2018 Winter Olympics

AmericanRam

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply
29 minutes ago, AmericanRam said:

Starts on February 9th.

I am a bigger fan of the Summer Olympics, but enjoy the Winter games as well.

Main events I will be watching will be the bobsled and the speed skating.

Anybody else plan on watching some of it? Favorite event?

I like the one where 6 skiers set off from the top of a course at the same time, and they race down to the bottom of the course.

Whoever doesn't fall wins.

8 minutes ago, HantsRam said:

Quite enjoy the ice hockey.

Hope that we're not successful at curling again. No offence to the Scots who make up the GB team but it really isn't a riveting spectator sport.

Be fair, it’s like bowls on ice. I used to love a bit of bowls on a Sunday mid morning when I was going over (it’s amazing what **** we used to watch when there were only 1/2/3/4/5 channels (delete according to your age, for me it’s 4)).

Just now, TigerTedd said:

Be fair, it’s like bowls on ice. I used to love a bit of bowls on a Sunday mid morning when I was going over (it’s amazing what **** we used to watch when there were only 1/2/3/4/5 channels (delete according to your age, for me it’s 4)).

Nowt wrong with bowls  (or curling) as participation sports.

They're just not great for spectating. 

• 2 weeks later...

A lad I went to school with who I was (briefly) friends with is a reserve for the bobsleigh team. Also I'm a fan of Elise Christie. That is the extent of my knowledge when it comes to the Winter Olympics.

Other than that, I don't really watch the Olympics. I enjoy it if its on when I turn the TV on, but I don't watch TV really. I'll watch particularly good highlight videos but that's as far as my interest goes. I far and away prefer the winter events to the summer games though, much more interesting. 

Time for my usual rant about BBC sport.

I was happily watching the women's tea tray sliding, when, after 10 or 11 competitors had gone down, lo and behold, voice-over man comes on and says "We'll be back to the luge later on, but for now back to Claire and her guests."

Viewers were then treated to Ms. Baldwin and assorted halfwits giggling whilst some bloke tried to put on a lycra suit over his normal clothing. This was followed by what seemed to be 3 hours of inane wittering about bugger all.

Why does the BBC always do this? Meanwhile, there is actual sport going on, you know the stuff that people have tuned in to watch and the BBC have used other people's money to pay to cover.

4 hours ago, JoetheRam said:

Snowboard Cross is mental.

Downhill and Super G in the skiing are always good.

4 man bobsleigh and skeleton/luge are decent.

Nothing else appeals really.

Dunno, this OARussian curler was worth a watch other night.

E505E182-6974-427E-8D1B-93B6EF8CA112.jpeg

Archived