Luke Thomas - Sent to Coventry, loan extended till end of the season

Animal is a Ram

4 minutes ago, Papahet said:

Was really excited about seeing him this coming season.

Young player, low wages. Sold off for a few quid more than we paid. I really don't get the thinking at this club. If its a big fee (unlikely) id get it, but now another wide man down.

It’s a good job he hasn’t actually gone anywhere yet, because you would be in a right mess if he had.

• Replies 332
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If we are supposed to be selling to a premiership club then I.would assume it would be a descent fee up front and plenty of add on's to further inflate the fee along the line if he achieves anything.

They are buying potential which may or may not be ever realised. 

Its the old dilemma to cash in now when someone is offering you a good return on your investment or do you gamble in the hope of getting more later.

Stick or twist.

In our financial situation I think we need to bring in income into club to get players in who will make a difference for Frank now.

Well I just hope this is not happening and we get to see this lad develop for Derby and the only way we should be selling to a premiership club would be like Sheffield United who just sold Brooks to Bournemouth for £10 million after 30 odd bit part appearances - I don’t like West Ham either 

41 minutes ago, Seth's left foot said:

Why leave? Yes they’re a Premier League club but will he develop better in our team, their reserves or wherever they send him on loan.

To be fair, under Rowett, he would be forgiven for thinking he would have a better chance at West Ham than he would here. 

At least he may have a chance under Lampard & Morris, providing of course he is good enough. 

This thread has once again so how football fans are a weird bunch.

Most of the people here are totally fine selling our player of the season and not even on market price. At the same time, a rumour about selling 19-old youngster, who might or might not develop to be a proper player is too much to handle.

Enough money and the good percentage of next sales just in case he makes it to the top... more room for Lampard to build what he wants.

I do agree that he has shown potential. But wouldn't lose marbles if we would get some who is already a better player than him.

Just now, Dimmu said:

This thread has once again so how football fans are a weird bunch.

Most of the people here are totally fine selling our player of the season and not even on market price. At the same time, a rumour about selling 19-old youngster, who might or might not develop to be a proper player is too much to handle.

Enough money and the good percentage of next sales just in case he makes it to the top... more room for Lampard to build what he wants.

I do agree that he has shown potential. But wouldn't lose marbles if we would get some who is already a better player than him.

Market price is whatever people are willing to pay, surely? There's a reason we have been tarting Vydra around, it's to ensure that every man, dog, agent & club in the world know he's available at a price. Unfortunately, it seems the only one keen is Leeds & they're only willing to pay a certain amount. 

I felt when we sold Hughes, we made the decision far too quickly and didn't give other clubs the chance to register their interest & potentially create a bidding war. I know with Vydra, at least we will sell to the club who is willing to spend the most money. The reason it's been going on as long as it has is that we're clearly looking for the best deal we can get. 

Would I sell Luke Thomas for £8m - absolutely yes, without question and I'd piggyback him there. Would I sell Matej Vydra for £8m - absolutely not. The difference is that I would expect to get less than £1m for Thomas and it doesn't help our need to get the wage bill down in the slightest. 

6 minutes ago, B4ev6is said:

I am now happy about this eathier I hope we asking at least 5m for the lad plus add ons.

B4: If Hughes with all his games under his belt went for £5mn, Thomas with 10 mins of sub appearances isn't going to go for £5mn. £1.5mn tops I reckon 

Unless he really wants to go why on Earth would we let him. This keeps cropping up but I hope it’s ******** like last time... We want academy players to come though, so play them, don’t sell them! He’ll be worth little until he’s played so this woild be a stupid move, by all parties really cause I can’t see him playing there.

@Ambitious

Without going deeper into a definition of market price, yes. Capitalistic way to see it is exactly what you said. Another way to see it would be comparing the prices with the deals done lately and check background info with averages and medians and notice how prices have inflated.

Rumored fee, £11m, is an about 30th place of Championship record deals (Transfermarket). For a 26-year-old, it doesn't sound very good deal.

5 minutes ago, Dimmu said:

@Ambitious

Without going deeper into a definition of market price, yes. Capitalistic way to see it is exactly what you said. Another way to see it would be comparing the prices with the deals done lately and check background info with averages and medians and notice how prices have inflated.

Rumored fee, £11m, is an about 30th place of Championship record deals (Transfermarket). For a 26-year-old, it doesn't sound very good deal.

If it wasn't a very good deal then at least another club would be interested. We have tarted this about, no doubt, but no one seems arsed.  I agree, it doesn't look like much, but we've done all we possibly can. 

The question is do we get more out of selling Vydra for £11m or get more out of keeping Vydra and not having the funds to spend elsewhere? In essence, you could view it as the roles being reserved and we are the buying club, because this deal sets our budget for the transfer window. 

18 minutes ago, Dimmu said:

@Ambitious

But it seems there's only one club interested.  

2 hours ago, Nijul_cluff said:

https://www.gloucestershirelive.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/derby-countys-former-cheltenham-town-1748536

Luke Thomas is flying home early from Derby County's training camp in Tenerife after being given permission to speak to West Ham United over a potential move to the Premier League club.

The 19-year-old is returning to England on Wednesday evening, three days before the rest of newly-appointed boss Frank Lampard's squad.

Thomas was the Rams' young player of the year last season, making two substitute appearances in the Championship, against QPR and Bolton Wanderers.

His first team debut netted former club Cheltenham Town £25,000 as part of the deal that saw him move to Pride Park in January 2016.

He had impressed for the Robins' youth and reserve teams, making his senior debut in an FA Trophy tie against Chelmsford City at Whaddon Road just before departing Derby.

It’s worked, all those DCFC & WHUFC fans clicking on their website and hitting the advert video. Just about sums up smalltime web journalism these days. Kerching.

Archived