Johnny Russell - Will he sign a new contract?

Cam the Ram

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A quite strange career decision for the player of his age.

He could've stayed and eventually moved to another Championship clubs for a few more years.

I don't believe he's moving for money, cause the salaries in the USA are not so high for the most of the players.

I have read some time ago, how much Giles Barnes was earning at the beginning of his MLS career.

I was really surprised how ridiculous low was for the player of his caliber.

Something like 3.800 USD or so a week / 184.000 USD a year.

https://www.dynamotheory.com/2013/5/6/4306660/houston-dynamo-mls-salaries-released

Only a big PL players or international football stars can get some lucrative deals for themselves.

It was obvious to me for some time he isn't going to extend his contract, when all other players in the squad have already done it .

4 minutes ago, lioncoeur said:

He could've stayed and eventually moved to another Championship clubs for a few more years.

I don't believe he's moving for money, cause the salaries in the USA are not so big for the most of the players.

I have read some time ago, how much Giles Barnes was earning at the beginning of his MLS career.

https://www.dynamotheory.com/2013/5/6/4306660/houston-dynamo-mls-salaries-released

Only a big PL players or international football stars can get some lucrative deals for themselves.

It was obvious to me for some time he isn't going to extend his contracts, when all other players in the squad have done it already.

The money side is interesting, but maybe he has a reasonable wedge put away and wants a life adventure. You only get one shot. Scots are popular in the states. He has reached his peak in our footballing terms, so what is it same old same old ? ... or a couple of years in the US seeing how others live. 

1 minute ago, jono said:

The money side is interesting, but maybe he has a reasonable wedge put away and wants a life adventure. You only get one shot. Scots are popular in the states. He has reached his peak in our footballing terms, so what is it same old same old ? ... or a couple of years in the US seeing how others live. 

We'll never know or we'll hear it one day, what was the real reason.

Its sad.... i think.

Good luck to him, but... bristol city game apart, this season has seen some of his best games for us. Certainly recently.

Gary Rowett and his system has given Johnny the space and belief he can take players on again and beat them. WE havent been able to say that too many times during his other seasons for us.

David Beckham's making an announcement about a new team in Miami sometime this week.  Maybe that's what Johnny has his eye on and maybe that's why the wait.

There was a RamsTV interview with Johnny as they came into pre-season at Moor Farm either this season or last.  In that he referred to it being difficult on and off the pitch the previous season.  I wonder if it's not only footballing reasons that he wants to make such a big move - perhaps he just wants to get his family somewhere very different and away from the UK.

Either way, good luck Johnny and thanks for some great memories

22 minutes ago, ilkleyram said:

David Beckham's making an announcement about a new team in Miami sometime this week.  Maybe that's what Johnny has his eye on and maybe that's why the wait.

There was a RamsTV interview with Johnny as they came into pre-season at Moor Farm either this season or last.  In that he referred to it being difficult on and off the pitch the previous season.  I wonder if it's not only footballing reasons that he wants to make such a big move - perhaps he just wants to get his family somewhere very different and away from the Uk.

Either way, good luck Johnny and thanks for some great memories

Brexit means Brexit

Blatantly obvious...... David Beckham is running out of skin for more ink. Johnny sees an opportunity to extend his current inkings and sees Mr B as a renowned world leader in unfathomable tats. Look forward to your continued success Johnny . Good luck mate 

5 hours ago, lioncoeur said:

I don't believe he's moving for money, cause the salaries in the USA are not so high for the most of the players.

It was obvious to me for some time he isn't going to extend his contract, when all other players in the squad have already done it .

Its a great move for him, decent climate a few hours drive from the coolest place in the USA (Boulder) and he will be getting a really good deal....if he is getting anywhere near those figures you mentioned he will live like a king over here, it is much cheaper to live and he will be able to go anywhere at all and not be bothered by anyone.

I called this way back when Rowett said that they'd offered terms but they may not necessarily sign. I get the impression we offered a deal out of loyalty rather than merit, probably not what he was expecting - it's a good move all round, since he's been here he's been a good player but in terms of consistency and quality in the final third he's actually declined in the past couple of seasons. Good luck to him, let's get some fresh blood in ?

3 minutes ago, MuespachRam said:

Its a great move for him, decent climate a few hours drive from the coolest place in the USA (Boulder) and he will be getting a really good deal....if he is getting anywhere near those figures you mentioned he will live like a king over here, it is much cheaper to live and he will be able to go anywhere at all and not be bothered by anyone.

I believe you, when you are saying the life is much cheaper in USA.

I heard it so myself from someone who lived in USA (Boston, Seattle) a several years ago.

Except for the medical costs, everything else is fine.

The salary which Giles Barnes was receiving at the beginning when he arrived is now much higher.

He's nowadays one of the best paid players in the league, as he's holding this so called: Guaranteed Status - DSP.

43. Orlando City F - Giles Barnes (Jamaica): $781,000

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/soccer-insider/wp/2017/04/25/the-50-highest-paid-players-in-mls-in-2017/

Johnny Russell won't have such a status at the beginning.

Russell's timing is a bit off with this move - he's just missed out on teaming up with a former Ram,
one of the poison dwarf's finest stellar Premier League signings from the 'Season of Shame', Benny Feilhaber :-

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/mls/sporting-kc/article192860119.html

"January 03, 2018 07:06 PM

Updated January 04, 2018 09:44 AM

The tenure of one of the most accomplished midfielders in Sporting Kansas City history came to a sudden end Wednesday.

Sporting KC traded midfielder Benny Feilhaber to expansion-side Los Angeles FC in exchange for $400,000 in allocation 
money. Those funds will be split evenly between general and targeted allocation money.

Feilhaber, who turns 33 later this month, totaled 29 goals and 41 assists in five MLS seasons in Kansas City, 
including a 2015 campaign that thrust him into the league’s most valuable player race."

Davies signed Feilhaber for £1,350,000 in July 2007, and he left on a free transfer 12 months later after just 
10 appearances - https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/benny-feilhaber/profil/spieler/33118

Feilhaber was the fifth highest earner at Kansas last year, on $600,000 per year. Top earner was ex-Wigan player 
Roger Espinoza on $850,000 per year. All MLS Player Salaries for 2017 can be seen here :- 

https://deadspin.com/here-are-the-2017-salaries-for-mls-players-1794648467

Archived