Under 23s v Manchester United St George's Park

angieram

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Man United are bottom of the table so it's vital not to lose this or we're in much bigger danger. 1-1 with five minutes left with the Rams down to 10 men after a ridiculous sending off to match the terrible penalty call. You get the feeling the ref and Premier League might not want Man Utd relegated...

Edit: Lewis Walker treated for a head injury and the referee orders him off the pitch after treatment (which shouldn't happen if I recall the rules) and then doesn't let him come back on. And then bizarrely gives Man Utd a freekick in a very dangerous position but it comes to nothing.

Injury time on top of injury time. But finally 1-1. Good point in the circumstances.

Just got in from St George's Park. I do enjoy going there to watch the football. 

I thought our young team did us proud, although it was a scrappy match, not helped by some really pernicketty refereeing. We seemed to be a bit wary of taking the game to United in the first half. After a bright start a couple of un-necessary bookings from the referee made us hesitant and it wasn't a surprise when a penalty was given against us. I would like to see it again as at opposite end of pitch to us but it looked like a block even though the player was looking for it.

Second half I thought we were really bright, Babos and Cresswell came to life and Walker started to win the aerial duels.  It was a cracking header from him for a well-deserved equaliser. We looked the team more likely to go on and win it so such a shame when Cresswell was sent off. That looked harsh to me and if the referee had been a bit more sensible early doors it wouldn't have happened.  

Manchester United inevitably had more of the ball afterwards but we defended well and still had a couple of good chances. 

Thomas played well (though again a bit stymied by his early booking) but I thought the whole team played well together and can be righty pleased with their workrate and willingness to battle for each other.

With a whole team of under 23s out on loan (I'm sure that also applies to United but they're a bit richer than us!) we still have a lot of talented players out there. COYR!  

Archived