Television

McRainy

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, David said:

I hope you're not about to start bashing computers, without those this forum wouldn't exist to serve your entertainment needs

Not bashing them at all, I just don’t feel the need to own one. 

TV though, as someone once said, is like having an open sewer running through your house. 

3 minutes ago, Lambchop said:

Not bashing them at all, I just don’t feel the need to own one. 

TV though, as someone once said, is like having an open sewer running through your house. 

That someone was watching too much Big Brother and X Factor, other shows are available 

8 minutes ago, David said:

That someone was watching too much Big Brother and X Factor, other shows are available 

I’m sure there’s some good stuff, but it’s not something I want in my house, personally. There are other things I’d rather be doing and I actually like peace and quiet. The way some people have it on hour after hour drives me mad. 

2 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

It’s like the dark ages- you live in Nottingham by any chance?:ph34r:

There’s nothing particularly enlightened about passively imbibing low level entertainment. It’s just a means of keeping you anaesthetised. 

1 minute ago, David said:

@Lambchop I've split these posts from @Paul71 topic so not to annoy the Trekkies by derailing their topic, I can see this going for a few pages especially when Stringer gets up.

Good idea, after all the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few :)

Yes, soz, it was going off topic and I’d be glad to see other people’s opinions on it. 

I usually get regarded as some kind of freakish luddite for not having a telly, but I haven’t had one since 1983 and I definitely think life is better without it. 

The only things I really want to watch are football, which I prefer to watch in the pub, and Game of Thrones, which I watch with friends. 

I agree.  I have a TV, but probably watch about an hour a day at most and that includes 15 minutes where it's just the news in the background whilst having breakfast - could easily replace that with music or silence.

The only things I've watched live other than the news in the last year are football matches that are on terrestrial, about an hour of the Winter Olympics and a few old episodes of the Simpsons. All of which I could have watched online for free without paying the TV Tax.

Netflix, on the other hand, gets at least an hour a day.

Probably won't bother paying the licence fee next year.

21 minutes ago, JoetheRam said:

I agree.  I have a TV, but probably watch about an hour a day at most and that includes 15 minutes where it's just the news in the background whilst having breakfast - could easily replace that with music or silence.

The only things I've watched live other than the news in the last year are football matches that are on terrestrial, about an hour of the Winter Olympics and a few old episodes of the Simpsons. All of which I could have watched online for free without paying the TV Tax.

Netflix, on the other hand, gets at least an hour a day.

Probably won't bother paying the licence fee next year.

Pretty sure they’ve incorporated accessing the web into the television licence Joe, something I vehemently disagree with by the way. 

Is it illegal to watch or record TV on a laptop, computer, mobile phone or any other device without a TV Licence?

If you use a laptop (or any other device) to watch or record television programmes as they are being shown on TV or live on an online TV service, or to download or watch BBC programmes on demand, including catch up TV, on BBC iPlayer, then, by law, you need to be covered by a TV Licence.

55 minutes ago, Lambchop said:

I’m sure there’s some good stuff, but it’s not something I want in my house, personally. There are other things I’d rather be doing and I actually like peace and quiet. The way some people have it on hour after hour drives me mad. 

I bet you spend 10 hours a day on Candy Crush!

When I cast my mind back to what I've watched on TV this week, it's not actually that much.

Sky Sports News on mute when Derby played to see the goals go in.

Dragons Den on iPlayer

Winter Olympics

Couple of episodes of Homeland on Netflix.

When I do watch TV I'm not "anaesthetised", in fact I'm most likely alert flicking through the forum making sure you lot are behaving.

I'm in the house all day as well, the TV never goes on until after 6 and that's as the missus is home. 

Archived