Luke Thomas - Sent to Coventry, loan extended till end of the season

Animal is a Ram

• Replies 332
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 16/08/2018 at 23:01, Rample said:

Hope this is the making of the lad, obviously has some talent, but keen to see if he can show it consistently.

Would expect it to be extended to the end of the season as long as he settles and plays regularly. 

I'd love to see him tearing up league one and ready to come back and push for a first team spot here next season, but for now think we have enough players and would like Bennett to get a shot at being in and around the squad as he's that bit more experienced. 

I occasionally speak sense. 

Couple of my housemates at uni were Cov fans and they absolutely love him, both for his work ethic and quality. A full season of regular football will do wonders for his development, in a similar vein to Wilson and Mount for us. A recall would have been a really bad move so happy days.

On 03/01/2019 at 15:24, Topram said:

Would of liked to of had him back but Coventry fans are delighted he’s back which is a great sign hopefully a big player next year 

I reckon most fans are lousy scouts but know exactly what a player does on the pitch in a game for their team, so if they want him it’s a good sign for the future. 

Glad to see it's been extended. They must rate him there for them to want him until the end of the season. Plus it gives him another half a season of good first team football to further develop him. 

Unless he'd definitely get good game time here, this is the best option for him.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Having seen the pre-season friendlies, I was quite excited about this lad. Wondered when he returns from Coventry and if he's eligible to be in Derby's squad if we get a play-off place.

https://www.skybluestalk.co.uk/threads/luke-thomas.100697/

Majority of Coventry fans rate him as one of their better players this season, there's a standard odd-ball in there that slates him for not being as good as Messi.

22 minutes ago, Moist One said:

Having seen the pre-season friendlies, I was quite excited about this lad. Wondered when he returns from Coventry and if he's eligible to be in Derby's squad if we get a play-off place.

Majority of Coventry fans rate him as one of their better players this season, there's a standard odd-ball in there that slates him for not being as good as Messi.

This question gets asked every year and I'm pretty sure the answer every year is no.

I've also heard he's done very well, apart from his finishing. By all accounts, if he works on that then he could become a top player.

19 minutes ago, Moist One said:

EFL regulation 53.1.4: "A Player whose Standard Loan expires (or terminates) at the end of the Season of the Transferee Club but prior to the completion of the League Matches of his Transferor Club (where it is a Member Club) will not be eligible to play in any remaining League Matches for the Transferor Club in that Season.”

Playoff games count as 'league matches' - so no.

4 hours ago, Moist One said:

It sounds like if we could merge Wilson & Thomas then we would have one hell of a player! 

FWIW, I think, barring promotion, that he'll be part of the squad next season. He obviously needs to work on his composure infront of goal, judging by the comments, but those sort of things come with experience and coaching. 

47 minutes ago, Bob Gnarly said:

He has answered a question on whether he is going back next season to Coventry with a winky emoji 

I doubt he will know himself yet. I doubt Lampard has had the chance, or even the thought yet, to discuss it with him. Should we sneak promotion, I would expect him to spend another season on loan, so maybe back at Coventry or maybe a little higher, and in the Championship.

The wink might suggest that Coventry have told him that they want him back next season.

Caught the game they played before our Easter Monday QPR match and the Coventry front three of Thomas, Bakayoko and Enobakhare all looked very good. 

He had a great chance when rounding the keeper but just lacked a bit of composure to finish in the end but looked decent. I'd hope if we don't go up he will be one of our wide options next year. 

I do wonder whether we might be considering selling him to them, rather than another loan? We would get a fee, and we aren't exactly short of right wingers.

We have Bennett, Josefzoon and the excellent Jayden Mitchell-Lawson on the verge of the first team squad. Kyle McAllister is on loan at St Mirren. Tyree Wilson seems to be able to play left or right wing and is coming on strong.

I rate Thomas, but it does seem the position is pretty well covered at the club.

Archived