Outside Derby / Derbyshire Connections & Reminders

Inverurie Ram

Wherever I go, out with Derby / Derbyshire, be it around the world on holiday's or mainly everyday in my life I usually spot something like a number plate DBY or something on a sign or on a lorry or a in a shop window or something in a shop or whatever, that makes me think of Derby.

I presume this thread has been done before, if not. I'll start this thread off with a sign in Fort Augustus I saw last weekend.

dm7bqb.jpg

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, Boycie said:

I’m sat at work in Nuneaton, reading ******** dcfcfans too!

How are the Bedworth slag heaps? Especially the one known as the Nuneaton Nipple. ;)

• 4 weeks later...

I went to see Ed Byrne on his Spoiler Alert tour 2018 last night at the Aberdeen Tivoli, Wed 14th March and Ed spoke a lot about Derbyshire as his in laws live there. He talked about walking in the Derbyshire Dales, playing Buxton and how he's due to play the Derby Arena, the biggest venue of the whole tour, sold about 700 tickets so far etc. Whereas all the other gigs are small venues, like the Tivoli at about 400. Anyway I enjoyed the show and won't spoil it for you, if you are going. He also talked about doing a pre recorded radio show for Radio Derby that is pretending to be a live show this Friday, where he's asked so how have recent shows gone, like you were in Aberdeen earlier this week for two nights, so how did that go......yeah it went really well, he says....

https://www.derbylive.co.uk/whats-on/ed-byrne-spoiler-alert/

• 2 weeks later...

When I was 22... 17 years ago(wtf!?)... I drove a 60's landrover through Queensland. In the absolute middle of nowhere - outback country - a Dutch Christian backpacker convinced me to drive her to a church one Sunday morning which is something I'd never normally do. There were no more than 6 people in this old wooden church. At the end of the service a 100 year old woman made a bee line for me and asked where I was from. I said England. She said yes but where? I said Derbyshire. She said yes but where? I said 'erm... riddings?'. She said 'i know riddings! I'm from heanor!'. She went on to say that she hadn't left Australia in 80 years but immediately recognised my accent. I felt God touch my heart that day. 

On 30/03/2018 at 15:37, Parsnip said:

When I was 22... 17 years ago(wtf!?)... I drove a 60's landrover through Queensland. In the absolute middle of nowhere - outback country - a Dutch Christian backpacker convinced me to drive her to a church one Sunday morning which is something I'd never normally do. There were no more than 6 people in this old wooden church. At the end of the service a 100 year old woman made a bee line for me and asked where I was from. I said England. She said yes but where? I said Derbyshire. She said yes but where? I said 'erm... riddings?'. She said 'i know riddings! I'm from heanor!'. She went on to say that she hadn't left Australia in 80 years but immediately recognised my accent. I felt God touch my heart that day. 

Magnificent. Inverurieram, let’s get that bottlers’ bus festooned and head us on down the highway. Everybody loves a TV show. 

• 5 months later...

Archived