Riyad Mahrez

Van der MoodHoover

Didn't get his "dream" move to Citeh over the line as Leicester priced him out. Essentially holding him to his contract.

Now hasn't turned up for training as he is reportedly "depressed and in a fragile mental state" (according to SSN).

And this despite manager Puel making very conciliatory noises about ensuring that the player will be welcomed back and treated sensitively.by his teammates. Some of the latter now allegedly hacked off with his antics.

So what now? Any way back for the mercurial Algerian? Have Leicester been principled in their approach or shot themselves in the foot? Would Citeh even want him if he became available in the summer after these latest shenanigans? 

Good spectator sport but really glad it ain't my club.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, RadioactiveWaste said:

Leicester think they're a premier league big hitter these days. Think...:lol:

This!

One bad season and their support will disappear again. 

Hopefully, now they’re a wash with money they can pay all the local tradesmen who got shafted when the building of their lovely stadium went t*ts up? 

14 minutes ago, Boycie said:

This!

One bad season and their support will disappear again. 

Hopefully, now they’re a wash with money they can pay all the local tradesmen who got shafted when the building of their lovely stadium went t*ts up? 

Did you make sure you got paid cash on delivery Boycie? :lol:

(In hand of course)

Premier league is rapidly becoming unsustainable, clubs gambling millions on the hope that they make the champions league for an almost gaurenteed £30m windfall, some will make it, City United, others won't. 5 years time you could see a large club collapse.

What's Boycie doing up at 6.30am being sensible on the football forum?

Anyway, I have to strangely agree with him, greed cost them in the end and now they have a right mess to deal with. Any fee now in the next window will be much lower.

I say this whilst Virgil Van Dijk popped in my head, I guess the difference here is there has been a transfer request handed in both windows. 

If a player wants out, just let them leave, they've reached the point of not wanting to be at the club, what are you going to do throw more money at them and trigger a chain of others demanding pay rises. Be plenty out there that would love to join Leicester right now, go find someone that does want to play.

Agree with all of the above but... contracts have to mean something, Mahrez was happy to sign it and therefore should be prepared to honour it.  Also, selling one of your key players on deadline day leaves little time to bring an appropriate replacement in.

As for being in a "depressed and in a fragile mental state", it must be a difficult life as a Premier League footballer, struggling to make ends meet, working several jobs just to pay the bills, sending the kids out to school hungry...

9 minutes ago, maxjam said:

Agree with all of the above but... contracts have to mean something, Mahrez was happy to sign it and therefore should be prepared to honour it.  Also, selling one of your key players on deadline day leaves little time to bring an appropriate replacement in.

As for being in a "depressed and in a fragile mental state", it must be a difficult life as a Premier League football, struggling to make ends meet, working several jobs just to pay the bills, sending the kids out to school hungry...

In an ideal world, but all the piece of paper does is stop a player playing for another club for the duration of that contract.

When Mahrez signed the new contract it was under Ranieri, managers can walk in the door and not fancy working with you, a player on the other hand has no choice.....well they do but that's when you sell them.

We'll be alright when robots take over, that way you can include a line that says you must give your 100% on the pitch and training, insert mood and tracking chips into them.

1 hour ago, McRamFan said:

Premier league is rapidly becoming unsustainable, clubs gambling millions on the hope that they make the champions league for an almost gaurenteed £30m windfall, some will make it, City United, others won't. 5 years time you could see a large club collapse.

To be honest I don't really see it. £30 mill isn't really all that much when you already get paid at least £100 mill for finishing bottom of the league. 

Unless the likes of Man City, Chelsea, Leicester, even Stoke lose their wealthy owners suddenly they have no chance of collapsing. Clubs like Arsenal, Man City, Chelsea, Man Utd and Liverpool would have to see something absolutely catastophic happen to see a fianancial collapse when you consider how much money they make even without their owners. 

28 minutes ago, David said:

In an ideal world, but all the piece of paper does is stop a player playing for another club for the duration of that contract.

When Mahrez signed the new contract it was under Ranieri, managers can walk in the door and not fancy working with you, a player on the other hand has no choice.....well they do but that's when you sell them.

We'll be alright when robots take over, that way you can include a line that says you must give your 100% on the pitch and training, insert mood and tracking chips into them.

I dunno, if you sign for a club in this day and age you've surely got to expect to be there longer than the manager :p

Besides hasn't Puel been getting the best out of him recently?  Not turning up to work cos you're feeling a bit miffed about being held to your contract is pretty poor imo, I'd fine the bugger 100% wages every day he's absent with a bonus fine thrown on top for good measure!

I can't see what Leicester gain by not letting him go. I'd have bitten their hand off for £65 mil and a player in return. Now they have a disgruntled player that won't perform even if he does end up playing and no money in the pocket to plan for summer where it would be better spent.

1 hour ago, maxjam said:

I dunno, if you sign for a club in this day and age you've surely got to expect to be there longer than the manager :p

Besides hasn't Puel been getting the best out of him recently?  Not turning up to work cos you're feeling a bit miffed about being held to your contract is pretty poor imo, I'd fine the bugger 100% wages every day he's absent with a bonus fine thrown on top for good measure!

Oh it's poor, definitely, not defending Mahrez at all. Just think Leicester should have avoided all this mess and sold him, keep seeing the media say it's ok Leicester owners are loaded, they don't need the money but this is more than money. 

Its poor all round, no one wins, just stating the clubs point of view.

50-60m or whatever would be nice but with no time to replace the player you can't really justify selling (unless he's gonna go on strike until the end of the season now :p)

I sometimes wonder whether future contracts will include a can't be sold for the first 50% of its length clause or similar.  Not that managers stick around long enough these days but it must be difficult to build a squad if your best players are getting poached all the time.

Mahrez scores and creates goals. Man City spent £50m on defender Kyle Walker. Liverpool spent £75m on defender Virgil van Dijk. Leicester's view is that Mahrez should be worth more and reportedly they wanted £100m.

Mahrez has been playing really well lately. If they can welcome him back into the fold and he performs for the rest of the season then I think they will get more in the summer. If they'd sold, they'd have been lambasted for being a small selling club, when they are trying to demonstrate they've gone up a level, and winning the league sustains that argument.

It's probably on a knife edge at the moment and of course it was a gamble/judgement call, but I think the club did the right thing.

Based on what I have seen Leicester have told him they would let him go for the right money. In consecutive windows they have received good offers that they have rejected. It looks on the surface like they have told Marhez one thing then consistently moved the goal posts on him. 

I don't think going AWOL is the best way to deal with it but I can understand why he is pissed off.

What I didn’t understand about it is what they really need him for? They’re not achieving anything this season, they’re not in trouble of relegation, doubt they’ll get the same production out of him ever again (particularly now) and someone who will go down as one of the greatest Leicester players ever has had his reputation tarnished.

The Sanchez debacle really brought out the worst in the pundits and yer da that have no sympathy for a player, anyone who ever wants a move is greedy or a Judas. It’s just lazy.

From a financial perspective, Leicester are idiots too. They could have got 60 million and a player for him, what we’re they playing at? They’ve got Gray, a star in the making, and Albrighton for the wings, I assume they’d have got a decent player from Man City too (I think it was going to be Patrick Roberts?).

Dont have to spend the 60 million instantly, let that money sit in the bank for the summer where I assume your new manager will want to have money to build his own team.

9 hours ago, maxjam said:

As for being in a "depressed and in a fragile mental state", it must be a difficult life as a Premier League footballer, struggling to make ends meet, working several jobs just to pay the bills, sending the kids out to school hungry...

These days, particularly in the PL, contracts are frequently renewed with the aim of the player inserting a release clause and bumping up his salary and the club safeguarding their investment so that a contract extension increases any future transfer fee.

Not saying this is necessarily what's happened in this case - I think Leicester are just being greedy and now they have a really unhappy player on the books. 

Archived