Stadium atmosphere

RiddingsRam

1 minute ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

But how much did they increase on his return?

And for years after.

Numbers shouldn't be dropping given our league position or indeed the atmosphere.

Again Kash, we're told the numbers have not been accurate in recent seasons, how can we discuss the number drop when we have no idea what the numbers were.

Atmosphere, put my thoughts across why I think it is, we're now in our 4th season of holding genuine promotion hopes. I think we're seeing a nervousness and expectation of failure which is having a negative impact. Few more results, build the gap and I'm sure Pride Park will start to rock as we have less opportunities to "bottle it".

Can guarantee the stadium will be bouncing if we go up, with Rowett's football. 

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, JoeDerby said:

Leeds fans got there team the draw yesterday. 2-0 down in the 65th minute, fans jumping up and down, singing and swinging their scarves. Leeds were dead and buried until that moment the fans decided for whatever reasobn to get behind their team. 

I think stadium atmosphere is a massive factor in football..it's just how the hell do you get the fans behind you when things aren't going your way?

I remember being 3-0 down at Peterborough and the Derby fans being amazing that day and it couldn't of got much worse that day!?!?

Confused.

There is no doubt that when the chips are down, the fans can have an influence on a team.

If you start shouting them down when they are behind/not playing well, it is human nature for the shoulders to slump.

My best man is a Leeds supporter and he always says that their fans never let the team down and when I have been with him I have to admire the noise they make.

A few points from me.

The 1884 Group hasn't really done much this season, after 2 or 3 years of trying really hard to get something going. I still look back on the displays we did with a huge amount of pride and, regardless of what the vocal minority thought, I think it helped create a bit of spectacle and tended to get people involved in the match, rather than just watching it.

There are various reasons why we haven't kept it going this year - I have other commitments, as does another of the group, then it's a mixture of the sort of stuff that affects us all - life gets in the way. The other side of that is the feedback @David referred to. It's easy to say ignore it, but when it's something you're doing in your free time to try and support your club only to get some pretty awful abuse, it's not exactly encouraging to keep at it.

All the flags and banners in the world can only do so much - as a pre-match thing, it's brilliant and I stand by all of the displays we did. However, during the match, unless you can get a dedicated area for singing supporters, I'm not sure how best to change things. Safe standing, definitely, reorganising the South Stand, definitely, but those things take huge organisation and a massive backbone from DCFC. 

I'm really pleased to see another group of people looking to continue what we did (and may do in the future) and I really hope they are able to make a lasting impact. Nothing better for me than going to Pride Park on a matchday when the atmosphere is electric.

Best thing DCFC could do right now is turn the bloody PA down before kick off to let fans start singing. Poor old Adam is trying to drum but nobody can hear it underneath the music!

Lastly, it's a personal view but I believe we all have a responsibility as Derby fans to be SUPPORTERS. Whether that's planning or waving flags, chanting, clapping or just shouting encouragement, there are at least 25,000 of us there every game. It's no use looking at the person to your left or right to make an atmosphere, it's up to you, so get involved however you can and SUPPORT YOUR EFFING FOOTBALL TEAM.

1 hour ago, David said:

Again Kash, we're told the numbers have not been accurate in recent seasons, how can we discuss the number drop when we have no idea what the numbers were.

Atmosphere, put my thoughts across why I think it is, we're now in our 4th season of holding genuine promotion hopes. I think we're seeing a nervousness and expectation of failure which is having a negative impact. Few more results, build the gap and I'm sure Pride Park will start to rock as we have less opportunities to "bottle it".

Can guarantee the stadium will be bouncing if we go up, with Rowett's football. 

Who has said that the numbers aren’t accurate and why andby how much..?

I sit in North Stand and there are four people who clap and sing around me. Three are female @rcarso1  :lol: and the other is a kid who I can't actually see but who makes a lot of noise! 

Other than that quite a few people join in with Steve Bloomer and Since I was young and Dale Cavese.  Anything else, nothing. 

I see the new group are suggesting another song mentioning Forest are ***** - that stuff is so boring and you won't get people joining in that from the other stands at home. Sing about how good we are not about other clubs - never heard Leeds singing about other clubs. We're borderline obsessive and I strongly dislike it. 

The other thing I think could be improved is to have a few singers grouped together in each stand. We used to have a contingent up in North West corner and they got the rest of us going. I presume they've relocated to South Stand as I never hear them now. Shame. 

Finally, mobile phones! I sit in front of a group of young men - never make a murmur other than to tell their dad Man City or Chelsea have scored. Are they supporters? I am not sure and I would love to know how many goals they missed this season because they are checking the scores.

1 hour ago, TomBustler1884 said:

A few points from me.

The 1884 Group hasn't really done much this season, after 2 or 3 years of trying really hard to get something going. I still look back on the displays we did with a huge amount of pride and, regardless of what the vocal minority thought, I think it helped create a bit of spectacle and tended to get people involved in the match, rather than just watching it.

There are various reasons why we haven't kept it going this year - I have other commitments, as does another of the group, then it's a mixture of the sort of stuff that affects us all - life gets in the way. The other side of that is the feedback @David referred to. It's easy to say ignore it, but when it's something you're doing in your free time to try and support your club only to get some pretty awful abuse, it's not exactly encouraging to keep at it.

All the flags and banners in the world can only do so much - as a pre-match thing, it's brilliant and I stand by all of the displays we did. However, during the match, unless you can get a dedicated area for singing supporters, I'm not sure how best to change things. Safe standing, definitely, reorganising the South Stand, definitely, but those things take huge organisation and a massive backbone from DCFC. 

I'm really pleased to see another group of people looking to continue what we did (and may do in the future) and I really hope they are able to make a lasting impact. Nothing better for me than going to Pride Park on a matchday when the atmosphere is electric.

Best thing DCFC could do right now is turn the bloody PA down before kick off to let fans start singing. Poor old Adam is trying to drum but nobody can hear it underneath the music!

Lastly, it's a personal view but I believe we all have a responsibility as Derby fans to be SUPPORTERS. Whether that's planning or waving flags, chanting, clapping or just shouting encouragement, there are at least 25,000 of us there every game. It's no use looking at the person to your left or right to make an atmosphere, it's up to you, so get involved however you can and SUPPORT YOUR EFFING FOOTBALL TEAM.

It's a shame the 1884 Group haven't done much this season and a far bigger shame that anyone (other fans from other clubs? /pretending to be Derby fans or folk I just wouldn't call Derby fans) are actually abusing such a wonderful group of hard working fans that have created and displayed some absolute amazing displays in such a positive manner.

I personally hope the 1884 Group have still got plenty to offer and stay bigger than those trying to drag it down.

Up The Rams.

Up The 1884 Group.

D.C.F.C Love, Life & Unity.

32 minutes ago, angieram said:

I sit in North Stand and there are four people who clap and sing around me. Three are female @rcarso1  :lol: and the other is a kid who I can't actually see but who makes a lot of noise! 

Other than that quite a few people join in with Steve Bloomer and Since I was young and Dale Cavese.  Anything else, nothing. 

I see the new group are suggesting another song mentioning Forest are ***** - that stuff is so boring and you won't get people joining in that from the other stands at home. Sing about how good we are not about other clubs - never heard Leeds singing about other clubs. We're borderline obsessive and I strongly dislike it. 

The other thing I think could be improved is to have a few singers grouped together in each stand. We used to have a contingent up in North West corner and they got the rest of us going. I presume they've relocated to South Stand as I never hear them now. Shame. 

Finally, mobile phones! I sit in front of a group of young men - never make a murmur other than to tell their dad Man City or Chelsea have scored. Are they supporters? I am not sure and I would love to know how many goals they missed this season because they are checking the scores.

I’ve also got some of the mobile phone brigade around me @angieram and they do my head in! More time on them than watching the game!?

54 minutes ago, Papahet said:

Do we need more flags? How are they helping with creating "noise". Clappers are the way to go, works a treat at Leicester. The one thing the entire stadium can be involved with.

to be honest I find the clappers at Norwich and Leicester a bit tedious......bit strange and not for football - so I'm out on that one

Stadium atmospheres as we old ones knew it are a thing of the past. The people watching are a lot more family orientated and well behaved. Thank goodness the hooligan element are virtually no more. Of course no standing (the dreaded all seater stadium) has killed it all the most. I think the only ways to get some of the atmosphere back ....a, cut the price of food and drink to an acceptable level to get people in the ground earlier...in the 70`s I was standing (just lol) on the ossie end at1.30pm and the atmosphere was already crackling. B, Time for the powers that be to again allow a small section of terracing (safe standing) C, make the football entertaining again. No shots on target in an entire match is not uncommon lol Alan hinton  could cross a ball that weighed a ton more accurately than any of our current lot who wear slippers to kick a very light bag of wind.

I'm at back of South Stand near SW corner.  Singing starts at the other side of the South Stand and a few of us join in fairly early to try and expand it into our side.  Doesn't always work though.  What would improve things...

No pensioner or kid discount season tickets in South Stand.     

Be prepared to join in, even if you feel a fool - it's amazing how a handful of folks joining in can get others around them involved.  I wonder if everybody is waiting for somebody else to join in.  Sometimes we're too darned English.

Call out the moaners/abusers if safe to do so.  I'm right near the back so I can shout out to those 4 or 5 rows in front of me - one guy kept calling Ince a lazy c-word last season - I shouted "give the lad some encouragement" and he shut up.  I was only brave cos' he was quite a few rows in front so wouldn't know who had said this - for all he knew I could have been a hard-nut (instead of the shandy-drinking 10-stone southerner that I really am). 

Plus, of course, the abusers are cowards aren't they?  Tell BJ to his face that he can't pass?  No chance.  Shout it out from the safety of a crowd?  Yeah, sure.

3 hours ago, rcarso1 said:

Everyone’s got opinions on lack of atmosphere at stadiums and a lot are valid.I can remember a time when you’d come home hoarse from shouting and sore hands from clapping.All seating stadia, and I’m not criticising them,have definitely contributed to what I call more of a “theatrical” experience at grounds these days.Another factor is that more and more women go to games now,once again not a problem,but they don’t tend to go as “crazy” as menfolk and those males accompanied by ladies tend to be a bit more subdued.Mind you,some of the football this season ,albeit successful,is enough to subdue the most vocal amongst us ! There’s been a few games where my coffee and mars bar have been the game’s highlight!!

2vbnerr.jpg&key=aedb8ba5ed5435d38f4905bf

I wouldn’t be so sure.

38 minutes ago, jimbobram said:

Clappers? Get out

How does a flag of Jim Smith improve the atmosphere then? Whats so bad about letting kiddies in north stand have them, a drum or something to get that end of the ground going?

If anything i'd say the "bounce" is more cringe than clappers.

5 hours ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

Lots of good points david and fair enough,but my experience of the stadium this year, is that many fans have been moaning about the football on the pitch throughout the season,not just as we entered the post Christmas traditional slumpy section.

Haven't seen that in the past three seasons prior to this one.

Whether that's fair of the fans to react to the football in that way is another question but many go to be entertained by what they see on the pitch and a lot are not.

I'm going tomorrow.....and I love the atmosphere at night games so I'm hoping the crowd will pick up when we win!

people will always find something to have a moan about doesn't matter who's in charge or how we are doing ,if winning 3-0 they want to no why it wasn't 5-0 it's just human nature ,the atmosphere is no different to how it's always been at pp ,it's a question of who you are playing ie we don't need to tell everyone to support or ramp up the noise when playing forest or leeds it's the same everywhere 

Tough read this thread, especially living in Leeds. Believe it or not, their support can also be quiet! It’s their reputation that proceeds them. 

Having an iconic song helps, I guess, and a few others that can just be carried on and on by 50 odd people until everyone else joins in again. Don’t think we have anything similar. 

I have to agree that their is a general apathy in the home stands at Pride Park. A disbelief that success can be achieved after past failings maybe.

On a positive note, when all the stands do get behind the team, the noise in PP is as good as anywhere else in the division. I am reminded of a tweet from a Forest fan last season...”I know they won but the whole place was ****ing shaking”... 

Archived