Local PFI [trams]loss

King Kevin

With Carillion making the headlines another PFI funded enterprise closer to home NET the Nottingham tram system lost £48.5 million last year . This system is muted to be extended to Derby with the advent of HS2 at Toton [another PFI initiative]. 

My personal thoughts that the trams are not worth the disruption that building them as caused, how would you feel if Derby had to endure  years of disruption whilst building a tram network?

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, King Kevin said:

With Carillion making the headlines another PFI funded enterprise closer to home NET the Nottingham tram system lost £48.5 million last year . This system is muted to be extended to Derby with the advent of HS2 at Toton [another PFI initiative]. 

My personal thoughts that the trams are not worth the disruption that building them as caused, how would you feel if Derby had to endure  years of disruption whilst building a tram network?

Went through it here mate.

The only complaint I have is that they didn’t make the network bigger,it’s great in Sheffield.

Every one kicks off at the time but it’s well worth it.

In Notts they introduced the car park levy which means if you work near the city centre your work car parking place costs you hundreds of pounds a year . Currently £402 within the city boundary. 

I know of several big companies that will leave Nottingham when their lease is up . The other problem is it takes longer than the bus to get to the city centre from the West side of town .

So far not impressed ,glad you like the one in Sheffield .

11 minutes ago, King Kevin said:

In Notts they introduced the car park levy which means if you work near the city centre your work car parking place costs you hundreds of pounds a year . Currently £402 within the city boundary. 

I know of several big companies that will leave Nottingham when their lease is up . The other problem is it takes longer than the bus to get to the city centre from the West side of town .

Similar here,the council uses it as a way of bullying more money out of people and the service I use takes a lot longer than the bus but you can get a ticket for anything,about 4.50 all day and go anywhere tram or bus.

Nearest stop to me is 2 miles but I like to run and tram it to work when the weather picks up.

Great system,poorly thought out like all public service projects.

5 minutes ago, King Kevin said:

It's a very expensive toy, and has created many long term problems, for some.

The parking levy is a pain in the arse, since it was introduced some firms have closed their staff parking, which means employees leave their cars on local streets instead.

The council's solution is to introduce resident parking permits, but in my case I work in a Victorian mill on an otherwise residential street, we have 10 cars between our workforce, and a maximum of 2 parking permits at any one time, which cost over £200 p/a each.

This leads to parking miles away from work, in a non permit zone, and a couple of colleagues have had their car vandalised while doing so.

It wouldn't be so bad, but few of the lazy feckers on our street actually bother with work, instead saluting us when they walk past at lunchtime with their cans of Stella and a spliff, or nipping out in dressing gowns to bring in the milk, as if to say thanks for working, so we don't have to!

For what it's cost so far, they could have bought every city resident a Bentley and let them arrive at work/sign on in style.

Don't even get me started on the poor phasing of the lights at certain junctions, which leaves a tantalising stretch of road empty while you wait for the green light to show, even though you could drive straight ahead without impeding the tram in any way whatsoever. 

In summery, not a fan.

2 hours ago, King Kevin said:

It's the most environmentally friendly means of transport so should be supported. Best way to link pride park and the city centre IMO. 

1 hour ago, PistoldPete2 said:

It's the most environmentally friendly means of transport so should be supported. Best way to link pride park and the city centre IMO. 

I would agree that linking the raynesway, pride park and the train station would be easy

Trams well worth it. Cost wise it's expensive. Nottingham has the best and well-used public transport for a city its size. 16m journeys made on it last year. With new offices and jobs now going more towards city centre locations you can't provide enough car parking or road space to accommodate everyone driving in by themselves.

Usedto live up in Manchester where it was a load more expensive and you couldn't switch from bus to tram with same ticket etc.

Used to live in Derby and work at the QMC in Notts. The tram was a godsend from Toton Lane, cut out all the A52 traffic and was only late for work twice in the 2 years I commuted that way.

Also got a discounted pass for the whole tram network, nice and easy for social trips into Nottingham too. 

9 hours ago, sage said:

I would agree that linking the raynesway, pride park and the train station would be easy

Yes, and linking train station to the intu centre and the bus station would be easy too. The cathedral end a bit tougher tho maybe run it up East street and St peters street to avoid traffic chaos during and after construction. 

12 hours ago, King Kevin said:

Worst mistake this Derby City council made not building a tram system , annoys me that Nottingham has one , just proves the city is more forward thinking than Derby 

I am quite happy to have parking levies, should be no excuse to drive into a city centre (on a regular basis ) when you have a tram system 

Archived