What going wrong lately

B4ev6is

This is a fairly basic assessment of what’s gone wrong well we have missed some real sitters ! 

Yes this season we have scored some lovely goals but 

Vydra 18 goals has missed a stack of fairly easy chances

nugent 6 goals has also missed far to many easy chances 

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

This is a fairly basic assessment of what’s gone wrong well we have missed some real sitters ! 

Yes this season we have scored some lovely goals but 

Vydra 18 goals has missed a stack of fairly easy chances

nugent 6 goals has also missed far to many easy chances 

Don’t forget Martin’s one at Sunderland some lambasted him for :ph34r:

Think it’s also worth considering the amount of chances others have missed against us, we certainly rode our luck in home games in that Nov/Dec, its swings and roundabouts I guess. But  in general, yes they have missed chances and the Vydra/Nugent ‘partnership ‘ isn’t quite the well oiled machine people like to think it is 

23 minutes ago, TuffLuff said:

Don’t forget Martin’s one at Sunderland some lambasted him for :ph34r:

Think it’s also worth considering the amount of chances others have missed against us, we certainly rode our luck in home games in that Nov/Dec, its swings and roundabouts I guess. But  in general, yes they have missed chances and the Vydra/Nugent ‘partnership ‘ isn’t quite the well oiled machine people like to think it is 

To be fair to the front players if you don't  give them the ammo then it's always going to be difficult ,we just don't create enough from the middle,it says it all when Keogh (bless him) is the only one other than the front players who is prepared to take the game by the scruff of the neck and try to make something happen.

Just now, Seaside Sam said:

To be fair to the front players if you don't  give them the ammo then it's always going to be difficult ,we just don't create enough from the middle,it says it all when Keogh (bless him) is the only one other than the front players who is prepared to take the game by the scruff of the neck and try to make something happen.

This is true, are we creating as much as we were a couple of months ago? It’s all a little six of one, half a dozen of the other I think. With the two DM’s it’s hard to say how much they can create, especially given how other teams are putting more players in the middle of the park which means less time on the ball. So does it then get put on Vydra who’s arguably gone back to his ‘I’ll play as a striker rather than a no.10’ role. The goals are great but his overall team contribution over 90 minutes is minimal, which is why I’ve hinted that it’s similsr to the situation we had with Ince (we’ve kinda replaced like for like which wasn’t what was really needed).

Anyway, there’s a load of ways o LG looking at it and I don’t think any are particularly wrong 

1 hour ago, Inglorius said:

The law of averages has no influence on future actions as you quite rightly allude to, it has no memory. If the number 1 was drawn out in this week's National Lottery then there would be an equal chance of this same number being drawn out the following week in relation to all of the other numbers - just because it was drawn the previous week has no bearing whatsoever to future events. 

If we have a dismal record in winning playoffs we have entered this has no bearing to our future performances in play offs as you quite rightly state. 

Made me smile against Qpr with irony at the banter of it when we took the lead. Derby fans sing,  'e i  e i  e i  o,  up the football league we go ',

Qpr fans respond... 'you'll only lose in the play offs, again.. only lose in the play offs etc  '

3 hours ago, PrivateDerby said:

Still feeling quietly confident we'll get 2nd place, all this moaning and groaning... we've got a decent squad. 

Good few days now for Gaz to sort 'em out so let's get it together, kick Leeds whilst they're down and start again. 

Get Vydz flying at em, Nuge tapping em in, Big Jez and Kasey coming on to finish em off and we'll be alright B4.

KTF & UTR

This .....thread should be renamed What's going RIGHT lately. If we only had 30,000 Rams fans that were confident and positive like PrivateDerby, then the thread would have to be renamed again to What's going RIGHT all the time.

ONC & KLF

Curious title for a thread, almost hysterical in nature.  A more balanced discussion would be analysing what other teams are doing better than us, why other teams are better equipped, have more experienced managers us, then accepting that there are better teams than Derby in the division.

You may not get the job after 3 rounds of interviewing not because you particularly did anything wrong but because you were competing against better placed, more experienced, better qualified candidates. 

5 hours ago, RamNut said:

On another thread someone said that we've got to the playoffs 6 times and have only won it once, and therefore According to the law of averages we are more likely to win if we get there again.

when i did statistics i was told that if you toss a coin 6 times and it comes up heads 5 times that this past history has no bearing as to whether it comes up heads again next time.

then again, i usually ended up staring out of the window in maths. 

Spot on. A coin {assuming you use the same one} doesn't have a memory so all events are unconnected. Gives lie to the betting expert pronouncements like "Derby haven't won at Brentford in 75 years"; statistically it's meaningless and has no bearing on the likely result of the game. 

1 hour ago, Ellafella said:

Spot on. A coin {assuming you use the same one} doesn't have a memory so all events are unconnected. Gives lie to the betting expert pronouncements like "Derby haven't won at Brentford in 75 years"; statistically it's meaningless and has no bearing on the likely result of the game. 

Sorry but have to disagree a little here. A coin has no emotion, thus will happily land head or tails with equal regularity. However footballers, managers and fans have emotions, superstitions and memories. If you have continually lost at a particular ground, especially if it’s with the majority of your current squad. This, I believe does have an effect on the psyches of all involved. Their fans and players are buoyed, whilst ours are subdued and subconsciously, expect defeat again. Mind games play a significant role in the outcome of some football games 

1 hour ago, Doodle said:

Sorry but have to disagree a little here. A coin has no emotion, thus will happily land head or tails with equal regularity. However footballers, managers and fans have emotions, superstitions and memories. If you have continually lost at a particular ground, especially if it’s with the majority of your current squad. This, I believe does have an effect on the psyches of all involved. Their fans and players are buoyed, whilst ours are subdued and subconsciously, expect defeat again. Mind games play a significant role in the outcome of some football games 

Bit of a non sequitur, Sir @Doodle, if you don't mind me saying. :mellow:

What’s gone wrong? We had a poor start to the season ,we had a fantastic run and now we have had a few draws and a loss ,,

we sit in third place behind the two clubs who have spent big and have better players/squads in the main so it’s hard to see the point of this thread unless you think we have the best team and squad in the division and that having the best team and squad in the division makes you totally immune from ever drawing or losing games ,,, it’s over a season ,if we finish in playoffs we have not done bad at all, if we get an auto spot we have done very well indeed

8 minutes ago, archied said:

What’s gone wrong? We had a poor start to the season ,we had a fantastic run and now we have had a few draws and a loss ,,

we sit in third place behind the two clubs who have spent big and have better players/squads in the main so it’s hard to see the point of this thread unless you think we have the best team and squad in the division and that having the best team and squad in the division makes you totally immune from ever drawing or losing games ,,, it’s over a season ,if we finish in playoffs we have not done bad at all, if we get an auto spot we have done very well indeed

That’s a very reasoned post that’s left me scratching my head as to why I can’t share the optimism of many on here archied.

I must admit that up until a few games ago (three or four) Rowett was beginning to change my opinion of him a bit but now I’m wondering if, 11 months into his tenure, he knows his preferred team. Also, I’m slightly alarmed at the sluggish starts to games we’ve recently experienced, what are his motivational skills like ? Is he filling the lads with trepidation before they go out ? Are they confused ?

The lack of cohesion at times I struggle to understand after they have spent all week training and preparing for a particular opposition. I feel his strategy for halting the poor start and the subsequent run we went on after Bristol away is commendable but it seems to be his only tactic, he’s a one trick pony if you like, I can’t help feeling if he hadn’t been so rigid with his style and introduced a slightly more adventurous side to our play, we may not have been caught by Villa quite as quickly. 

21 minutes ago, Pearl Ram said:

That’s a very reasoned post that’s left me scratching my head as to why I can’t share the optimism of many on here archied.

I must admit that up until a few games ago (three or four) Rowett was beginning to change my opinion of him a bit but now I’m wondering if, 11 months into his tenure, he knows his preferred team. Also, I’m slightly alarmed at the sluggish starts to games we’ve recently experienced, what are his motivational skills like ? Is he filling the lads with trepidation before they go out ? Are they confused ?

The lack of cohesion at times I struggle to understand after they have spent all week training and preparing for a particular opposition. I feel his strategy for halting the poor start and the subsequent run we went on after Bristol away is commendable but it seems to be his only tactic, he’s a one trick pony if you like, I can’t help feeling if he hadn’t been so rigid with his style and introduced a slightly more adventurous side to our play, we may not have been caught by Villa quite as quickly. 

I tend to agree and think further evidence of lack of adventure is how late the subs are made, again on Tuesday we could have done with a boost at half time, certainly earlier than the 70 min mark....... Not saying the subs actually made a difference on Tuesday, but why leave so damn late?

4 hours ago, Boycie said:

I blame the warm weather training, every time Mel treats them it seems to go pear shaped.

Send them cold weather training next time.

We can do that pre-season and start off with a flyer! Usually we have a pretty poor start, so sounds like an idea to me.

2 hours ago, Pearl Ram said:

I don’t think rowett has his team yet and I’m not so sure we are often realistic in terms of all this one trick pony or plan b stuff ,, look at the top coaches/ managers ,, they all have their style and tend to work on the theory of getting the right players that can impose that style on the opposition regularly enough to bring success ,yes they will tweak but in the main they don’t make big changes in formation and style from game to game ,

mac was exactly the same ,he had his style but just like rowett or any manager they are at the mercy of injuries and form of players, now I’m pretty sure I’m seen as a rowett lover blind to any mistakes or faults but I can assure you derby county are my priority and I’ve watched enough football to have some idea about the game ,

my opinion and it’s only my opinion is that rowett is a young manager with potential to develop into a very decent prem level manager and I feel he has shown enough in his time with so far to have earnt fair praise for the job he is doing as a whole at the club so I tend to back him when he is in my view unfairly discarded as a manager by some posters on here,

will he be a success ultimately? I can’t say for certain as nobody can but it’s very boring constantly hearing some telling us he is not going to be ,, ive even seen it posted that if he gets us promotion it means nothing as he won’t be good enough for the prem and will fail ,,, nobody can tell me that’s fair appraisal,it’s just plain agenda driven irrational dislike in my book

Archived