Johnny Russell - Signed for Sporting Kansas City

DCFC4LIFE
Message added by David

Johnny Russell in the MLS updates > https://dcfcfans.uk/topic/28512-johnny-russell-in-the-mls/

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Really sad to hear this.

As far as the championship goes I think he’s a really good player.

Yes, he never produced consistently but I don’t think many wingers do in this league. The ones that do get a move to the PL fairly quickly, I think the reason we kept Ince for so long is only because there was a stigma surrounding him.

He’s started a lot no matter who the manager was and was one of the last great gifts Nigel gave us. With the amount of managers we’ve had, that’s the sign of a decent player.

Always been cursed by the fact he’s a fan favourite with kids and yer da, who loves players who run and try hard. A lot of people overrate him within the fan base which leads to backlash from other parts of the fan base.

Bit gutted he’s probably leaving just as we look like getting promoted, definitely a player who deserves it. Will be really sad to see him go.

39 minutes ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

He is so close to securing prem football but is jacking it in, why?

Johnny Russell is nowhere near securing premiership football- even if Derby are. If Derby do go up - Johnny would have the choice of occasionally making the subs bench for us, going to a Championship club again or going to Scotland. 

If I was him i'd be off to the MLS while he can.

He has been a great servant, I echo what was said by others on that. Surely, if Derby have come out with that it can't be because Russell has only just informed Rowett, which means they must have been looking at replacements, which is why the James McClean rumour has probably come out as an option (I'd hate the thought of replacing Johnny with him!). I'd imagine that Derby must be some way along with finding a replacement for him. A real shame, I'll be sad to see Johnny go as he was one of my favourite players.

39 minutes ago, AdamRam said:

I’d put money on the deal already being in place 

I reckon so as well. He could sign on a free for international teams but wouldn’t be able to move until the summer. It said he’d be looking to move this month so I’m guessing there’s a fee involved? If he leaves this month surely It would be something like £500k-£1? Anything less than that it would be better to just have him in the squad for the remaining few months 

The news of him not wanting to sign a new contract wasn't a surprise this morning, a move to the MLS was, and still is.

Either way, as many have said, great servant to the club, wish him luck out there and hope he finds what he's looking for. If Bradley Wright Phillips can be a star out there, JR could go on to replace the Statue of Liberty.  

Timing could have been better, but this will not have been breaking news for the club this morning, let's hope Rowett has had time to identify a suitable replacement and we can get him in and JR packed off before the window closes. 

Agree with others that something is already pretty much in place on both his move to the US and a replacement. 

The MLS transfer window is open Feb 14th to May 8th. 

I suspect we have, or will have, a deal in place for at least one other wide man over the next day or so. Otherwise it would seem odd that GR has mentioned it now. It's a good strong message that he won't be in the squad tomorrow. This system works with nothing less than 100% effort from everyone. 

Johnny will have his contract cancelled with DCFC on the 13th Feb allowing him to join Vancouver White Caps

Either he doesn't think we have a chance of promotion, or he thinks if we get promoted he wont have a chance of playing (which is probably true). Perhaps Rowett told him that we'd only look to retain him over the summer if we failed to go up. 

As much as he's been playing well recently, he's been gradually getting worse over the last few years. At the start of the season he was poor. Although i still think he's an average Championship winger, he is not irreplaceable at all, quite the opposite. Good chance now to sign an upgrade out wide. 

Archived