Mi-fi

Phoenix

Anyone got any experience of this?

We decided to get this for my step-son, who is permanently in a care home. His life consists of watching movies and sport, for which we have a Sky package.

However, it has become apparent that having the internet would be advantageous, for a number of reasons. Having discussed it with Vodafone (who have some decent offers) the guy suggested that there may be difficulties getting a permanent phone line installed (in a care home), and that the landline broadband speed is not too good in that particular part of Loughborough. However, the 4G signal has very good coverage there (allegedly).

Another advantage is that it's portable, so if he's moved to another room, it's a win-win. We also went for the Video Pass which gives (apparently) easy access to a number of apps, although we still have to pay the usual fees for Netflix and the like.

We obviously have 30 days to see if it's viable, or whether we've been sold B/S, but any hint, tips or downsides would be welcome. We've gone for the 30 Gb per month for starters but that can be adjusted up or down through experience.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, TigerTedd said:

4g can definitely be faster than a lot of broadband speeds. There’s a lot of time I’ll turn WiFi off cod my 4g is better. So it may well be the way of the future. Like ditching your landline altogether. 

Eh?

5 hours ago, PistoldPete2 said:

Eh?

I’ll be on wifi, normally public wifi, and it’s rubbish, so I’ll turn the wifi off and switch to 4g. When the reception is good, it’s almost instantaneous. 

I don’t have a landline any more (we’ll i do, it comes free with my sky package, but I don’t even know the number, and don’t have a physical phone), and I think a lot of people are the same. What’s the point with free calls, even 08 and 03 numbers now, from your mobile? So I think that’s the future, and that 4g will probably become faster than most headbands, so just using a 4g wifi hotspot will become the norm for most people. 

Does that add a bit more clarification?

Archived