Johnny Russell - Signed for Sporting Kansas City

DCFC4LIFE
Message added by David

Johnny Russell in the MLS updates > https://dcfcfans.uk/topic/28512-johnny-russell-in-the-mls/

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The only possible attraction is the signing on fee he could get.

i still think his preference would be to stay, but we are obviously not trying too hard to convince him to stay.

Puzzle coming together. Had the sense for awhile that Johnny wasn’t really into the Rowett experiment - who when he arrived was a big JR fan - and that JR was already looking for something different. He’s too up and down here and does need a diff setting. Plus if Derby are acknowledging that a contract renewal is a lost cause then the interest in McClean makes sense too. Perhaps GR will be looking to move Luke Thomas into the frame ASAP regardless. 

Can we assume that he won’t be playing for us now and that it will be Weimann Lawrence and Thomas as the wide men until we get an incoming?

I was speculating last season that I wonder if Johnny is one of those players that loses the love for football.

When he first came he was electric, now he seems to constantly struggle to find form.

America could be a good way for him to earn a big wedge before quitting football.

He is so close to securing prem football but is jacking it in, why?

Not that bothered. He's clearly been a great character, little bit of a fan favourite, but he's never quite managed consistency and put it all together very often - although he did like to play well against Forest.

Clearly a move for his family, in my opinion, at this stage in his career. He won't be getting Premier League offers and Celtic have better wide players, so why not go over to America in your prime and get the life style and the potential to be one of the better players in the league, likely play as a central striker and score a boat load of goals for the next 5 to 10 years?

The good news for us is that we definitely need to sign a winger now - something that I feel we needed to anyway - and it needs to be a starting quality player. Should make for an interesting next few days.

Good luck to him, goes with my blessing, just a shame we hadn't sorted a couple of weeks earlier.

Archived