Luke Thomas - Sent to Coventry, loan extended till end of the season

Animal is a Ram

• Replies 332
  • Created
  • Last Reply

11 minutes ago, Topram said:

So Morris wants the new man to play youngsters but sells Thomas our brightest prospect??! The guys lost his ******* mind

Thomas has gone then has he? Must have missed that story

This is basically the same article updated with Rowett leaving, clickbate!

Let's give Mel and the new coach/manager time before we destroy them. Based on previous we have months to do this and the anticipation will make the experience better. 

We have too many professionals at the club to be able to bring the youngsters through meaning they tend to wither and perish. If they played regularly in our first team they'd become very saleable assets but they don't. At Thomas's age, not many with promise go on to fulfil that promise.

I like Luke and he was brilliantly consistent all season for the U23s, which is tough at that age. But he is extremely one-footed and has not properly broken through into the first team. Yet the piece suggests we'll get a quarter of the fee I was told we were paid for Hughes. For me that's amazingly good business and helps fund the academy.

It's always sad to see decent youngsters move on, but when there isn't room to breathe at Moor Farm, it's better to get a decent fee than release them in a year or two's time. The reality of modern-day football is that sometimes you have to take the cash.

I'd be disappointed to see Thomas leave, but £1.2m (providing that's paid upfront and it's not 100k now with outrageous promises) is decent. It's not much lower than what we're getting for our manager.

If he had shown as much promise as he has done in the U23s and he was 16/17 then I would be reluctant, but he's 20 in February. 

It's a shame that we haven't seen much of him, but we'd struggle to get £1.2m for some of our regular first team players - nevermind an under-23 player with just minutes under his belt at first team level. 

Would take us to over £3m without having sold a single first team player yet (providing we don't have to pay a great deal in compensation for a new manager which I don't see happening). 

Use the sale of Vydra to balance the books, let the new man have this £3m plus anything else raised through sales to play with the squad. See what he can do... young prem loans could be key. Would love Wilson from Liverpool. 

Some of you guys really need to stop jumping the gun.

WE HAVE NOT SOLD LUKE THOMAS.

The only paper who has reported this story (twice now) is that font of all transfer knowledge "Gloucester Live". This is blatant clickbait.

Untwist your knickers FFS.

The thing I find strange about this is once again the only outlet reporting this is Gloucestershire Live, HITC have rehashed it as you would expect.

Jan 30th - Set to join St Johnstone on loan
Apr 17th - West Ham are keen on Thomas
May 10th - Close to joining West Ham for £1m
May 22nd - Close to joining West Ham for £1.2m

I also found this on the site, Cheltenham are to net a five figure sum when Thomas leaves Derby:

https://www.gloucestershirelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/cheltenham-town-net-five-figure-812972

Does make you wonder if the source is close to his old club where one of his brothers still play, trying to get his name into the spotlight and drum up some interest so they can collect their addons?

They are following him closely on the website, 18 stories with him in the last year. 

Agreed about youth not being given a chance.

The only reason Will Hughes, Jeff Hendrick & Mason Bennett broke into the first team was because there were games when we couldn't even fill the bench.

Maybe going back to those days is the only way youth will get it's chance to break into the first team and it's another year before the big hitters will be leaving when their contracts expire

35 minutes ago, SamUltraRam said:

Agreed about youth not being given a chance.

The only reason Will Hughes, Jeff Hendrick & Mason Bennett broke into the first team was because there were games when we couldn't even fill the bench.

Maybe going back to those days is the only way youth will get it's chance to break into the first team and it's another year before the big hitters will be leaving when their contracts expire

The only reason Will Hughes broke into the first team was that he is exceptionally gifted. He wasn't discovered by accident.

2 hours ago, David said:

The thing I find strange about this is once again the only outlet reporting this is Gloucestershire Live, HITC have rehashed it as you would expect.

Jan 30th - Set to join St Johnstone on loan
Apr 17th - West Ham are keen on Thomas
May 10th - Close to joining West Ham for £1m
May 22nd - Close to joining West Ham for £1.2m

I also found this on the site, Cheltenham are to net a five figure sum when Thomas leaves Derby:

https://www.gloucestershirelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/cheltenham-town-net-five-figure-812972

Does make you wonder if the source is close to his old club where one of his brothers still play, trying to get his name into the spotlight and drum up some interest so they can collect their addons?

They are following him closely on the website, 18 stories with him in the last year. 

Kind of wondering if by chance Luke Thomas is signed up to a very active agency, nowt like a bit of self promotion, ask Gary Rowett!

9 minutes ago, Zag zig said:

Kind of wondering if by chance Luke Thomas is signed up to a very active agency, nowt like a bit of self promotion, ask Gary Rowett!

Can't be a very good agency if the only media outlet that they can get to report this nonsense is "Cheltenham Live"

2 minutes ago, Carnero said:

Can't be a very good agency if the only media outlet that they can get to report this nonsense is "Cheltenham Live"

Yeah but all the locals get touted around the nationals. The Mirror for one rehashed a paragraph on the West Ham link for £1m a couple of weeks back.

Archived