic but I think a sense of realism is needed in this moment. I'd rather us get used to the fact that we are destined for the play offs than losing out on automatic promotion on the final day like Brighton did a few years ago which killed them for the play offs.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Derby blood said:

The football genius that is Mclovin has spoken lol, he only posts if there is something negative to say. He loves proving Mr Rowett wrong, maybe Mel will employ Mclovin as the next boss lol, he has all the answers?

Did you read any of the post?

8 minutes ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

How can it fail?

Ha!

In fairness it's an 'I told you so'.

You can replace all those names with the current bunch. 

My point is purely that not quite being good enough doesn't have to mean everyone needs the firing squad.

Maybe the lessons of the past should teach us to just try again? I know, I'm a dreamer. But maybe if at first you don't succeed you should try again? 

(Wait for the Einstein misquote...)

Just now, Alpha said:

Ha!

In fairness it's an 'I told you so'.

You can replace all those names with the current bunch. 

My point is purely that not quite being good enough doesn't have to mean everyone needs the firing squad.

Maybe the lessons of the past should teach us to just try again? I know, I'm a dreamer. But maybe if at first you don't succeed you should try again? 

(Wait for the Einstein misquote...)

Einstein said that the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.

Just now, Cam the Ram said:

Biggest issue for me is the lack of a top striker. We need them to either score the big chunk of goals to get us up or be a key part of our play. We can't have game after game of the striker barely touching the ball, especially if he doesn't contribute many goals either

We're gonna have to put Vydra up there and leave Kasey at #10. Could be magical.

Table still looks good. Still well in the hunt for second. A good win against Fulham will give us a nice cushion. 

2 hours ago, Parsnip said:

We're gonna have to put Vydra up there and leave Kasey at #10. Could be magical.

Table still looks good. Still well in the hunt for second. A good win against Fulham will give us a nice cushion. 

A good win against Fulham - ha ha dream on!

2 hours ago, McLovin said:

Well I didn’t see you making this post Mr smartypants!

Don't bother biting. They haven't read your post. Too busy being defensive on their mission for cheap internet points.

I think you made some very valid points.

Experimenting for me would include playing only one CDM at home. We draw too many at home. It isnt the draws away from home that has cost us so far.

Archived