Stadium atmosphere

RiddingsRam

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 20/02/2018 at 08:30, rcarso1 said:

.Nothing but nothing will ever beat the atmosphere at the BBG ,though,and a lot of it was to do with the proximity of supporters to the pitch.We all seem set further back now,sadly.

Probably true, but I distinctly remember hearing Hugh Johns commentating at one particular match, and him saying that the atmosphere was "rather like a cricket match, quiet, with occasional polite applause."

The BBG wasn't always a cauldron of sound and fury.

3 hours ago, SaintRam said:

I'm not sure how much the argument of 'the football needs to be good' holds up. There's definitely a little truth to it, but looking everywhere; not just Derby, and it's apparent that's not the extent of it.

Plenty of stadiums that were described as some of the 'best atmosphere' or 'loudest' in the country were playing host to unappealing styles of play.

Equally, there are countless teams playing great football in stadiums that only make a sound when a goal is scored.

Atmosphere or the lack of it seems to be more ingrained in the culture of a club rather than being based on the football, I don't think Derby's a worst offender but the only atmosphere that gets generated at Pride Park are during big games like the Playoffs and Forest games. We're a 'make noise for important games' crowd. 

Sure, I'm of the age where Derby's never been particularly good in my lifetime but in seasons often reminisced about as being the best of recent times the memory of the atmosphere is exaggerated somewhat. 

If we play a league game at home this season that gets us over the promotion line, or we play in the playoffs without completing falling apart like against Hull, the atmosphere would miraculously improve for those games - regardless of the style of play.

Spot on.

I have enough memories of football, and have seen enough football in other leagues, and other countries to help refresh my memory.

The quality has nothing to do with it what so ever.

Other things which dont help are seats behind the goal, and having a new stadium.

Every time a club goes to a new stadium the atmosphere deteriates rapidly. God knows what would happen at Liverpool and its infamous european nights with no kop, and no anfield.  Goodison likewise.  Will probably go the same way as the London statium and the emirates... soleless places wheres everyones so depressed about the whole situation they just moan, moan, and moan somemore

As all parents will understand, true enthusiasm is just literally wanting your team to win whether they are good or bad. In the past I watched my sons play schoolboy football with as much enthusiasm if not more than I have watching Derby. Were they particularly good..........no.........They were just trying to win and I was willing them to do so. I was going in for every tackle with them, making every pass with them & taking every shot with them. It didn't matter if they failed because they were my lads. Over the years Derby County have been and are "my lads".  If we the Derby County fans are collectively with the team, no doubt about it the effect can be dramatic.

5 hours ago, Anag Ram said:

A large number of Derby fans have supported the club through thick and thin for fifty or more years.

We shouldn't be surprised if they refuse to shout, scream and bounce up and down upon instruction.

But they will be the first to complain about the lack of atmosphere and moan about how poor it is compared to the BBG.

My first game was 49 years ago and nobody needs to tell me when to sing.

9 minutes ago, Abu Derby said:

Tonight we need to display our black and white flanges like never before. 

I say!! I'm not displaying my flange :D

On a serious note. I would have been at that Leeds game back in 1972 at the BBG, generally the atmosphere at the BBG was very good but we did have quiet days as well

3 hours ago, Grimbeard said:

Probably true, but I distinctly remember hearing Hugh Johns commentating at one particular match, and him saying that the atmosphere was "rather like a cricket match, quiet, with occasional polite applause."

The BBG wasn't always a cauldron of sound and fury.

You weren’t at the game then?!??

I think the tribalism has largely gone from football. As others have said, it’s become a televised entertainment spectacle rather than a gladiatorial contest between communities.

Add to that the changes in pricing, seating, fan demographic, drinking and the contrived, artificial buildup and we’re probably lucky to get any atmosphere at all. 

Derby fans are too obsessed with Forest than supporting the team. Many would rather Forest get relegated than Derby get promoted. Until we remove this inferiority complex then we will never progress. Forest will always be the bigger club, so what? They have won 2 European cups, we will never win one in our lifetimes. Who cares? 

10 minutes ago, McLovin said:

Awful support. Leeds fans showed what supporting a BIG club should be like.

8 minutes ago, McLovin said:

Derby fans are too obsessed with Forest than supporting the team. Many would rather Forest get relegated than Derby get promoted. Until we remove this inferiority complex then we will never progress. Forest will always be the bigger club, so what? They have won 2 European cups, we will never win one in our lifetimes. Who cares? 

These posts are in clear breach of the terms and conditions of forum membership.

'You may not post content inciting hatred against an individual or group'. 

Surely we can ban @McLovin for inciting hatred, even if it's against himself?

27 minutes ago, niram said:

Our support is ******* ****

We were praised and rightly so for our non stop singing in THAT season, especially the away fans but we are still living off that period. There is not a lot we can do though. The 1884 team deserve a lot of credit for trying to help the atmosphere but it is all for nothing because our support is rubbish. The supporters are more concerned about Forest than our own team. Now that is an inferiority complex. We are talk about them far more than they talk about us.

I thought the support was pretty decent tonight, especially in the first half. Went a bit in the second half (as did the football) and when they scored their second but aside from that, when the players were attacking the fans were behind them.

Archived