Luke Thomas - Sent to Coventry, loan extended till end of the season

Animal is a Ram

5 minutes ago, angieram said:

I do wonder whether we might be considering selling him to them, rather than another loan? We would get a fee, and we aren't exactly short of right wingers.

We have Bennett, Josefzoon and the excellent Jayden Mitchell-Lawson on the verge of the first team squad. Kyle McAllister is on loan at St Mirren. Tyree Wilson seems to be able to play left or right wing and is coming on strong.

I rate Thomas, but it does seem the position is pretty well covered at the club.

You think we are covered in that department ? I don't think have any out and out wingers at all. 

• Replies 332
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Thomas isn’t an “out and out winger”. He’s a left footed ‘right forward’ who cuts in 

Exactly - like all the others do. The trick is to vary it a bit.

Bennett made a pretty good job of getting to the byeline and putting in a great pull back for Bogle on Saturday - no point having wingers who just fling high balls into the box if we don't have the traditional 'centre-forward' to head it on. Anyway, our full backs seem to do quite a bit of that. ;-)

I think in terms of the style we want to play we have exactly the right sort of players. Just got a lot more of them on the right than the left.

Maybe my mistake is in calling them wingers, but that's just how I think of them as they play up front on either the left or the right!  

7 hours ago, angieram said:

Exactly - like all the others do. The trick is to vary it a bit.

Bennett made a pretty good job of getting to the byeline and putting in a great pull back for Bogle on Saturday - no point having wingers who just fling high balls into the box if we don't have the traditional 'centre-forward' to head it on. Anyway, our full backs seem to do quite a bit of that. ?

I think in terms of the style we want to play we have exactly the right sort of players. Just got a lot more of them on the right than the left.

Maybe my mistake is in calling them wingers, but that's just how I think of them as they play up front on either the left or the right!  

You're right. Those 'wingers' play more as old fahioned inside forwards, with the full-backs playing as wingers of old.

27 minutes ago, therealhantsram said:

You're right. Those 'wingers' play more as old fahioned inside forwards, with the full-backs playing as wingers of old.

Who's playing full back?

On 30/04/2019 at 12:30, angieram said:

I do wonder whether we might be considering selling him to them, rather than another loan? We would get a fee, and we aren't exactly short of right wingers.

We have Bennett, Josefzoon and the excellent Jayden Mitchell-Lawson on the verge of the first team squad. Kyle McAllister is on loan at St Mirren. Tyree Wilson seems to be able to play left or right wing and is coming on strong.

I rate Thomas, but it does seem the position is pretty well covered at the club.

I hope we don’t - more likely to sell josefzoon for me and McAllister  

13 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

From the snippets I've seen on tv of McAllister and Thomas and watching Jozefzoon live in our home games, Thomas has looked much the better long-term prospect.

37 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

20 minutes ago, Wolfie20 said:

From the snippets I've seen on tv of McAllister and Thomas and watching Jozefzoon live in our home games, Thomas has looked much the better long-term prospect.

McAllister seemed like the better prospect to me. It's such a shame the majority of the two years he's been with us has been shared with Thorne on the treatment table. Hopefully, he's past that now, but he's probably a year behind Thomas in his development 

2 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

McAllister seemed like the better prospect to me. It's such a shame the majority of the two years he's been with us has been shared with Thorne on the treatment table. Hopefully, he's past that now, but he's probably a year behind Thomas in his development 

I think McAllister has more skill, but Luke Thomas is a terrier with a great workrate and I like that about him.

@Sparkle my thoughts about a sale are more to do with us responding to a club who may be interested in making a purchase, rather than the relative merits of the players. I don't think anyone will be queuing up to buy Jozefzoon on this season's form.

I still think our squad is too big and we have to cut where we can, especially if people are wanting new signings.

Ideal situation, we keep all our good youngsters and they develop into stars for us. But financial situation may dictate otherwise.,

Would like to keep both young'uns really, on admittedly little evidence, however. FloJo has a bit to prove for me. A bright start has not evolved into anything meaningful and he now seems stuck in the peripheries of Frank's vision.

I was really surprised out how quickly Luke got sent out as to my eyes he looked like he could step up all day long. Hopefully we'll see more of him next season.

The other lad looks classy from the little I've seen. Assuming his injuries are behind him, he looks a decent prospect.

Archived