Luke Thomas - Sent to Coventry, loan extended till end of the season

Animal is a Ram

It’s amazing that some seem to hype him up as our saviour based on approximately 10 minutes of first team football, and are also taking this as gospel. It’s the equivalent of the Derby Telegraph being the only paper to report that Will Hughes is going to Barcelona for £60m.

He is obviously doing well in the Under-23’s, and that’s very good, but I seem to remember Callum Ball was as well back in the day. 

In truth we don’t really know how well he’ll make the step up. £1m would be pretty good money for someone with so little football.

• Replies 332
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, RiddingsRam said:

Be careful , you will get shot down on here for talking actual sense. 

It's not though is it. Derbys young player of the year gone for a million(although i doubt there's any truth in it) which means the others are worth how much? A bag of crisps and a banana!

Two sides to this, on the one hand we got him for free (or relative pennies) and the million will justify the academy. There's no guareentee Gary intends to give him any gametime next year and would end up stagnating (think along the lines of Mason Bennett) 

Other hand, keep hold of him, either play him or get him on loan to a championship team, plays a blinder and is worth millions more. I can see why this would be a tough position for GR

clarkeram7

1 million isn't even alot of money nowadays. Especially considering thy next season we may not be throwing money at it, these lads will be closer to the first team if we're in this division. May as well keep him and wait and see! 

1 hour ago, Papahet said:

Shambles if he went for a million.

Hes head and shoulders above anyone in the u23s that aren't out on loan or named Jayden Bogle. Him and Elsnik should be pushing for first team football here next season, give them new deals if needs be.

FTFY.

I think Thomas has the potential to be worth more than £1m, of course he does. But there's always a risk associated with holding on to a young player, same as there's a risk in letting them go. I don't think it would be an upsetting deal. I'd be a little disappointed.

4 minutes ago, angieram said:

Thank you Angieram

So, let's get this right. A local rag, part of the DET group of papers and therefore subject to the same desire to get online clicks to maximise their advert income, rework a story that was doing the rounds several weeks ago with liberal uses of the words 'close' to, 'interested' in and all the rest that indicate that they actually know the square root of nothing. West Ham don't even know who their manager will be next season.

And we have the boy himself interviewed on RamsTV. He appears to be pretty level headed and also speaks about how nervous he was and is just going to first team training, never mind getting on the pitch (when, if I remember right, he forgot completely what position he was playing in on his debut). Sounds to me like Gaz is doing the right thing by holding him back a bit, getting him used to being around the squad and the first team so that when he does play he'll be able to give of his best.

Why on earth would a level headed young guy from Cheltenham, making progress in his career, want to bury himself in London in a PL club that's a complete mess from top to bottom, and run every risk of stagnating, just because gloucestershire live suggest it?

1 hour ago, ilkleyram said:

Thank you Angieram

So, let's get this right. A local rag, part of the DET group of papers and therefore subject to the same desire to get online clicks to maximise their advert income, rework a story that was doing the rounds several weeks ago with liberal uses of the words 'close' to, 'interested' in and all the rest that indicate that they actually know the square root of nothing. West Ham don't even know who their manager will be next season.

And we have the boy himself interviewed on RamsTV. He appears to be pretty level headed and also speaks about how nervous he was and is just going to first team training, never mind getting on the pitch (when, if I remember right, he forgot completely what position he was playing in on his debut). Sounds to me like Gaz is doing the right thing by holding him back a bit, getting him used to being around the squad and the first team so that when he does play he'll be able to give of his best.

Why on earth would a level headed young guy from Cheltenham, making progress in his career, want to bury himself in London in a PL club that's a complete mess from top to bottom, and run every risk of stagnating, just because gloucestershire live suggest it?

Money?

I can remember us getting rid of a lad called Kevin Cooper for peanuts, reminds me a lot of Thomas.  Went on to make a good career for himself, can’t beleive that we would risk getting rid of him for such a small amount if we thought he could make it, especially if we are going to be reliant on youth next year.

A million is a drop in the ocean, we must have 15 players on that a season. If you think about selling him to pay Butterfly's wages that's pretty preposterous.

We need to be setting a firm line with all unsolicited outgoings, if you want them you pay over market value.

Granted we don't really know Thomas' market value but I'd be asking for up to 50% of the sell on if they're only paying £1m.

13 hours ago, 86 points said:

I'd be disappointed to see the lad go as he does seem a highly promising young player. That said, £1 mill ain't chickenfeed when you think we picked up CamJam and Captain Curtis for only twice that fee. 

Yeah but what are their potential sell on values?

6 minutes ago, EnigmaRam said:

Yeah but what are their potential sell on values?

Take your point Enigma but shouldn't the priority be what they can deliver on the pitch over and above what we can ship them on for?

I'd like to think Luke can go on to be a proper player and command a big fee if sold but if he proves himself to be above average isn't that just another reason to not sell him?

2 minutes ago, 86 points said:

Take your point Enigma but shouldn't the priority be what they can deliver on the pitch over and above what we can ship them on for?

I'd like to think Luke can go on to be a proper player and command a big fee if sold but if he proves himself to be above average isn't that just another reason to not sell him?

I wouldn't sell him. £1 mil is peanuts for the potential he could achieve. 

If there is anything in this he must have a fair bit about him as West Ham tend to grow there own youngsters and don't buy in so probably worth giving him a year here and a bit of game time first .  If he impresses he's worth more .  Similar situation when Derby were giving Paul Blades a transfer in the old third division days and Man Utd wanted him .  That seemed to change our mind .   Also remember Sturridge on loan Torquay when we were going to let him go in part exchange for Paul Trollope . A bagful of goals changed it to a cash deal .    Always worth sending a youngster on loan for a few months to help you make a decision as to there future chances  if you not sure there first team ready rather than sell them straight away . 

59 minutes ago, EnigmaRam said:

I wouldn't sell him. £1 mil is peanuts for the potential he could achieve. 

Like I said in my original post bud, I don't want him sold either. I guess where we differ is you're focussing on resale values but I'm more interested in what he can do to strengthen the side. I'd kind of hoped he'd get more game time this season to be honest. On the little I've seen he looks a prospect.

3 hours ago, 86 points said:

Like I said in my original post bud, I don't want him sold either. I guess where we differ is you're focussing on resale values but I'm more interested in what he can do to strengthen the side. I'd kind of hoped he'd get more game time this season to be honest. On the little I've seen he looks a prospect.

I agree, but his resale value will increase with minutes on the pitch

Archived