Jerome's a good player....

NorwichLad

Seen a few suggest otherwise.

Very hard working, surprising turn of pace, team player who you can tell actually cares about his own performance and results + decent bloke. 

Not the most clinical so isn't one of those players who gets 1 chance and buries it, but don't think that matters when you are a team player and always willing to square the ball to your forward partner... if you're Darren Bent then finishing is 80% of your game! 

Is a good choice for a team in your situation, will work his socks off for 70 minutes and tire out the opposition defence and you can bring a pace merchant on for 20 minutes to finish the job, or he'll come on for 20 minutes when the chips are down and mix things up a bit. 

Sensible contract length... probably just at that very point where he's started to lose a bit of stamina, but won't be rapid enough for him to be 'done' before 18 months is up. 

Struggled in our current system, and I think that's probably 80% of the reason for his poor season for us.

You've basically got a player who will run all day trying to make things happen who will go for every 50/50.... good choice for a club who wants players to pull together. Easy to say "another old player" etc, but he's one of those lead by example types... if he's in the team then the gaffer can say to those on the bench "work that hard and you can have his place". 

If you go up though.... you'll be loaning him back to the Champs. Reason = not clinical enough for the Premier League where a smaller team may get 2 good chances in a game, and has to take one of them. 

Good luck for the rest of the season. 

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Won't take long for Derby fans to at least respect him for his work rate, put it that way.... hasn't played much for a couple of months so don't know what his fitness is like currently, but he'll run all day when that's up to scratch. 

Seen our fair share of 30 year old half hearted players who don't care in recent years at Norwich.... he's not one of them. May look like a journeyman on wikipedia but he's a good pro. 

The problem with some high profile players of that age is that they've already made their money by 25 and have one eye on the beach, e.g. Mulumbu and Bassong who we've just got rid of. 

Jerome = has a real passion for the game. 

So whether he does well for you or not, it won't be his attitude.... not in his nature to go somewhere just for a final payday, he'll be coming to you to try and win another promotion, simple as. 

5 minutes ago, NorwichLad said:

Won't take long for Derby fans to at least respect him for his work rate, put it that way.... hasn't played much for a couple of months so don't know what his fitness is like currently, but he'll run all day when that's up to scratch. 

Seen our fair share of 30 year old half hearted players who don't care in recent years at Norwich.... he's not one of them. May look like a journeyman on wikipedia but he's a good pro. 

The problem with some high profile players of that age is that they've already made their money by 25 and have one eye on the beach, e.g. Mulumbu and Bassong who we've just got rid of. 

Jerome = has a real passion for the game. 

So whether he does well for you or not, it won't be his attitude.... not in his nature to go somewhere for a final payday, he'll be coming to you to try and win another promotion, simple as. 

I mentioned in another thread that his attitude was a big factor in Rowett signing him. 

Just now, Gypsy Ram said:

Didn't you post something along the line that Johnson couldn't pass, cross and tackle when we signed him? Or something like that? Eitherway, you weren't far off.

I said that his passing was rubbish and that he wasn't very good in a deep role, just because he's tough didn't make him Roy Keane.

Then you played him in a deep role :lol:

Played left side of a diamond and got forward a lot in that great season for us, then you spent £6m on him and didn't play him in the same place :ph34r:

I'd have Bradley Johnson back now as a squad player for something like £800k though, I did like him.... just thought spending £6m on him was only ever going to be a good idea if you replicated our system and played him in the exact same role.... which you didn't do :lol:

'Team Player' stands out most for me in your post.

This is exactly what Rowett wants and why Nugent is often first pick.

He wants the person leading the line to work for the team, defend from the front, close down the opposition when we're out of possession. From every Norwich fans post that I've read, Jerome's work rate cannot be questioned.

I'm looking forward to seeing Jerome play for us and to be honest, most people are saying he's going to be a 'impact player' coming off the bench. I think he'll be first pick if he takes his chance. He's probably the most all around striker we have.

I will add this....

In March last year I went to Sheffield Wednesday away, we lost 5-1. 

It was the worst performance I've seen from us in almost a decade. Spineless, pitiful, pathetic. 

Jacob Murphy, the same player who was sold for £12m to Newcastle in the summer, was the very worst of them all.... looked like he wanted to be at home cuddling his teddy bear. He was subbed at half time after hardly breaking a sweat, hiding from the ball and dodging several 50/50's.

I'll never forget that day because it was my f*cking birthday. 

Two Norwich players out of 14 used that day retained my respect.... and one of those was Cameron Jerome, who was still working his b*llocks off along with Wes Hoolahan to try and make something happen when the game was well and truly lost and everybody else had downed tools. 

Wes + Jerome = They were playing for pride. Even Johnny Howson f*cked me off that day, and he's a very good pro too. 

Managed to walk away from the ground dejected to hear a Sheffield Wednesday fan say to his mate that Jerome must be the best striker in the league! We'd just been pummeled, and he still left that impression on a Wednesday supporter. 

Probably in danger of hyping up a player who probably needs to build fitness and may not look stellar for his first couple of games, but Norwich fans really respect him and unfortunately can't say that about a lot of our players from last season, good luck to the bloke.

Thanks for postinng @NorwichLadand Let's hope you're right. Conor Sammon worked hard and was a team player but not a finisher. Jerome is obviously a far, far better player, but our success this season has been built on quite lethal finishing, taking most of our chances clinically and stopping opponents from doing the same. Those fine margins have been what have got us where we are.

If we now bring in a player who doesn't convert many chances, as has always been the case with Jerome, then there is a possibility we'll lose the advantage our current strikeforce gives us. We're all hoping Jerome is the right person for the right price but I'd rather have kept our current, much deadlier, strikeforce than bring him in. Now we wait to see who will leave to make way. And if they go to promotion rivals.

Put it this way folks, if we sold Chris Martin, there'd be a fair share of people queueing up to tell the buying club that he's fat, mardy and lazy when at least two of those things are objectively just not true (he is a bit mardy) 

Jerome scores goals. And goalscorers tend to get the weight of the whole world placed on their shoulders. No matter how many you score, it's never enough. 

I'd like to think we have some good finishers and if Jerome's guts and power can create oportunities for others then it's all to the good. His strike rate looks sound rather than brilliant but if he is a foil for Vydra and Lawrence or others (and I suspect this will be the case ) then we have a solid signing at a reasonable price. And more to the point, the right one for where we are now. 

42 minutes ago, Gypsy Ram said:

Didn't you post something along the line that Johnson couldn't pass, cross and tackle when we signed him? Or something like that? Eitherway, you weren't far off.

But he can head the ball and score goals which is helpful

38 minutes ago, NorwichLad said:

I'd have Bradley Johnson back now as a squad player for something like £800k though, I did like him.... just thought spending £6m on him was only ever going to be a good idea if you replicated our system and played him in the exact same role.... which you didn't do :lol:

Clement signed him - say no more and then he put Jacob Butterfield next to him!

30 minutes ago, NorwichLad said:

I will add this....

In March last year I went to Sheffield Wednesday away, we lost 5-1. 

It was the worst performance I've seen from us in almost a decade. Spineless, pitiful, pathetic. 

Jacob Murphy, the same player who was sold for £12m to Newcastle in the summer, was the very worst of them all.... looked like he wanted to be at home cuddling his teddy bear. He was subbed at half time after hardly breaking a sweat, hiding from the ball and dodging several 50/50's.

I'll never forget that day because it was my f*cking birthday. 

Two Norwich players out of 14 used that day retained my respect.... and one of those was Cameron Jerome, who was still working his b*llocks off along with Wes Hoolahan to try and make something happen when the game was well and truly lost and everybody else had downed tools. 

Wes + Jerome = They were playing for pride. Even Johnny Howson f*cked me off that day, and he's a very good pro too. 

Managed to walk away from the ground dejected to hear a Sheffield Wednesday fan say to his mate that Jerome must be the best striker in the league! We'd just been pummeled, and he still left that impression on a Wednesday supporter. 

Probably in danger of hyping up a player who probably needs to build fitness and may not look stellar for his first couple of games, but Norwich fans really respect him and unfortunately can't say that about a lot of our players from last season, good luck to the bloke.

I have been that person, my birthday we lose 5-2 to Nottingham Forrest but at least you didn’t lose to Ipswich! 

38 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

If we now bring in a player who doesn't convert many chances, as has always been the case with Jerome, 

Worth noting that Jerome scored 11 more goals than Vydra last season in the Championship, scored the same number of goals as Vydra the season before when Jerome was playing a division higher, and scored 2 more goals than Vydra the season before that in the Championship.... 

.... so I'm not exactly saying that he can't score in a brothel.  

The bloke has been promoted from this division three times, for £1.5m you're buying invaluable experience. Many of your players haven't been promoted, you don't know who will crumble under pressure. Jerome won't, its been proven multiple times.

And that's before you consider how many seasons he's played for lesser teams in the Premier League and played an important role in keeping them in the division.... at Birmingham, Stoke, and Crystal Palace. 

.... when you really think about it... its a record which probably deserves a fair bit of respect.

Championship:   251 appearances (75 goals)

Premier League: 211 appearances (33 goals)

Cup Games: 53 appearances (17 goals)

Never played in a lower division.

3 x promotions from Championship

1 x League cup win

Its actually a pretty solid CV even if you are just a wikipedia geek and don't watch any football, you don't play 211 games in the Premier League for 4 different clubs if you aren't a good player.  

And 33 goals in half a career in the top division you can sneer your nose up at if you like, but 3 seasons of being brought on for 10 minutes by Pulis.... and then consider the fact that it actually took Peter Crouch about 18 years to reach 100 goals, its just a completely different level, as you found out when you got 8 points :lol:

I wonder whether people would be more excited if he'd played those 211 games in the Championship... just so his league goals column looked more impressive? 

In reality probably achieved a lot more than some strikers in this division that are more fashionable and you'd get more excited about, but in reality will retire with nowhere near as many seasons playing football in the best league in the world... if they ever get there at all. 

The blokes a good player and you have to have something exceptional about you to make it as a Premier League player..... which he undoubtedly did and possible still has. Athleticism + work rate / desire = exceptional. That's what you have bought. 

I mean, you'd get more excited about Gary Hooper right? Because of his wikipedia stats? Well we paid £6m for him, nobody was in a rush to take him back to the Premier League and he hasn't been able to earn back his place via promotion.... which Jerome has done 3 times. 

So sometimes I think people get over rated and sometimes perhaps don't get the respect they are due, and Jerome is probably the latter.

You want a top class finisher then sign Hooper.... but he lacks: Athleticism + work rate / desire ;)

And that's why Hooper is in this division and Jermaine Defoe (exceptional in those areas) is in the division above. In terms of finishing, they are very similar. 

39 minutes ago, NorwichLad said:

Worth noting that Jerome scored 11 more goals than Vydra last season in the Championship, scored the same number of goals as Vydra the season before when Jerome was playing a division higher, and scored 2 more goals than Vydra the season before that in the Championship.... 

.... so I'm not exactly saying that he can't score in a brothel.  

The bloke has been promoted from this division three times, for £1.5m you're buying invaluable experience. Many of your players haven't been promoted, you don't know who will crumble under pressure. Jerome won't, its been proven multiple times.

And that's before you consider how many seasons he's played for lesser teams in the Premier League and played an important role in keeping them in the division.... at Birmingham, Stoke, and Crystal Palace. 

.... when you really think about it... its a record which probably deserves a fair bit of respect.

Thanks for the input ,you don't have to convince me I have watched him closely in a couple of neutral games .He's just what we need I think he'll get more game time than you might imagine .

Archived