Johnny Russell - Signed for Sporting Kansas City

DCFC4LIFE
Message added by David

Johnny Russell in the MLS updates > https://dcfcfans.uk/topic/28512-johnny-russell-in-the-mls/

9 minutes ago, RamNut said:

The only possible attraction is the signing on fee he could get.

i still think his preference would be to stay, but we are obviously not trying too hard to convince him to stay.

There couldn't possibly be another attraction to living in the USA?

The tired, poor and huddled masses came for the signing on fee?

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

There couldn't possibly be another attraction to living in the USA?

The tired, poor and huddled masses came for the signing on fee?

I find it unlikely that he'll go there.

we'll see.

Probably been watching Thomas's performances for the Under 23s...and knows it's only a matter of time before he's the starter. Explains why Thomas (and Bennett) have not been loaned out, and the McLean conversation.

Also if he goes now - (MLS season starts March 5th) - presumably that means we get a fee ??

1 minute ago, singaporeram said:

Probably been watching Thomas's performances for the Under 23s...and knows it's only a matter of time before he's the starter. Explains why Thomas (and Bennett) have not been loaned out, and the McLean conversation.

Also if he goes now - (MLS season starts March 5th) - presumably that means we get a fee ??

Entirely up to the agreement over a fee. I'd imagine there will be one, but doubt it'll be big given he's out of contract in the summer.

Good servant to the club, great character to have in the dressing room also. But for the sake of possibly only one more half season at the club it wasn't fair to expect JR to play in limbo. 

We get promoted theres a good chance that some of the promotion money would go on wingers, so his desire to leave is probably fuelled by that. Good luck wherever he goes 

It’s certainly a surprise but it does kind of make sense. He’s a decent enough player but he’s not a regular starter for us in the Championship. If we don’t go up, he still won’t be a starter, if we do go up I doubt he’ll make our squad very often.

He’s not got in a look in for his country so his realistic choices are spend the rest of his career in the Championship, go back to the Scottish Prem and play for somebody who isn’t Celtic, or move abroad.

Better weather (dependent on the side), a good wage, a nice lifestyle for him and his family and he’ll be one of the star players. Bradley Wright Phillips is a standout player over there so it tells you what you need to know.

I am a bit surprised in the sense that I doubt many would have predicted this, but I can understand why JR would have the desire to do so.

Archived