Virgin Media V6 Box Free upgrade

Wolfie

OK so I've only just seen that theres a free upgrade now for existing Virgin Tivo users to their V6 box but I don't know how long it has been available. I've just upgraded

It's an ugly box but meant to be rayt good.

Just thought some might like to know about the offer.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Does it actually....you know move pages when you ask it to?

My biggest hate when I was with Virgin was that TiVO box, you could press page down, nip to toilet and stick the kettle on and see the page just load as you sit down. 

That and the inbuilt apps for YouTube and Netflix were absolute garbage, not that matters now with smart TV's.

3 minutes ago, David said:

Does it actually....you know move pages when you ask it to?

My biggest hate when I was with Virgin was that TiVO box, you could press page down, nip to toilet and stick the kettle on and see the page just load as you sit down. 

That and the inbuilt apps for YouTube and Netflix were absolute garbage, not that matters now with smart TV's.

I've never had too many problems with the Tivo but I know quite a lot of people have.

I have noticed it slowing down when loading recordings recently, though. Maybe Virgin are doing an "Apple".

Agree with the Apps. Tried to use iPlayer once and gave up. The Sony Smart TV ones are far better.

Apparently I'll be able to move my old Tivo to the bedroom and watch both old & new recordings across both boxes in both locations, as long as I connect the old box to the hub. The Tivo is consistently 60-70% full and I didn't want to lose anything.

It's been about 6 months. I upgraded mine and the new box is like muck off a shovel compared to the old one.

They also kindly sent me a new upgraded superhub in the same box -which I didn't ask for (as they said my old Superhub was fine when I ordered the Tivo replacement), also a new Superhub was supposed to be chargeable but they didn't charge. The new hub is also loads better than the old one in terms of having a menu system that actually works!

Just now, Wolfie said:

If innovation means deliberately slowing down older equipment, then yes.

At least the Virgin upgrade is free.

They slowed down phones to preserve battery life so your phone could continue to be a phone by the end of the day. (Normal usage applies).

But fair play to Apple they have no innovated a switch that will disable this and allow you to have a dead phone by dinnertime.

Anyhow, Virgin box isn't free free, you're paying for it in your monthly contract, same as you do a phone contract. 

And they are rubbish, even if I wanted to go back I can't as they decided that when the roads were being built on the new housing estate I live on that they didn't want to put cables down. VivaMurdoch!

Which straying off topic again I see they are going to introduce full online subscriptions where you don't need a dish. Every channel through the power of the internet. Take that Virgin and your cables!

6 minutes ago, David said:

They slowed down phones to preserve battery life so your phone could continue to be a phone by the end of the day. (Normal usage applies).

But they would say that, wouldn't they?. Purely coincidental I'm sure that people see their phones slow down and want a shiny new one. I have an iPhone & iPad, so I have no axe to grind against Apple except for the sneaky way this was done.

Anyhow, Virgin box isn't free free, you're paying for it in your monthly contract, same as you do a phone contract. 

Of course but the point is until now, you had to pay for the upgrade. Can SKY customers upgrade to Q for free?. I have no idea.

And they are rubbish, even if I wanted to go back I can't as they decided that when the roads were being built on the new housing estate I live on that they didn't want to put cables down. VivaMurdoch!

Which straying off topic again I see they are going to introduce full online subscriptions where you don't need a dish. Every channel through the power of the internet. Take that Virgin and your cables!

It'll need some serious investment in broadband over many years before a lot of people can ditch the dish.

1 minute ago, Wolfie said:

Can SKY customers upgrade to Q for free?. I have no idea.

No, you have to pay for some block to come fiddle with your dish and setup a new box. You pay for all this and when you're contract is up you have to return the boxes. The old Sky HD+ boxes they let you keep but not these ones. 

I don't particularly like Sky, I pay for all the Sports channels but can I watch them in HD? oh no, that will be another £6 a month please, yes we are aware it's 2018 but that's £6 please. Grrr.

The UI on the boxes are far far better to Virgin tough. And nicer colours.

1 minute ago, David said:

No, you have to pay for some block to come fiddle with your dish and setup a new box. You pay for all this and when you're contract is up you have to return the boxes. The old Sky HD+ boxes they let you keep but not these ones. 

Yeah we're allowed to keep the old Tivo box but if we cancel now, we'll have to return the V6. There's no value in the old boxes. In fact they'll probably have to pay for them to be dismantled & recycled as per WEEE regulations. Might as well let us keep them.

I don't particularly like Sky, I pay for all the Sports channels but can I watch them in HD? oh no, that will be another £6 a month please, yes we are aware it's 2018 but that's £6 please. Grrr.

Wouldn't it be cheaper for you to have NowTV for Sport? I only buy the 24 hour passes for DCFC matches but I'm told there's always offers on monhtly or 3 moonth sports & movie passes. And it's almost HD.

The UI on the boxes are far far better to Virgin tough. And nicer colours.

Agree & as I said earlier, the V6 box looks like my 5 year old has designed it.

I was a SKY customer for years & only switched when I moved house because Virgin internet around us is so much faster than SKY (160 vs 20Mbit). If that was to ever change I might consider going back.

4 hours ago, Wolfie said:

Wouldn't it be cheaper for you to have NowTV for Sport? I only buy the 24 hour passes for DCFC matches but I'm told there's always offers on monhtly or 3 moonth sports & movie passes. And it's almost HD.

To be honest I shouldn't even be moaning at how much I'm paying, after a year of Sky Q I left as I used Netflix more and used the NowTV option. They started begging me to come back, missed me which is understandable, I managed to bag myself an alright deal for 12 months.

TV package now works out ever so slightly cheaper than just the NowTV Sports package for 12 months when I can cancel after. 

Plus have the rewind, pause stuff when nature calls.

Screen Shot 2018-02-02 at 10.21.45.png

I'm supposed to be receiving the v6 this Saturday. I'm not sure if I'll get the hub 3 or not. I've currently got the hub 2. I've read that I'd be better off sticking with that, as the 3 is rubbish. I've also read the opposite. So I'm not sure what to do if that turns up with the v6. 

Upgrading from an old box, which is from before they had recording ones! 

It will be the first time I will be able to record something, since I last had a working video recorder. 

As it's a self install, I'll probably be without TV and Internet by Saturday afternoon :(

34 minutes ago, ketteringram said:

I'm supposed to be receiving the v6 this Saturday. I'm not sure if I'll get the hub 3 or not. I've currently got the hub 2. I've read that I'd be better off sticking with that, as the 3 is rubbish. I've also read the opposite. So I'm not sure what to do if that turns up with the v6. 

I'd heard the same about the SH3, but as I said earlier in the thread - it seems to work better than the SH2 did for me. I certainly don't see anything that would rank it as "rubbish".

6 hours ago, David said:

With regard to the cable, I was told by a Virgin employee that it was unlikely they'd lay any more cable for the foreseeable future, which particularly rankled with him because he lived in a new build house on the opposite side of the road to where they already had cable. How short-sighted is that.

Re the sky dish, I used to have sky, and still have the dish, with 4 outlets, 2 to each of two rooms. I have a Humax freesat box in each room. This gives me pause/rewind/ record A & watch B etc and is quite snappy. Very pleased. Are they likely to knock transmission to the dish on the head, or will they just stop issuing them, do you suppose?

10 minutes ago, Phoenix said:

With regard to the cable, I was told by a Virgin employee that it was unlikely they'd lay any more cable for the foreseeable future, which particularly rankled with him because he lived in a new build house on the opposite side of the road to where they already had cable. How short-sighted is that.

Re the sky dish, I used to have sky, and still have the dish, with 4 outlets, 2 to each of two rooms. I have a Humax freesat box in each room. This gives me pause/rewind/ record A & watch B etc and is quite snappy. Very pleased. Are they likely to knock transmission to the dish on the head, or will they just stop issuing them, do you suppose?

Dishes won't be obsolete until everyone has access to high speed broadband - which will be several years away and cost billions.

I'm sure some time soon, they might stop installing dishes for those people with fast enough connections - optional at first and then compulsory.

They'll therefore have to continue the satellite transmission for a while yet & I would expect a deadline for switch over will be set however many years into the future (like they did when analogue TV finished) so that people will have time to get round to it and they will have time to make sure the boradband infrastructure is suitable.

4 minutes ago, Wolfie said:

Dishes won't be obsolete until everyone has access to high speed broadband - which will be several years away and cost billions.

I'm sure some time soon, they might stop installing dishes for those people with fast enough connections - optional at first and then compulsory.

They'll therefore have to continue the satellite transmission for a while yet & I would expect a deadline for switch over will be set however many years into the future (like they did when analogue TV finished) so that people will have time to get round to it and they will have time to make sure the boradband infrastructure is suitable.

Seems logical. I like the 'several years' bit. I'm an old crinkley so it might see me out. Anyway, I could get broadband up to about 76 mbps down the phone line (currently 36mbps), and used to get 200 mbps before I dumped Virgin in a cost cutting excercise, so I'm already well covered.

SH3 has latency issues which can affect online gaming. There is a huge thread on the virgin media community forums about this on-going problem which was reported a year or so ago. If you don't game online then SH3 is ok. If you do, keep SH2.

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Gaming-Support/Hub-3-Compal-CH7465-LG-TG2492LG-and-CGNV4-Latency-Cause/td-p/3271492

Archived